Wally Reciever which HDD

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

jonesdds

Original poster
Aug 7, 2022
Park City UT
Have a new Wally, spoken to tech support with Dish a bunch of times but getting nowhere. Per the reps need 2.0 USB, between 500 GB and 4 TB, can't be a flash drive. First I tried a WD(Western Digital) My Passport Ultra 1.5 TB. Plugged in and it went through the format process, no problems, and restarted the Wally per instructions. Tuned in a program, pressed select then at bottom selected Record. Got an error message something about a timer. Selected again and again record, no errors. But it's not recording. I have read on here(for other receivers) that external power is needed but when I repeatedly asked dish about that they said no, the USB supplies the power. The Passport drive is probably about 4-5 years old but must be at least 2.0 USB, right. And when plugged in I can feel vibrations which tells me it's not flash or SSD but an actual mechanical drive, right? Also tried a 1-2 year old Seagate drive, same issues. Rep said that the Wally came DVR ready so no further activation needed, are they possibly wrong? Don't want to buy something new but leaning that way given I'm getting nowhere.

The Passport drive is probably about 4-5 years old but must be at least 2.0 USB, right.
I have a USB2 My Passport drive that reliably caused my 612 to reboot when I plugged it in, presumably because the old ones just draw too much power. I have several USB3 My Passport drives, all of which work. Supposedly no self-powered drive is supported. If the Wally is more robust in that regard, then I don't know about it.
Rep said that the Wally came DVR ready so no further activation needed, are they possibly wrong?
Your rep was very likely wrong. The DVR conversion for the 211/211k/211z/Wally is a 1-time $40 charge to your account. Did you ever pay that $40?

I have a USB2 My Passport drive that reliably caused my 612 to reboot when I plugged it in, presumably because the old ones just draw too much power. I have several USB3 My Passport drives, all of which work. Supposedly no self-powered drive is supported. If the Wally is more robust in that regard, then I don't know about it.

Your rep was very likely wrong. The DVR conversion for the 211/211k/211z/Wally is a 1-time $40 charge to your account. Did you ever pay that $40?
Play nice with the rep and he can wave the $40. Got both of my Wallys waved.

That's kind of nuts. No, I didn't that I'm aware of, may have paid it in the initial set up. I even asked specifically about this, I was told the receiver came with that feature included and I didn't have to pay the extra. Would be nice to get it a straight answer from them.

• Sad
Reactions: TheKrell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)