Waiver requests

BCSA5115

Original poster
Dec 6, 2004
Delaware
I live in Central Delaware, at the end of the Philadelphia DMA. I have applied for waivers for distant local networks for the last 4 years (I like distant tv mind you and also have PHILLY LOCALS.) I was granted distant locals for ABC and FOX the very first time I applied for waivers. Unfortunately NBC and CBS constantly deny my distant local requests. I have tried contacting representatives from PHILLY CBS and NBC but I can't seem to get a hold of them. Is there a person to speak to at WCAU and KYW. Also if ABC and FOX granted me a waiver, why can't CBS and NBC. I am about 80 miles away from PHILLY.

Are you more interested in HD distants, or regular (analog) distants? In your other post you were talking about getting CBS-HD along with your Philly locals. Here you're talking about analog distants.

Unfortunately, SHVERA may well put an end to your ability to get distants any way other than in HD. It appears anyone that has both LIL and analog distants will have to choose between one or the other. (Though if the ABC and Fox affiliates were nice enough to give you a waiver, they may do it again--even though I understand most pre-SHVERA waivers will have to be renewed under SHVERA.) OTOH, getting HD distants may be easier for you under SHVERA, although you'll probably still have to get that waiver from the Salisbury CBS station.

I applied for a distant local waiver for FOX since I lost my FOX distant local about 6 months ago (I used to get one out NY and one from LA). Anyway, I applied for a waiver via the Dish website about a month ago and have checked the status a few times...it's still "pending".

About how long does the process take anyway? I still have my ABC, NBC and CBS distant locals, which is nice, but wouldn't mind an east coast FOX channel at all. :)

long_time_DNC,

It normally takes 30-45 days to receive an answer from your local affiliates.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here in Houston is pretty much impossible to get an approval.

I have sent waiver requests several times to ABC, CBS and NBC and all of them have been rejected. The only one that approved my request (and on the first try) was FOX.

The stations have 45 days to reply, if they don't, then approval is granted by default.
If you are refused, you can reapply in 60 days.

Fox granted my waiver the first try.
CBS granted on the second try.
both ABC & NBC said no (not sure which station, as my address lies halfway between Atlanta and Macon, so waivers have to go through both).

Derwin0 said:
The stations have 45 days to reply, if they don't, then approval is granted by default.
If you

Now that is encouraging. I didn't know that a no reply by the stations automatically gives you a waiver. I can hope that my local CBS affiliate is lazy. They don't even have a digital station on the air let alone HD.

When I applied for a wavier thru E*'s web site. Only took 3 days for CBS,NBC, ABC to all say denied. Month later Fox said approved!
I didnt know you could try again 60 days later, CBS is the one I really want.

Well, it's been about a month since I applied for the distant local waiver for Fox via E*'s website and the status is still pending. I wonder, will they inform me via email or will the option for a Fox distant local just become available to me on E*'s website should it be approved?

long_time_DNC said:
Well, it's been about a month since I applied for the distant local waiver for Fox via E*'s website and the status is still pending. I wonder, will they inform me via email or will the option for a Fox distant local just become available to me on E*'s website should it be approved?

No email, but the option will show up if approved.

NightRyder

long_time_DNC,

You'll get the answer via the E* website and it will look something like this:

Clip.jpg

I just signed up for Dish via SBC today, and was surprised when they indicated that, for my address, I was eligible for distant networks in addition to my locals.

I figure it is worth a shot, for an additional $4.5/month for the selected west coast feeds. If I don't get them, I assume I won't be charged. And if I get them, I have a second chance to watch a couple shows if things get preempted here because of weather, etc.

Also, the second reason for them is because of NFL football. It has a tendency to go long, and I miss some shows on Fox on Sunday night. This way, I should be able to record the west coast feed, and not see any NFL programming :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)