Want to go to Dish now that Voom is gone. Any specials??

cruzmisl

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 29, 2004
Since summer is closing and I'll need to watch more of the idiot box I need subscribe. I don't have any digital cable available and need some HD. Anyone know of any specials out there for old Voom customers? My house has an old Dish 500 and a 61.5 sat from the previous owners still hanging so I can manage the install on my own.

Thanks!!

J.

Hey J!

I am just switching myself and don't know of any current specials for former Voom customers. But there is a thread describing how you can use your existing Voom dish to potentially receive the Voom channels at 61.5 through Dish.

The current promo is six free months of HD programming and potentially a discount on your basic package (with a 1 year commitment). I would highly suggest getting the Dish 942 if you are interested in an HD DVR. You can lease it for $250 and hopefully get a cheap upgrade once Dish converts to MPEG4.

Good luck!

I too have had the 942 HD DVR for 3 1/2 month and highly recommend it. If you're signing up for VOOM, I would say wait since they have scaled back the number of available channels (and content too) until later this year (we hope). I would expect to see D* and E* drop the prices on all their HD receivers, and perhaps start giving them away, in the coming months. Personally, you still have another 5 weeks of summer. Enjoy them and look for better deals after 1 Sept.

riffjim4069 said:
...If you're signing up for VOOM, I would say wait since they have scaled back the number of available channels (and content too) until later this year (we hope).

OTOH, if people don't sign up for Voom, it may send the message to Dish that Voom isn't worth continuing. So, I say sign up and tell them that there is a market.
I, like many, are disappointed with the current Voom 10, especially the lack of new content. Having LAB eye-candy half the day on RAVE just doesn't cut it. However the only way that they are going to get new content is with income and subscribers. It seems pretty clear that Cablevision has lost patience for financing Voom up front and they need to see subscribers before we're likely to get the new content that we all want. I suspect tthe people that are in control of Voom programming know what they have to do, but just aren't able to pull it off until the busness is self-supporting.
I consider the $5/mo. worth it if it it brings Voom closer to an ultimate success. I'll give them through the winter and see what happens. If the programming doesn't improve by then most likely Voom 10 will join Voom DBS in history. What annoys me more about Dish is the "america's top" packages. Having to get the top 180 package just to get Speed for Formula One season burns me. I'd much prefer an a'la carte alternative or packages focused to interests instead of the shotgun approach of 180 channels which I'll never watch about 160 of.

Bob H.

The $5/month cost of VOOM channels right now is dirt cheap and well worth it for new subs who have never had VOOM.

Old VOOM subs coming to Dish will find that the VOOM content needs some serious refreshing! Quite a bit of the content will be stuff you saw back when you had VOOM service.

But, even having said that, I still think it's worth $5/month. I had VOOM service for six months before they went boom and immediately picked them up on my Dish account (I had both for awhile). Even tho it's only 10, not 21 channels, and the content is getting a little repetitive, I just use my fabulous 942 to pick out and record the VOOM content I want to see (some stuff is worth viewing multiple times, by the way).

Dish claims they will boost VOOM channels to 21 in January. I'm in with Dish for the long haul (cable stinks in my area) so I'll patiently wait for more channels and fresh content.

Again, if you are new to DISH and want a $50 rebate (in addition to the $49.99 credit on your first bill), you can ask one of us Club Dish customers for a Referral number BEFORE you actually call and order.

If you need a referral number, please PM me (private Message--as in my signature instructions below.

I'm waiting until they have all 21 VOOM channels back before I commit to the HD DVR. Reason? They repeat everything several times a day. No point in recording anything.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)