want to upgrade from HTiB to Home Theater

jmc98

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jan 11, 2005
32.750N 97.488W Fort worth Tx
i wanting to upgrade my surround sound to more of a home theater the speakers i have are 3 ohm and the receivers i looked at by denon, onkyo, pioneer, and sony are 6-8 ohm on the speaker connection right now i can only afford a receiver and want a 7.1 setup up as i have that speaker setup mounted
which one of these s the best

Denon AVR2312CI
Onkyo TX-NR609
Pioneer Elite VSX-42
Sony STR-DH520

also who has the best 7.1 speaker package ?

If you're not an audiophile, you might do what I did a long time ago. I wanted just what you did, and the speakers from my HTIB were all 3 ohm. Most receivers won't deal well with those.

So I bought a good subwoofer, in my case a Velodyne. And then added some cheap speakers as the and center. Frankly it was pretty darned good and it was also pretty cheap. Since then I have replaced those satellites with much better speakers, and while they do sound better, they don't sound as much better as I would have expected.

According to many audiophiles the best speakers for the price currently are made by Energy and are called the Take Classic. The cost at Amazon is $399 but everyone says they sound like speakers that cost triple the price.

Only issue is they are 5.1 speakers not 7.1

You can wire 2 of the speakers in series and have a net effect 6 ohm speaker. This works OK for surrounds and might save some money for upgrades. Then you only need to purchase mains and center for now.

7.1 is one of those small return on investment items, especially in a smaller room. I recommend going 5.1 if you are on a budget and add the other 2 later.

You are showing good receivers, but I would go one model down and put the difference into what you can afford in those 3 front speakers. Of the ones mentioned, I have had the best success with the Denons and Onkyos. Incidentally, the receivers you mention are mostly older models and have been replaced with newer models with better performance at similar prices.

I agree with a lot of what Jay said. I would go more on the speaker budget than the receiver budget. Depending on the size of your room, you could do well with even the 2112. I use one in my bedroom, extremely large, and it does a terrific job. 7.1 is an extremely small investment. My $0.02: About 95% of your audio is coming out of the front three speakers with the majority of that coming from the center. I've advised many to take whatever your budget is, go down one model on the receiver and invest in good 3.1 matched speakers. Then you can add the surrounds as the budget allows. Klipsch makes very good speakers.

S~

teachsac said:
I agree with a lot of what Jay said. I would go more on the speaker budget than the receiver budget. Depending on the size of your room, you could do well with even the 2112. I use one in my bedroom, extremely large, and it does a terrific job. 7.1 is an extremely small investment. My $0.02: About 95% of your audio is coming out of the front three speakers with the majority of that coming from the center. I've advised many to take whatever your budget is, go down one model on the receiver and invest in good 3.1 matched speakers. Then you can add the surrounds as the budget allows. Klipsch makes very good speakers.

S~

If you go klipsch make sure to give a good long listen first. Usually people either love them or hate them. I personally hate them. I know several people that love them.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

Good advice, but it is getting more difficult to listen. Fewer stores have proper listening rooms. It is as difficult to evaluate a speaker in Best Buy with its 30' ceilings as it is to evaluate a TV set to torch mode there. You need to search out places that have proper setups, or better still, places with reasonable return policies so you can evaluate in your own room.

Personally, I am a Klipsch lover, but with some reservations. The little 5.1 synergy models aren't very good IMHO, and you can do better elsewhere at the low end. I really like their full range models though.

Not bad for what they are. Think of them as upscale htib speakers. They are a definite improvement over what you are using, but they are not the last speaker you will buy.

Again, listen to them at home and return if not right for you.

It is kind of like asking which religion is best.

In your price range, I would be looking at Definitive Technology, Energy, Polk, Klipsch and possibly Boston Acoustic. From that point, it all depends on the deal and your own listening preferences. You just have to figure out what sounds good to you.

One hint though. Audio dealers will play the same tricks video dealers play with TVs. They will boost bass and treble on an amplifier to give a particular speaker that extra "punch" You need to listen for awhile because that punch will sound good at first, but as you become comfortable with the speakers it may annoy you instead. Try to get the amplifier as flat as possible and review speakers on their own merits.

Sorry I can't be more specific, bvut this really is a matter of personal taste and all the brands above are recommended by members here.

i wanting to upgrade my surround sound to more of a home theater the speakers i have are 3 ohm and the receivers i looked at by denon, onkyo, pioneer, and sony are 6-8 ohm on the speaker connection right now i can only afford a receiver and want a 7.1 setup up as i have that speaker setup mounted
which one of these s the best

Denon AVR2312CI
Onkyo TX-NR609
Pioneer Elite VSX-42
Sony STR-DH520

also who has the best 7.1 speaker package ?

I have that one and it is a really good one.

My speakers are the yambeka's we had here on satguys a few years ago.

Jay:

You've summarized my point of view on speakers quite nicely. Something that stands out at first could very well be what drives you batty in the long run.

Loudspeakers are by a wide margin the most colored component in our systems. As such, the choice of favored loudspeaker is going to vary much more so than on electronics.

The other item of major consideration is the room itself. It is quite possible that the speaker you love in your dealers showroom sounds significantly different and possible unappealing in your room. That's why the importance of a dealer with a reasonable return policy is a high priority. You might spend a little more, but a good dealer is interested in your business, not a quick sale.

Just my two cents on the topic.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts