Want to purchase TimeTrax, have a few problems with trial though

GMFreak8

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 25, 2005
Adirondacks
I downloaded the latest version to try it. I love the concept, but based on the trial I'm sort of afraid to go ahead and purchase it. When I start it up, it takes anywhere from 10 to 40 seconds to find my xmpcr, and then whenever I click on any options or try to open any dialogs in TimeTrax it takes anywhere from 5 to 45 seconds to have anything pop up, in the meantime, it uses 50% of my CPU. I don't know what information I should provide, but for starters I'll give you my computer specs.
Dell Dimension 8300:
Intel Pentium 4 3.0GHz
Audigy 2 soundcard
1.5 Gigs of RAM
My PC is definitely powerful enough to handle the program, so I can't figure out why TimeTrax acts like it does. Any help would be appreciated, if I can get this issue resolved I'll be purchasing a copy, although I really wish I didn't have to spend $50 a year for updates. Thanks in advance.

GMFreak8 said:
I downloaded the latest version to try it. I love the concept, but based on the trial I'm sort of afraid to go ahead and purchase it. When I start it up, it takes anywhere from 10 to 40 seconds to find my xmpcr, and then whenever I click on any options or try to open any dialogs in TimeTrax it takes anywhere from 5 to 45 seconds to have anything pop up, in the meantime, it uses 50% of my CPU. I don't know what information I should provide, but for starters I'll give you my computer specs.
Dell Dimension 8300:
Intel Pentium 4 3.0GHz
Audigy 2 soundcard
1.5 Gigs of RAM
My PC is definitely powerful enough to handle the program, so I can't figure out why TimeTrax acts like it does. Any help would be appreciated, if I can get this issue resolved I'll be purchasing a copy, although I really wish I didn't have to spend $50 a year for updates. Thanks in advance.

The issue with the CPU spike, and length it takes to do things, is in my opinion a Bug they have YET to fix or acknowledge. So I am not sure if we'll be getting answers to that any time soon. I have complained about this problem since the OLDER versions of the product (before the name change to the Time Trax Recast) and although I have only upgraded to 'test' new products and then roll back to the older version - the newer versions exhibited the same scenario and CPU spikes.

The Subscription problem is something I agree with, but have decided to accept consideirng my Tivo, and my XM Subscription or monthly and yearly subs that offer me a 'service' such as Time Trax offers me upgrades and support for the sub price.

Furthermore, there are other ways to record the XM Radio and although they might not be as nice as the way Time Trax handles things (split tracks named and tagged) its cheaper.

Well that's not very reassuring, I guess I'll have to keep upgrading the trial versions until this issue is taken care of, and then purchase it. I'm not purchasing something, when I've had beta freeware that has been more stable and even looks better. I really wish they would have released that version that immitated the Windows XP explorer look, that version had a really good GUI. Please Time Trax, fix the CPU and slow response times, it's a major issue, and please think about redoing the GUI. You address these two issues and you'll have a new customer, until then I can't purchase it.

What didn't you like about the GUI.

I personally thought it was ok, obviously there would be things I think should change, but I don't think its horrible enough to say that I would not buy it cuz of it.

Just opinions I guess.

It's useful, it's just not that friendly. I'm used to XtreMePCR, if Time Trax had a GUI like that it would look so much better. It just looks like it's something cobbled together, take the VU meter for instant, it looks like it was a quick copy and paste job. It could be made so much better, like those spy shots of an upcoming version about 6 months ago that disappeared, and was replaced by Recast. It's a factor in my decision to purchase, it's something I'd like to see worked on. It's kinda like a vehicle, would you purchase a luxury car that had all these features and gagdets on it, but had as much styling as a brick, or would you purchase one that lacked a few of those gadgets but looked great, and was easier and more exciting to drive? I'd pick the latter choice.

GMFreak8 said:
It's useful, it's just not that friendly. I'm used to XtreMePCR, if Time Trax had a GUI like that it would look so much better. It just looks like it's something cobbled together, take the VU meter for instant, it looks like it was a quick copy and paste job. It could be made so much better, like those spy shots of an upcoming version about 6 months ago that disappeared, and was replaced by Recast. It's a factor in my decision to purchase, it's something I'd like to see worked on. It's kinda like a vehicle, would you purchase a luxury car that had all these features and gagdets on it, but had as much styling as a brick, or would you purchase one that lacked a few of those gadgets but looked great, and was easier and more exciting to drive? I'd pick the latter choice.

I fully understand. To be honest, in my opinion, ALL that stuff about a different product 6 months that disappeared would be a reason I WOULDN'T BUY AT ALL - just for the pure reason that it shows such a volatile substance about the company, direction and organization. However, I got the product in 2004 before all the posts about the future product.

I do agree, the GUI is a bit mangled - but - Thats not the reason why I wouldn't buy it. I wouldn't buy right now cuz of all the posts about the BlueScreening. I don't mind if a program crashes, takes itself out. But then a program crashes the WHOLE PC - Forget it - now you've impacted more than just my listening and time shifting - you'v edone something to the whole PC and BlueScreens can always ruin something else - even if its not related.

I think I'll wait for a few more releases and see what happens. Hopefully the stability issues will resolve. I suppose I can live with the GUI, but I hope they make it better.

Between the promise of the new product 6 months or more ago, the vaporware iPod adapter that disappeared, and the promises of bigger and better updates to the program and website never happening, I truly am a little worried about the
organization of the company.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts