Waiver Refusal

RaiderZA

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 30, 2004
I have been trying to get a waiver from the local ABC affiliate- which is 70 miles away (KTVO, Kirksville, MO) and unaavailible unless I get a HUGE unsightly antenna. They have refused to give a waiver, so I emailed them directly and asked why. This is what I got in reply:
" At this time our parent corporation is not allowing us to issue any satellite waivers. Our signal is available to all satellite carriers to be placed on their systems. To date KTVO is not being offered as a local option on any satellite system. KTVO is currently negotiating with all satellite providers to get our signal placed on their systems, this is a promise made by satellite providers for several years and the reason for the entire government sanctioned waiver process."

Say what? So while Dish Network and these local yokels have a pissing contest, there is no way I can get ABC, unless I get cable? Do I have any other options here? I am in Quincy, IL.

Locals say Dish is refusing to air their signal

The local channel now says that Dish won't air their signal, EVEN THOUGH THAT ARE NOT CHARGING DISH FOR IT.
Does that sound right?
Looks like I have to get on Dish Network's case about this!

With Dish who knows, they are always fighting with someone. Some risked losing there WB and UPN owned by Saint Clair Broadcasting close to me a few months back. According to the television stations here Dish and DirecTV does pay something per sub for there station. Even though some channels may opt not to charge anything for carriage at all.

RaiderZA said:
The local channel now says that Dish won't air their signal, EVEN THOUGH THAT ARE NOT CHARGING DISH FOR IT.
Does that sound right?
Looks like I have to get on Dish Network's case about this!
That's because Dish does not have any stations in the Kirksville, MO market. When E10 goes up, they'll likely add it along with the rest of the unserved markets.

Dish is nuts

I contacted Dish to find out why they do not carry the local ABC affiliate (KTVO, 70 mi away), this was their reply ( I do not understand a word of it):
"Thank you for your e-mail. We do not purchase the locals from the affiliate but we purchase them as a package from a programming vendor in one package not individually. So it would actually be a matter if they offered them to our program vendor which is usually the broadcasters.

It may be possible that if the Affilate you spoke to would electronically submit a permission to add that programming to our Waiver department we could possibly add that on.

As a current customer, you may also use our website to view your current or previous billing statements, add services, or make payments to your account. Please use the following link ( https://customersupport.dishnetwork.com/customercare/UserManagement/login.jsp ) to visit our Online Customer Support Center.

Your business is greatly appreciated and we thank you for allowing us to be of assistance to you. If you have any further questions or concerns, please refer to www.dishnetwork.com or reply to this e-mail.

Sincerely, etc"

Can someone please translate? :confused:

FYI, Here was my original email:
""Question: I am unable to get the local ABC channel from Dish Network

because it is not offered in the Locals package. I have applied for a

waiver thru Dish because the ABC station (KTVO) is 70 miles away and

unavailable by OTA antenna. However, the ABC affiliate has repeatedly

denied the waiver. I have inquired from them as to why, and they gave me

the following reply:

"As I have stated the issue is not with KTVO. our signal is available to

the satellite companies just like all the signals you receive. Unlike

several networks we do not charge the satellite companies a dime for the

use of it, but you have to pay to receive it. The issue you have is with

your satellite provider, not KTVO. Urge your provider to put this signal

on their system and you will receive it, after all your paying the bill. -

John Wise, Chief Engineer, KTVO"

From their reply, they state that it is DISH who refuses to carry their

ABC signal as part of the locals package, even though they are offering it

for free. Please tell me why is this the case? It is my understanding

that Direct TV subscribers in the area have access to local ABC or they

get waivers without the problems we are having as Dish subscribers.

Please assist me in getting ABC.""

RaiderZA said:
I contacted Dish to find out why they do not carry the local ABC affiliate (KTVO, 70 mi away), this was their reply ( I do not understand a word of it):
"Thank you for your e-mail. We do not purchase the locals from the affiliate but we purchase them as a package from a programming vendor in one package not individually. So it would actually be a matter if they offered them to our program vendor which is usually the broadcasters.

It may be possible that if the Affilate you spoke to would electronically submit a permission to add that programming to our Waiver department we could possibly add that on.

Sincerely, etc"

Can someone please translate? :confused:

""

Translated: We don't feel like carrying KTVO, so we're using doublespeak to make you feel that a waiver will give you access to KTVO.

Someone may have told you that the FCC now allows us to carry KTVO in Adams County, IL, because it is considered significantly viewed. We don't want to admit that because then you'd really be on our back.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts