Want a job? (Littleton, CO)

It depends where you live. 11 an hr is high in my region where the avg income it in the mid-high 20Ks. There is a low cost of living here and the real estate prices are dirt cheap. At the same time, people dont get paid much. I'd make triple in NYC what I get paid here in Buffalo as a Business Analyst for a bank.

If these jobs were in Buffalo they would be good, well-paying jobs.

if I had emedded programming exp I would contact them, but I mainly deal with biz & web development lately. :)

It is not all Embedded.

There are needs for IPTV(Internet TV, web stuff) and Application Programming.

No Denvers not cheap, I've been looking over that area for the better part of a year and you have to go northl, east, and south to find aforedable living wich is why I had settled on Loveland as a place to move to when I can reach that point wich should be coming soon. I think I'll give this a try and see what comes of it, wonder if I'm still on the black list or if that stays with the installations departments.

If I were 20 years younger and single, maybe. Of course that hourly wage is close to what I was making back then, so maybe not.
Amen to that, brother! :hatsoff: Sad story is, wages have gone down and down, cost of living up and up. No company gives a crap about cost of living increases. Unions turned themselves into jokes. Guess its up those those of us who actually do the work to figure out a way to make it pay. Invest wisely and look for a new job while you still have one!:D

No company is a harsh statement. 3 years ago I switched to my current company. They are a fortune 500 bank based out of Buffalo and Baltimore. Decent pay increases each year and generous bonus compensation. Also, very good holiday and vacation time along with education reimbursement. All without unions!

I do understand though this is not the norm. I left a company that was about to tank and eventually did. Everything they offered was non-competitive.

Charlie pushes it as every dollar saved (penny-pinched) by avoiding buying current equipment, facilities, materials, supplies, etc is one more dollar that can be spent in something that impacts the customer. Advertising, marketing, rebates, etc. For someone worth $27B, it must be nice to make incredibly hypocritical statements like that, on his charter jets flying inbetween sales incentive trips to Fiji, Baha and the general Caribbean...

DISH has NEVER been competitive with anything employee related except the number of people employed. The wages are substandard, he hasn't provided his people with a cost of living increase in one of the top five fastest inflating cities in the country for over six years and yet he continues to make the top 100 of Forbes richest every single year...

Charlie doesn't care about his people, and so his people rarely care about the customers. Making $11.00/hr, where you can make $11.50 as a starting Arby's Shift Manager... why would you expect anything different? I hear all sorts of whining and moaning every year about DISH's customer service, but I NEVER hear a SINGLE person pushing on Charlie about taking care of his people better. Firing people isn't a solution; when the new people come on they find that they could be making more money for D* or someone else...

Charlie doesn't care about his customers, Charlie doesn't care about his employees; but if you threaten his mergers or channel lineup he'll be on a plane to Washington within four hours...

Damned if I know why I'm telling any of you this. It'll just be more whining about Fox Business (no...it's not coming) /SciFi HD and waiting on the phone for 20 minutes to get help again by tomorrow... I remember why I hate most customers...they have so much in common with Charlie.

Signed,

Never been a Fry Cook I

I'd make triple in NYC what I get paid here in Buffalo as a Business Analyst for a bank.

Well I guess the bank can't pay much better then either.:confused:

If these jobs were in Buffalo they would be good, well-paying jobs.

Well I live in the area and wouldn't call that a good wage. Must be that is what all those "Intertech" salespeople make at the Blvd Mall. No wonder they spend half their time checking out all the women walking up and down the mall, or running back and forth to the Auntie Anne's Pretzel Stand, because they can't afford to go into TGIF's and have a beer:eek:

Well I live in the area and wouldn't call that a good wage. Must be that is what all those "Intertech" salespeople make at the Blvd Mall. No wonder they spend half their time checking out all the women walking up and down the mall, or running back and forth to the Auntie Anne's Pretzel Stand, because they can't afford to go into TGIF's and have a beer:eek:
as the pressure of rising program costs hits the satcos, the pressure to control these costs increases. I can speak for Dish and I will tell you that their payments to dealers and contractors has been lowered in the pat 4 years. Essentially Dish has been holding down subscription rates on the backs of the very people that instal and service THEIR equipemnt and customers.
This will come to a head. It is becoming difficult to make a living doing this work . The cost of materials and of course fuel keeps risiing while pay rates are stagnant.
IMO Dish will find itself in the untenable position of having to either raise programming fees to subs or losing people to do the work.
Whenb I started my current run at this employer gas was $1.70 per gallon..Now it is $3.20. A 500 ft spool of 10ga copper GND wire was $40, now it's $90. I was patying $35 to $40 for a 1000' spool of copper clad steel UL listed coax..Now it's $55 -$60. Have I gotten a pay raise? Nope. None of us have. We have asked dish to allow us a fuel relief surcharge..Nothing doing. They just don't care. So I am looking hard at getting out. Sucks to be them. I am a damn good tech. I have 10 years in this business....
I cannot continue in a business that has no potential to earn more money.

The larger a company gets the less the care about their employees. It is really ashame.
I am a store manager and my company has become so large that it now has a yearly "employee engagement survey". What do they find? They find that the workers don't feel appreciated, they wouldn't recommend a friend, it wouldn't take much for them to leave and they don't think they get paid enough. The solution do a paid out for $150 to decorate the break room. Then cut the average stores payroll by 10% the following year, outsource human resources and the help desk to a different country and make the average pay raise 2%. What a way to show you care. Oh, and I work for a Pharmacy retailer so these are people who are dispensing your medication. All of the pharmacy techs at my store would be making more money working for Dish.
After saying all of that it should be no surprise that my resume is out and I have had a first, second and third interview this week. I can't wait to get out. I wonder if dish would pay to relocate me (joke).

Charlie pushes it as every dollar saved (penny-pinched) by avoiding buying current equipment, facilities, materials, supplies, etc is one more dollar that can be spent in something that impacts the customer. Advertising, marketing, rebates, etc. For someone worth $27B, it must be nice to make incredibly hypocritical statements like that, on his charter jets flying inbetween sales incentive trips to Fiji, Baha and the general Caribbean...

DISH has NEVER been competitive with anything employee related except the number of people employed. The wages are substandard, he hasn't provided his people with a cost of living increase in one of the top five fastest inflating cities in the country for over six years and yet he continues to make the top 100 of Forbes richest every single year...

Charlie doesn't care about his people, and so his people rarely care about the customers. Making $11.00/hr, where you can make $11.50 as a starting Arby's Shift Manager... why would you expect anything different? I hear all sorts of whining and moaning every year about DISH's customer service, but I NEVER hear a SINGLE person pushing on Charlie about taking care of his people better. Firing people isn't a solution; when the new people come on they find that they could be making more money for D* or someone else...

Charlie doesn't care about his customers, Charlie doesn't care about his employees; but if you threaten his mergers or channel lineup he'll be on a plane to Washington within four hours...

Damned if I know why I'm telling any of you this. It'll just be more whining about Fox Business (no...it's not coming) /SciFi HD and waiting on the phone for 20 minutes to get help again by tomorrow... I remember why I hate most customers...they have so much in common with Charlie.

Signed,

Never been a Fry Cook I
SPoken like a truely disgruntled employee,

The larger a company gets the less the care about their employees. It is really ashame.
I am a store manager and my company has become so large that it now has a yearly "employee engagement survey". What do they find? They find that the workers don't feel appreciated, they wouldn't recommend a friend, it wouldn't take much for them to leave and they don't think they get paid enough. The solution do a paid out for $150 to decorate the break room. Then cut the average stores payroll by 10% the following year, outsource human resources and the help desk to a different country and make the average pay raise 2%. What a way to show you care. Oh, and I work for a Pharmacy retailer so these are people who are dispensing your medication. All of the pharmacy techs at my store would be making more money working for Dish.
After saying all of that it should be no surprise that my resume is out and I have had a first, second and third interview this week. I can't wait to get out. I wonder if dish would pay to relocate me (joke).
I said it 3 years ago that dish wants to do away with its sub cons and take it inhouse, its a money saver for them to do that even with the cost of facilities and fleet ect ect.

I wonder if dish would pay to relocate me (joke).
Depends on the position you take with the company, middle to upper management yes they will spend some money to relocate you.

as the pressure of rising program costs hits the satcos, the pressure to control these costs increases. I can speak for Dish and I will tell you that their payments to dealers and contractors has been lowered in the pat 4 years. Essentially Dish has been holding down subscription rates on the backs of the very people that instal and service THEIR equipemnt and customers.
This will come to a head. It is becoming difficult to make a living doing this work . The cost of materials and of course fuel keeps risiing while pay rates are stagnant.
IMO Dish will find itself in the untenable position of having to either raise programming fees to subs or losing people to do the work.
Whenb I started my current run at this employer gas was $1.70 per gallon..Now it is $3.20. A 500 ft spool of 10ga copper GND wire was $40, now it's $90. I was patying $35 to $40 for a 1000' spool of copper clad steel UL listed coax..Now it's $55 -$60. Have I gotten a pay raise? Nope. None of us have. We have asked dish to allow us a fuel relief surcharge..Nothing doing. They just don't care. So I am looking hard at getting out. Sucks to be them. I am a damn good tech. I have 10 years in this business....
I cannot continue in a business that has no potential to earn more money.

Have you considered doing installs for Direct or a cable co?

No Denvers not cheap, I've been looking over that area for the better part of a year and you have to go northl, east, and south to find aforedable living wich is why I had settled on Loveland as a place to move to when I can reach that point wich should be coming soon. I think I'll give this a try and see what comes of it, wonder if I'm still on the black list or if that stays with the installations departments.
Grew up in that area and lived there for couple of years not so long ago... I agree that Loveland is one of the more affordable areas. You have to weigh the commute to Denver (if that is where you will work), though.

SPoken like a truely disgruntled employee,

Taking advantage of your customers isn't the newest thing, it's pretty much the common business trend at present. Stepping on the spines of the people that work for you, that's strictly a personal vice of his, and I don't much care for it. It shows a lack of integrity (yeah... don't start) and it shows for someone trying so hard to be the industry leader, he thinks he can do it on outdated equipment and half a skeleton crew.

Sooner or later, D* is just going to spend money on their business and put him out of his misery, and he'll be laughing all the way to the bank. And when Chuck gets bored, he'll just fire up his shiny new spinoff and take it out for a ride.

Irregardless, I watched the end of Wall Street... I know how this will finish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)