Wally

Greg Beckner

Original poster
Mar 28, 2016
Hamden ohio
I would like to purchase a Wally receiver for my RV Tailgater and they tell me I can not put a Wally on my account because I have the Hopper. I really need the Wally as the remote is RF not IR and would make it possible to change the channels everywhere in the rv, with out buying a RF adapter has anyone else had this problem?

I would like to purchase a Wally receiver for my RV Tailgater and they tell me I can not put a Wally on my account because I have the Hopper. I really need the Wally as the remote is RF not IR and would make it possible to change the channels everywhere in the rv, with out buying a RF adapter has anyone else had this problem?
The system won't allow you to purchase it directly from DISH. You can buy it from a retailer and add it to your account.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys mobile app

See my various posts in this thread: New Wally Receiver to Launch March 17th

I have done it, there's no reason they can not do it. I never did bother contacting DIRT again to deal with it, maybe it is time someone rattles their chains to get this confusion dealt with.

On edit: Something has changed, they in fact have removed the "Compatible with Tailgater" check mark from the web site.

Last edited:
Somebody stop me if this possibility has already been brought up, but maybe Wally's are geared mainly for commercial accounts, like in hotel rooms, bars, or restaurants , where a DVR would be inapplicable.

Somebody stop me if this possibility has already been brought up, but maybe Wally's are geared mainly for commercial accounts, like in hotel rooms, bars, or restaurants , where a DVR would be inapplicable.
Why even talk about the Wally in new releases if it was only for Hotels and Restaurants? For that matter why put on retailer websites for purchase?They talked about the Wally like it was the same as a 211k except for the hopper like interface and it could be used as a tailgater receiver. I don't know why DISH doesn't just clarify this policy from the beginning instead of leaving it in a cloud of confusion.

Reactions: TheKrell
Classic case of marketing department not being on the same page as research and development department. It'll all work out in the end.

I just called and spoke to a senior account rep. She said that she shows that the Wally is the replacement for the 211 receivers, they are being EOL'd, and that she can add them to an account all day long. She also revealed there is an internal promo conflict in the system that is kicking an errant incompatibility error. You can get past that she said and it should not be an issue. She wanted to know if I would like to replace my 211k today and upgrade my home system from it's current to a Hopper 3 and 4K Joeys (my contract is up in June), and apparently it's free right now. :D

They've definitely got to get this mess straightened out or they aren't going to be selling any Wally receivers.

I just called and spoke to a senior account rep. She said that she shows that the Wally is the replacement for the 211 receivers, they are being EOL'd...
The 211's are obsolete? That sucks! I have two of them and my sister has a 211k. I like the fact that the OTA tuner is built into these receivers, and I don't want to be forced to switch to a receiver that requires a separate OTA adapter.

The 211s are not obsolete and won't be for some time. When they say the Wally is a replacement for the 211, it only means that sometime in the future you will not be able to order a 211 on a new account, just a Wally.

The 211's are in fact being End Of Lifed (EOL'd), they will no longer be made, and you will no longer be able to buy new ones. I never said they were obsolete.

The 211s are not obsolete and won't be for some time. When they say the Wally is a replacement for the 211, it only means that sometime in the future you will not be able to order a 211 on a new account, just a Wally.
Okay. Rhyph said "EOL'd" and I thought that was the term for receivers that are on their way out the door, like the 501. "End-Of-Life'd"

DISH has many current receivers that are no longer being manufactured. I'd bet right now they're only building new Hopper 3's and Wally's, besides Joeys of course.

From the tech side of it, I was told and read that we can not install wallys on accounts unless it's a new connect / account set up that requires it. As in only wants an HD stand alone receiver no DVR function.
Apparently we don't want to confuse people with the carbon interface if they have 722ks or Hopper 2Ks on there house and we add the Wally, with that special remote.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)