Wading into the gray market - help me find flaws before Shaw does

Jables

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 29, 2010
Houston
Well, hi all. Been reading your fine forum for a while, and am gearing up to dip into the Shaw Direct waters.

First off, I'm a 7 year D* sub, but I'd like the superior NHL coverage the folks up north have - so the Shaw sub would be purely supplemental. Setup would be an HD-PVR on one television.

So, sounds like the folks to call are KuSat - I just need the package with the 75 cm elip dish and the PVR - installation should be no problem; I did my own D* slimline and it's had no problems several years going. I also have a functional inbound & outbound Espanola # and general a delivery address up in that area.

So - a few question.

1) I know the 630 is rolling out as we speak - what's the lag time before resellers have these in stock (like KuSat)? I know the 530 is going for a song right now, but being down here in the southern provinces I'd rather get a box that's more future proof, especially with the new bird they're putting up next year.

2) I've read a large number of threads in here, am I correct in thinking the folks at KuSat, if supplied with the Canadian phone # and address, and US CC for paperless auto-bill, will set up the account & activate the box before they ship to me? That seems to be the impression I've gotten. Also, sounds like that address should never actually see any mail if I'm on paperless auto-bill, no? Some junk mail won't be an issue; it'll just end up in a burn barrel. The Espanola # rings right through to my cell phone if Shaw ever needs to talk to me, so that's not an issue.

OK, I think that's it. Lemme know if I'm missing something or have grossly misinterpreted something I've read. Thanks in advance, this site is fantastic.

Wading into the gray market

Based on your post, you're not really in the grey market. Grey market refers to those who don't have a Canadian address and who are forced to use the services of a broker to obtain one. (See sticky thread "What Is A Broker?")

Without meaning to take any business away from KuSat (they are excellent) you could really deal with Shaw directly using your Canadian Address and simply bring the equipment to the US. If you want to keep everything totally above board, you can ask the Shaw CSR about their Home Away From Home Program which allows you to bring your receiver/dish to "your cottage".

If you want to have the equipment shipped to the US, KuSat will be happy to sell you the equipment and ship to an US Address. Shaw will not ship outside Canada. It was somewhat expensive to have them ship from Montreal to Arizona, especially the dish. I think the total shipping was about $135, but it was my only option.

Whatever you do, sign up for paperless billing which will bill your credit card monthly for the programming and which will eliminate the bill from going to your Ontario address. Not sure about the junk mail, or even if there is any.

Not sure about KuSat pre-activating the receiver; but it wouldn't hurt to ask. If you set up your Shaw account using them as an intermediary, they might be willing. But with your Canadian address, you don't really need for them to do that. You could call Shaw directly once you have the dish aimed, and do the activation with Shaw yourself.

Can't help you much with the 630 questions, but there are many posts on the Digital Home forum....evidently the unit is now shipping to those who have pre-ordered.

I have never had any junk mail sent to my Canadian address from SD.

The 630s are shipping. Many people have recieved them including myself, but I have yet to activate them yet. They are suppose to be in stores Sept. 1'st.

You get the receiver activated AFTER you install it and find both birds. Otherwise you will miss the hit and you will have to do it again.

French premium channel Super Ecran sends a magasine every month and I can't opt out. In my case it's OK since it goes to my mother's house. Not sure if some other channels do the same... Other than that my Canadian address receives nothing from Shaw... (except recently a brand new 630 :))

BTW, Purolator didn't not accept the 630 to ship to the USA. This was the first time in 12 years I ever had a problem. The guy said it was illegal. I think he was just overzealous. That's OK, we shipped it Canada Post.

You get the receiver activated AFTER you install it and find both birds. Otherwise you will miss the hit and you will have to do it again.

Or is it that you find f1R first on 299, get it activated then look for F2? I can't remember it's been a while. There are lots of threads and post on the proper sequence.

Without meaning to take any business away from KuSat (they are excellent) you could really deal with Shaw directly using your Canadian Address and simply bring the equipment to the US. If you want to keep everything totally above board, you can ask the Shaw CSR about their Home Away From Home Program which allows you to bring your receiver/dish to "your cottage".

Well, it's a 1) a General Delivery address of my good friend - his cottage is up in McGregor Bay on an island, and like most everyone else there mail just gets delivered to the local PO and they have to go into town to pick it up. and 2) he's not up there right now, and driving 900 miles up there to wait around for the thing to arrive would be unrealistic. I'd spend on gas what I'd save on shipping. So I'd rather just have it sent here - but I recognize the benefit of your way if it were feasable.

Right, but I can't see why KuSat couldn't have it hooked up to a live dish to receive the activation before shipment. In any case, it's just what I remember reading in a thread from a gal out in Oregon that I can't find now. If I have to call Shaw and set up the account, no worries. More of a, "Oh, that's a pleasant plus that saves me some work." I guess I could just call KuSat and ask, eh?

And either way, I'll be fine finding the sats - I'll get some use out of my Accutrac again :)

French premium channel Super Ecran sends a magasine every month and I can't opt out.

Are you a subscriber to said channel? Or do they just blast it out to all SD subscribers regardless of their programming package?

Last edited:
Are you a subscriber to said channel? Or do they just blast it out to all SD subscribers regardless of their programming package?

Yes I subscribe.

Using a broker, I think the procedure is you receive the dish, hook it up and make sure you receive signal, then get in contact with the broker so that they proceed with the activation. In other words, they make the call to the service provider. At least that's how it was 10 years ago when I got my first Bell system. Reason is Bell being anal about USA residency. I moved on since to Shaw Direct for HD...

Since you have a canadian address you can do that call yourself.

Good luck.

Or is it that you find f1R first on 299, get it activated then look for F2? I can't remember it's been a while.

This would apply if you are using 2 separate dishes, one for each bird. Presuming the OP is going to purchase the 75e quad dish, he will find the signal (with the receiver set to 299) from both satellites at the same time. Once the signal is maximzed on 299, (he will not see a picture on this channel until he calls for activation, however the meter is usable even before activation is accomplished) he can call in (to a broker....or not...) to get activated.

Well, it's a 1) a General Delivery address of my good friend

You might want to check into this....Shaw must be provided with a service address, and I don't think a P.O. Box will fill that bill. I believe the service address must be a valid street, road, rue, chemin, etc......

Right, but I can't see why KuSat couldn't have it hooked up to a live dish to receive the activation before shipment

It isn't that they can't, it's a question of whether they will. Imagine if they had to do this for every client, they would have to hire a full-time employee just to provide this service. However, I'm second-guessing them.....I found them to be very customer-friendly and helpful

More of a, "Oh, that's a pleasant plus that saves me some work

Yes. The vendor I used in 2006 (who has moved on to other ventures in the satellite industry) pre-activated my first receiver. It avoided the possibility of a problem that might arise if I called for activation from a US number. I was new in the game at the time, and it was one less thing to worry about to have the receiver arrive pre-activated.

I guess I could just call KuSat and ask, eh

Yes, by all means. I spoke with them and they answered all the questions I had. My reason for dealing with KuSat was that they were recommended by my previous vendor & broker when it came time to upgrade to an 8PSK-compatible receiver.

The shipping took about a week and arrived by UPS. I had to pay a customs brokerage fee to the UPS guy on delivery that came to about $30....that's over and above the shipping fee that KuSat charged.

Using a broker, I think the procedure is you receive the dish, hook it up and make sure you receive signal, then get in contact with the broker so that they proceed with the activation

Yes. The purpose of the broker is to act as an intermediary between you and Shaw so that the question of the location of the receiver does not come into play. I have read where Shaw is less "anal" than Bell, but at the same time it's not wise to give Shaw a reason to ask questions for which you, personally, don't really have the right answers.

Last edited:
You might want to check into this....Shaw must be provided with a service address, and I don't think a P.O. Box will fill that bill. I believe the service address must be a valid street, road, rue, chemin, etc......

Ah, see now that's a good point. I guess I was going at it from the perspective of "what if I were my buddy?" He's from Ann Arbor, and his only Canadian address is that "General Delivery, Birch Island, ON" address. If he actually were wanting to get Shaw up at his cottage, that would be the address he would have to give - I mean, it's on an island, he has no street. Would Shaw deny him if he were legitimately trying to get sat service? I dunno how I'd check on that, but certainly something to look into.

I think I'll give the folks at KuSat a call - I'm sure they've been down the road before. Thanks all and I'll let you know how it all goes.

Right, but I can't see why KuSat couldn't have it hooked up to a live dish to receive the activation before shipment. In any case, it's just what I remember reading in a thread from a gal out in Oregon that I can't find now. If I have to call Shaw and set up the account, no worries. More of a, "Oh, that's a pleasant plus that saves me some work." I guess I could just call KuSat and ask, eh?

I have used KuSat and in their communications they indicate they will activate the box with SD, until everything is hooked up, As you say it would not hurt to ask them...

The issue is the 505 (and assuming the 530 PVR) if unplugged from the outlet for a week will lose authorization and you have to call in and get it reauthorized. I had that happen when I was moving the dish farm around for my house to get a new roof. It was unplugged for about 6 days and lost the authorization. When I called Shaw they mentioned that too.
Since it might take a week to get from Montreal to Illinois pre-activating might be moot point

^^^
I take that back, then - I guess D* boxes that can sit in storage for a year and get plugged right back in are the actual outliers :)

The issue is the 505 (and assuming the 530 PVR) if unplugged from the outlet for a week will lose authorization and you have to call in and get it reauthorized.

Interesting......

Both my DSR-315 (2006) & DSR319 (2010) were pre-activated and arrived with no re-authorization required.

Furthermore, when I received the DSR-319, I requested my broker de-activate the old DSR-315 so I wouldn't pay a multiple receiver fee for more than just one month. Several weeks later, I took it out of the box and hooked it up and it still worked!! So I haven't had any experience with a receiver de-activating due to non-use.

And.....I'm still being charged for 2 receivers, though only 1 is in use. Has anyone else with a brokered account had any difficulty getting an out-of-service receiver off their account?

When I mean lose authorization you will still get the freebies like
351 Access
354 Knowledge
392 Shopping
825 VoiucePrint

But the rest say "acquiring signal"

If you know your account number, you can get a re-hit through the Shaw Direct website.

My broker with whom I have done business since 2006 offered me the opportunity to know my account number and other details so that I could use the self-serve portion of the Shaw website, and this, only after doing business with them for a while. Prior to that, this information was not shared with me and program changes & re-hits had to be done through the broker....for a fee.

I'm not sure all brokers will give you your account information, however.....it would be interesting to know.....

I did get a chance to call KuSat this morning - they said the expect they'll have 630s in stock the middle of September, so I'm going to hold off until then. Wasn't able to ask more questions as I had to take an actual work-related phone call.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts