Wah wah. DISH is mean!!!!

tnsprin

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 27, 2003
Until I got my second ViP622, which they insisted I could not install myself, I had never seen any paperwork and never signed anything.

Van

SatelliteGuys Master
Jul 8, 2004
Virginia Beach
As a DISH Network Sales Partner and Retailer I agree 100% with what your saying, but its the DNSC installers who cause this problem by not doing their Job by connecting the phone lines properly in the first place.
I appreciate the back up but will disagrea on one point, lets change it from the above to what it really is wich is

but its the lazy installers who cause this
what I have found it to be wether dnsc or sub / retailer. There had been a few times where I had went out to help fellow dnsc techs and I had to ask them about wether or not they had said anything to the customer about the phone line connection and with one I did it every time because every time he failed to bring it up, last time he did it I just up and left and told my supervisor about and that I had had enough of helping him out of his short comings.

I was the last of two techs and an fsm that got actual hardwiring training in chicago in early 02 from my shop, dish made no efforts to train anyone since then on hardwiring a phone line so all most techs would do is run a line along the wall to a jack, I did a few hardwires but stopped that as it was taking to much time when I would have 5 or 6 jobs to complete and 300 miles to cover.

Van

SatelliteGuys Master
Jul 8, 2004
Virginia Beach
Until I got my second ViP622, which they insisted I could not install myself, I had never seen any paperwork and never signed anything.
Any time you have a service call or install theres paper work including a contract form, if you have never seen anything until recently then someones forging your name and or writing on the paper work and possibly putting into your account that you have refused to sign paper work.

Zero327

SatelliteGuys Pro
Oct 8, 2006
The Emerald City
I'm not a lawyer but I did spend 6 months on contract law in college and have successfully defended myself in court (bad idea, btw) in contract law scenarios, have received accolades from my contract law professor (a local magistrate judge) for class performance, and successfully defended myself against a major satellite tv company in Federal Court. I don't claim to know everything, but I'm pretty dang confident in what I previously stated.

You must be kidding... Six months is no more than two college courses. It's criminal to even put someone like that in a courtroom. And good for your professor, let me shake his hand and we can have some drinks.

You're talking about a multi-billion dollar Fortune 500 company that has unlimited resources and who each member of the legal staff makes more on retainer than you'll see in your lifetime. You can be as confident as you like, but unless you have a Juris Doctorate, I'd play by the rules if I were you. Theorterical law and courtroom law are two different things.

In case you're wondering, three years; contract, tort, employment law and counting.

lumpkin666

SatelliteGuys Pro
Feb 21, 2007
USA
You must be kidding... Six months is no more than two college courses.
6 months is 2 Sections with multiple classes.
You must be kidding... Six months is no more than two college courses. It's criminal to even put someone like that in a courtroom.
Criminal? No. Obviously you know that. Not a good idea? Probably not (didn't I mention that already?) (btw, not that it matters, but my contract law education occurred after my court appearances)
In case you're wondering, three years; contract, tort, employment law and counting.
I wasn't wondering. Don't care. I know the law well enough for this argument. If there is no meeting of the minds, there is no contract - of course making the argument could prove cumbersome.

I did say "Of course, the cost of doing so would probably be higher (in terms of legal expense, risk, and time in court) than it would be worth." So you tell me, if I spend literally a gazillion dollars on legal expenses to go up against Charlie's attorneys (which by the way, he contracts out his little court cases.. and many of these contracted law firms are bumbling fools who know less about the laws involved than the postman does... and they won't bother to research anything because they are so certain that they are geniuses, and their time is too valuable to be bothered by such research for a trivial few dollars), I won't have the possibility of making the "meeting of the minds" argument in court? Having a judge lecture your opponent in court over this matter really drives this point home.

I stand by my statement as written, and really have nothing more to add/argue about. I don't have anything to prove that I haven't already proven personally, so I'll move by to my corner of the forums :hatsoff:

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
That's a lame excuse, at least in regards to Dish's agreement. It's not very long (2 pages max, I think) and thankfully isn't written in legalese. The average person should be able to understand the wording....

Remember, the installer CAN'T leave 'til you sign off. He/she will wait, whether they like it or not.

You should never sign anything without reading it first. Period.

mike123abc

Too many cables
Supporting Founder
Sep 25, 2003
Norman, OK
Back to the original subject, storms have tripped my power strip before on my 622s. If I do not notice one of them is off, I have gotten the $5 charge.

knkayotte

Sep 7, 2006
Sorry this is a BS charge, you DO NOT need a line hooked up to your receiver. Just got off the phone with Dish to get the charge removed, which the did for a year.

Van

SatelliteGuys Master
Jul 8, 2004
Virginia Beach
Sorry this is a BS charge, you DO NOT need a line hooked up to your receiver. Just got off the phone with Dish to get the charge removed, which the did for a year.
And you figure this is how? A 622 is two receivers put into one box plain and simple and if you had two single tuners in your home you would be paying for the additional receiver at $5 a month and theres no way to get out of that unless you have a dual tuner and have it hooked up to a phone line. There are only two legitimate reasons for not having the phone line hooked up, you only have cell service or there is no jack reasonably located within 25ft of the receiver, outside of that if you have a phone jack then hook the line up and live your life.

webbydude

SatelliteGuys Master
Feb 6, 2005
Akron, Ohio, United States
Every Dish Network guideline of business rule that I have ever seen says that the installation of the phone line is part of the standard installation. If im not mistaken it says "Phone lines will be installed in a manner to ensure connectivity over time" which basically means you don't run it accross the floor, and if necessary you install a jack.

As far as im concerned, the installers are not doing their Job when it comes to installing phone lines. Yes the sales partner needs to mention it at the time of sale, but at the same time its the duty of the installer to disclose it to the customer that there will be a penalty for not connecting up the phone lines before the installation even begins.

The installers have a choice on this issue, they can install the phone line as part of the basic installation like all the installation manuals and guidelines say its required, or they can be the bearer of bad news and explain to the customer why they are not hooking it up and the associated fees.

If the installer does not want to be the bad guy to the customer, then hook up the phone lines!

BTW, there is nothing in the business rules or installation guidelines that says its ok to charge the customer if the phone line is not within 25 feet of the receiver. Everything I have read says it needs to be connected and they will charge you back if its not connected.

This crap where the installer puts the phone bypass on the account and does not say anything to the customer is worse than the sales partner not disclosing it to the customer at the time of sale.

Not completely disagreeing with you Claude, but where...EXACTLY...does it say an installer has to install a phone jack? Everything I've ever seen says it's the installer's responsibility to connect the receiver to an existing phone jack...within 25 foot; which is the exact length of phone line that is included with every E* receiver. As you stated, if said phone line crosses over a hallway or is otherwise unaesthetically pleasing...then don't do it.

It's admirable that your installers are doing this. At the same time, it's not an E* rule. I understand and appreciate where you're coming from. You're simply trying to (A) help your customers out and (B) minimize any service calls or chargebacks.

guerra

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
May 29, 2007
San Francisco/Tracy
How does it screw up your DSL? I have DSL here at my parents house and the phone line has always been connected to the receivers. Never had any problem with it...

clrntsqueak

SatelliteGuys Family
Jun 12, 2007
Everyone's DSL/phone line situation is different. Just because you don't have problems doesn't mean it isn't an issue at all. I personally have no problems either but I don't discredit others stating that they have issues with DSL and receiver phone line hookup. In that case, I think Dish Network should make an exception because every effort was made to hook up the receivers.

Van

SatelliteGuys Master
Jul 8, 2004
Virginia Beach
Some of the 522's and 322's used to mess with the phone lines, it was a production issue. There are instances to where the homes phone wiring has caused problems as well as bad filters and a back ground or lack of one.

srs913

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jan 8, 2006
Point blank and I can not say this any more clear, the phone line fee is nothing more then a BULL sh*t charge. My tv does not need to be plugged into my phone line and I mean that. Is having my tv connected to my phone line going to make watching Family Guy any different, NO it will not. Dish Network is nothing more then a tv provider and not the phone company. Which brings me to the next point, call the phone company to come out and install a phone jack, they charge anywhere from 50 to 100 bucks to do it. Dish techs are satellite techs and not phone techs, they don't work for the phone company and I don't expect them to touch my phone line, thats the phone company's job.

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
Point blank and I can not say this any more clear, the phone line fee is nothing more then a BULL sh*t charge. My tv does not need to be plugged into my phone line and I mean that. Is having my tv connected to my phone line going to make watching Family Guy any different, NO it will not. Dish Network is nothing more then a tv provider and not the phone company. Which brings me to the next point, call the phone company to come out and install a phone jack, they charge anywhere from 50 to 100 bucks to do it. Dish techs are satellite techs and not phone techs, they don't work for the phone company and I don't expect them to touch my phone line, thats the phone company's job.

Point blank, read the agreement before you sign it.

And why not try BS next time instead of spelling it out for us.

srs913

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jan 8, 2006
Point Blank, Dish is not a phone company, and its because of that they have no right to touch phone lines. If a dish tech screws up a phone line that causes the phone company to have to come out and fix, who eats that cost, oh yeah let me just say the customer does and not dish. So once again my point is made about this topic.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)