Want To Add DVR - Need Help/Advice

tlarwa

Original poster
Jan 12, 2009
IL
I am a current DISH subscriber (through AT&T DISH). I have an HD receiver in my HT system, but no DVR. What's my best option for adding a DVR? Can I buy one on the used market and add it into my system myself? I've never owned a DVR, so I'm looking for some advice. I called AT&T DISH, but they won't upgrade me without a hefty charge, even though new customers get a DVR now at no extra charge ... really irratates me, since I've been a good customer for several years with 3 separate receivers and an upper-level HD package!

What are my options?

Thanks!

Tom

I am a current DISH subscriber (through AT&T DISH). I have an HD receiver in my HT system, but no DVR. What's my best option for adding a DVR? Can I buy one on the used market and add it into my system myself? I've never owned a DVR, so I'm looking for some advice. I called AT&T DISH, but they won't upgrade me without a hefty charge, even though new customers get a DVR now at no extra charge ... really irratates me, since I've been a good customer for several years with 3 separate receivers and an upper-level HD package!

What are my options?

Thanks!

Tom

trade with eacalhoun? (a reference to the thread of a guy who wants a 322 instead of his 625.)

Honestly though... call you local dealer and get a Dishin' it Up upgrade.

You say you have 3 receivers currently, so does that mean 3 rooms or what is your current configuration?

If you are replacing a 322 with a 625 (standard def) you can just swap them... but if you are trying to go from a 1 room to a 2 room receiver you have a little more wiring work to do so you may just want to get a tech out there.

Right now I have 3 receivers; an HD reciever in my main system (single TV), and two standard def receivers, one on a single TV and one handling 2 TVs. I'm only interested in adding DVR capabilities to the HD receiver. Can I buy a used DVR (off the auction site, or a forum) and add it into my system myself? I'm not sure how they hook up with the HD receiver or how/if the subscription service works.

Right now I have 3 receivers; an HD reciever in my main system (single TV), and two standard def receivers, one on a single TV and one handling 2 TVs. I'm only interested in adding DVR capabilities to the HD receiver. Can I buy a used DVR (off the auction site, or a forum) and add it into my system myself? I'm not sure how they hook up with the HD receiver or how/if the subscription service works.

Some HD receivers can be made into an HD DVR by adding an external hard drive, not sure which ones really... if your can that may work and dish has a fee to do it as well.

Otherwise you can get an HD DVR at full retail (avoid if at all possible), from a retailer at a discount through Dish'n it up, or call up dish and ask them what the will send you one for.

IF YOU BUY A USED ONE from a place like eBay or whatnot CHECK TO MAKE SURE IT DOES NOT HAVE A BALANCE OWED ON IT.

This means someone didn't pay their bill or didn't send the leased box back in and YOU will have to pay this amount to turn it on... this can be VERY expensive. You can find out if it has a balance by asking for the ROO number and calling dish to find out if it has a balance before buying.

If I do end up buying a standalone HD DVR used, how exectly does it tie into the system? Does it connect into the existing HD receiver with a USB cable or something similar? Also, will I need to subscribe for the service with DISH?

If I do end up buying a standalone HD DVR used, how exectly does it tie into the system? Does it connect into the existing HD receiver with a USB cable or something similar? Also, will I need to subscribe for the service with DISH?

You told us you have a HD receiver is it a VIP211 or a VIP211k?
If it is you can add a external hard drive and have Dish authorize it for you for a one time charge of $39.99 there is no monthly charge for the DVR operation unlike the other DVRs that Dish has
Take a look at the Dishstore at the top of all pages on this site they have prices for Dish receivers which look good to me.

I am doing that very thing. I have a 211k receiver being shipped to me by dishdepot.com and I am going to swap my old 622 for the price of the new 211- Even swap. Then I can attach one of my external hard drives to it and pay no more dvr fees for my son's receiver. A drop of almost $6.00 a month. It almost cancels the price increase . I will pay only 2.00 increase on my dvr advantage pack for one 722 and one 211k.

I also hope to trade in my two 722s for the newest 722k receiver and cut the price for it . Then I will have the option to record 4 things at one time. This really will come in handy for Thursdays when I have conflicts on all 4 networks. I also have a dtv pal plus dvr coming in the next three days,according to the csr, and it will go in my master bedroom for ota recording upto 2 ota channels at the same time. NO dvr fee. I only wish that it did name based recording instead of the old timer based recording. It is like a return to the 921 dvr.

I also hope to trade in my two 722s for the newest 722k receiver and cut the price for it . Then I will have the option to record 4 things at one time. [/QUOTE said:
Can you tell me what you mean by this. How is the " K " version different?
Thanks
John

Can you tell me what you mean by this. How is the " K " version different?
Thanks
John

I believe the 722k is identical to the standard 722, except the OTA input is removed and there is a modular slot in its place. You have the option of doing nothing with that slot, or adding an OTA module for $30 or $40 extra. The difference with that OTA module is that it has two OTA inputs, so you could have one extra OTA tuner over the standard 722.

You told us you have a HD receiver is it a VIP211 or a VIP211k?

My receiver is a VIP211. SO if I understand correctly, I just call DISH and tell them I want to hook up a hard drive to record, and for $39 they supply the functionality for this to work as a DVR? Is it a firmware upgrade that loads automatically? Lastly, would my external hard drive just connect into one of the USB ports on the back of the VIP211?

Thanks!

The contract between AT&T and Dish Network is about to be over and I think all current Dish Network customers from AT&T will then be handled directly thru Dish Network beginning Feb. 1st. Maybe you can call Dish Network and ask them if they can help you after Feb 1st to upgrade for a low price.

My receiver is a VIP211. SO if I understand correctly, I just call DISH and tell them I want to hook up a hard drive to record, and for $39 they supply the functionality for this to work as a DVR? Is it a firmware upgrade that loads automatically? Lastly, would my external hard drive just connect into one of the USB ports on the back of the VIP211?

Thanks!

First you have to hook up the external hard drive the software in the VIP should already be up to date at this late date I don't know what the level is but I am sure some one here will chime in and tell you.
It has to be a drive that has an external power supply and have a 2.0 usb type output.
When you hook up the drive and reboot your VIP a screen will come up telling you to call an 800 number to activate the hard drive via a computer.
Some folks have had this work others have had to call into a CSR to get it activated this is what I did but the CSR had NO idea how to do it so I was sent to a tech person and he did it.
Be sure the the screen with the 800 number on it is displayed when they are doing the activate.
You will notice that it worked because when it works it will ask you if it is ok to format the hard drive.
This DVR function is very good. You also get a week of information about what is on in the guide once the DVR is turned on.

My understanding was that if you get Dish from ATT you are not a true Dish Network customer but an ATT customer. And will have to go through ATT only for all your Dish needs. Is this correct?

trade with eacalhoun? (a reference to the thread of a guy who wants a 322 instead of his 625.)

Hello...did someone call my name?:D If I owned the receiver, I might trade...but it's DISH's.

The DISHn It Up plan has been mentioned here...when a customer enrolls in this to exchange a receiver does DISH send an empty box, shipping label and/or pay postage for the receiver being returned to DISH?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)