allargon

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 2, 2007
Austin, TX
Wal-Mart Offers HD DVD Refunds

News
Wal-Mart Offers HD DVD Refunds
The retailer joins Best Buy and Circuit City.
By
Swanni
Washington, D.C. (April 9, 2008) -- Wal-Mart is now offering a full refund on any HD DVD player purchased on or after November 1.

The discount retailer was a popular venue for HD DVD shoppers during the 2007 holiday season after it slashed prices on some players to under $100.

However, Toshiba, the principal supporter of HD DVD, decided early this year to pull the plug on the high-def disc format, ceding victory to rival Blu-ray.

Wal-Mart says HD DVD buyers need only to provide the player and their original receipt to get the refund; it's not necessary to return the box in which it came.

The full refund offer is good until April 30.

Wal-Mart joins Best Buy and Circuit City in offering refunds or similar incentives for customers to return their HD DVD players.

At least it shows Wal-Mart cares about the rest of the people that don't have enough money to invest on both HD-DVD/Blu-ray.

If Walmart would sell off these used player returns for around $25, I'd buy two or three more. They are fantastic upconvertors. The only downside is they take longer to boot up than a normal DVD player. That doesn't really bother me much, but others might not care for it. Walmart would have to pay me double what I paid to get my A2 back, or offer me an even better upconvertor for trade (an Oppo perhaps). $98 was a great price for this A2 "upconvertor", even if it never plays another HDDVD.

Yeah, I was wondering what they will do with those players? Recycle them for scrap? I hope not.

Not giving up my HD DVD player; indeed, going to buy a second. :)

Got 2 a-3's and an a-30, got 1 a-3 from wal mart, gonna offer it to some guys at work for what I paid for it, if no takers will take it back and use the money to buy more movies, the 1 a-3 will be a back up unit, got the a-30 as my main unit.

Yeah, I was wondering what they will do with those players? Recycle them for scrap? I hope not....
That's what I fear, but I doubt it will be WM doing that scrapping without some incentive to do so. Sony and the other BD producers want to remove/destroy any possible diversion/disincentive from paying full-price for BD equipment and DVDs. I would hope that equipment would be sold in some kind of aftermarket, but I'm not optimistic about that. My guess is that Sony et al will be paying a "bounty" of some kind for evidence of scrapped units...!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)