Want to do an upgrade myself

Bja0816

Original poster
Jan 15, 2014
Oklahoma
Finally stepping out of the dark ages from my old 311(2003) and would like to get a used vip722. Is there anything difficult about this change, anything I need to replace from my old system to support this box?

well if you want HD you'll have to upgrade the dish
also since you're probably on an old Dish500 setup unless you upgrade the dish you'll need 2 lines from the LNB to the receiver

The 311 is an SD receiver and the 722 is an HD receiver. You may need a new dish with 3 lnbs to receive all the programming available. Being in Oklahoma, I'm going to guess that you are on the western arc and that looks at 110, 119, and 129. Most of the HD channels are on 129. If you have a dish that looks at two satellites today, most likely 110 and 119, you will receive little to none of the HD channels....

Finally stepping out of the dark ages from my old 311(2003) and would like to get a used vip722. Is there anything difficult about this change, anything I need to replace from my old system to support this box?

You're better off just letting Dish do the upgrade for you since they will do it right and you don't save any money by doing it yourself. If you love doing things on your own and know what you are doing then it's not real difficult. Swapping out the Dish would be the hardest thing since you would have to point it.

The problem with doing it yourself though is that Dish will not let you install it yourself unless you purchase all the equipment. Don't forget that if you do the upgrade through Dish you will have to renew a 24 month commitment with them. If you purchase the equipment and install it yourself you would be able to avoid the renewal.

The more I think about the new HD promo the less I worry about it. New customers are still going to get their HD Free for at least 2 years. After that Dish may have it free for life again or they may just extend it for you if you call them up and ask. When watching the retailer chat they talked about it and said they just wanted to give themselves options.

Purchase the 722 through Dish for $249 and pay the $95 for the install (which will include a dish), or sign the new commitment and you'll most likely get it all installed free

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts