Want to add another DVR

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

straightjacket

Original poster
Feb 22, 2011
pitsburgh
I currently have a VIP622 DVR and a VIP222. I want to swap out the VIP222 for another DVR so I can have 2 DVR's on 2 different TV's.

I called Dish and they said they could do the swap for me, but I have to sign up for the "Dish It Up" plan and sign up for another 24 mos. of service and pay a tech visit fee of $95. No thanks.

I was looking at the 510 DVR receivers on eBay. If I get one of these, can I just swap this out with my 222? My current 222 doesn't have a card. If I get a 510, will I need a card?

Basically, I'm just looking for instructions on what I need to do here to get another DVR working without going through Dish Network to get it.

Alternatively, is there a way of keeping my 222 and viewing the shows that I have recorded on my 622 on the 222?

All of the old receivers need a separate up-to-date smart card.

The 510 is SD-only. If I were you, and I only wanted output for a single TV, I'd go with the 612 which has 2 sat tuners and 1 OTA tuner. Your monthly extra receiver fee would actually go down from $14/mo for your 222 to $10/mo for a 612. Programs are movable via EHD from 622 to 612 on the same account. You could definitely do the installation yourself. No need for a tech visit.

SD is fine - that's why I'm looking at the 510.

All I want to do is to be able to have a 2nd DVR on a separate TV (standard def). I'd rather not go the EHD route.

I'd really just like to purchase a used 510, plug it in to the second TV, and use it as a regular DVR on that TV only. Is that possible?

You can only go with a 510 if you have a dish on 110/119. The 510 has no OTA tuner nor 8PSK capability on it's single sat tuner. And it has no USB port so there is no hope of ever using an EHD with it. Plus it will cost as much each month as a 612. Are you sure you want that 510?

why not get a 211k and pay the $40 to make it a dvr. then if you ever get another 211k in the future, it can be a dvr too.

You can only go with a 510 if you have a dish on 110/119. The 510 has no OTA tuner nor 8PSK capability on it's single sat tuner. And it has no USB port so there is no hope of ever using an EHD with it. Plus it will cost as much each month as a 612. Are you sure you want that 510?

I'm just trying to keep this simple and inexpensive. It's a standard def. television that my kids use. I want to be able to record a couple shows that they like to watch so that they can play them back later. I don't need the EHD option or anything else. I just need another DVR hooked up to the TV that is capable of recording and playing back the shows. But I do want to be able to get all of the stations that I'm signed up for in my programming package.

My satellites are 119/110/129.

If I get the 510....

1. Will I be able to hook it up to the standard def. TV and view all of my current stations and record my selected shows?
2. Do I need a Dish card? I see some of the 510s on eBay have cards and others don't.
3. What type of cost increase should I expect each month?

1. Will I be able to hook it up to the standard def. TV and view all of my current stations and record my selected shows?

You can hook it up to a SD tv, and watch everything as normal; but once again make sure your account is not Eastern Arc before purchasing. It only allows HD receivers to be activated.

2. Do I need a Dish card? I see some of the 510s on eBay have cards and others don't.

The receiver may need a card, some are built in though. If you get it and can use it and it needs a card one can be sent out easily.

3. What type of cost increase should I expect each month?

If you add as an additional it will be $10 more per month. $7 for the TV and $3 for the additional DVR. If you replace your 222k with the 510 then the bill will drop $4.

1) You will be able to watch and record all your current national SD stations on the 510. If your SD locals are on WA only in 8PSK, then you couldn't get your locals on a 510.

2) All Dish receivers require a purple smart card if it's not embedded already. I had a 501 with a purple card, so I know that it can be done. If the receiver you buy is missing it's smart card, or only has a yellow or truly ancient blue card, you may or may not have to pay Dish to replace it. (Mine was free, but it was activated on my account at the time.)

3) Solo DVR receivers will be $10/month. I believe your 222 is $14/mo, so your monthly will actually go down.

You've already stated you get 110/119/129, which is Western Arc. So no worries on the national SD channels. Let me go look up Pittsburgh locals on WA... Nope; they're still QPSK.

So a 510 on your setup will give you all the channels you subscribe to which include SD counterparts.

It's not, you said you are on 119/110/129, That is WA. (Western Arc) A 508/510 will work on that, BUT - it is not know for how long. At some point they will do what they did for the EA (Eastern Arc) and change over the coding.

It's not, you said you are on 119/110/129, That is WA. (Western Arc) A 508/510 will work on that, BUT - it is not know for how long. At some point they will do what they did for the EA (Eastern Arc) and change over the coding.

Dish will likely replace any legacy box on the WA that is activated at that time if those subscribers would lose services due to a change to SD services to all 8PSK or MPEG4. So, if he invest in a 508 on the WA, he should be fine for any mass changes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)