Wanted: 921 by XMas - Will Pay $1060 for the privilege

BobMurdoch

Playing XBoxOne SeriesX/Supporter
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 12, 2003
Brielle, NJ
In an effort to get my hands on one before Christmas, I will pay an extra $60 on TOP of MSRP to get my hands on a 921. I will give you a FedEx number so shipping will be covered by me as well.

Terms: I will pay by American Express if you are a Retailer. If you are a consumer, I will send you a check for $60 to give me your place in line after I receive the unit.

The only condition is that it must be in my hands by Christmas (must ship FedEx 2nd Day Air (I'll pay shipping) by Dec. 20.

Any takers?

BobMurdoch@msn.com

Hey Bob, nice move, but if i had a 921 in hand, i would be asking for way more than $60 over retail price considering these look to be in extremely short supply until after the 1st of the year.

We dont blame you at all, I have heard from a few retailers that they plan to sell their first 921's on ebay.

I guess you can't blame them for wanting to make money.

Matt_Stevens said:
DISH should forbid that sort of thing by dealers.

Why is that? If the market dictates, i would get all i could for it. Same goes for Chevy dealers right now with the new SSR. some dealers are selling them on ebay for $10-$15k over sticker. People off the street are paying the same. It's a classic Supply vs. Demand situation. you would do the same thing if you could

Nobody feels sorry for the retailers when the price of a 6000 dropped overnight after E* had their cheap deal a few months back. Most of them bought the receivers at THEIR cost higher than consumers could now buy them from E* directly.

Hey, let them make a little extra money (or placate those "special" customers by giving them one from the first batch).

With the price being so high on the 921 more profit should be made on it, as it is higher risk for loss due to the fact that if you cannot sell what you have in stock you would have to discount it and possibly lose money on it and may not sell very many either as high priced as they are.

I dont see why retailers should not be allowed to make a profit on the receivers. Most of the time they have to pay retail price plus shipping therefore they actually have more in it than the customer does until getting a commission from Dish Network.

Dealers being stuck with overpriced 6000's.

Hmm. Every retail industry I've worked in had either price protection or return for credit.

So I could send back the unsold, or get credit for the new lower pricing on existing inventory.

Doesn't E* do this too for their dealers???

They shouldn't do it because these dealers have waiting lists and those orders should be filled first at the advertised price. Once those pre-orders are actually filled then they can go ahead and use eBay and it wouldn't unethical.

Matt_Stevens said:
They shouldn't do it because these dealers have waiting lists and those orders should be filled first at the advertised price. Once those pre-orders are actually filled then they can go ahead and use eBay and it wouldn't unethical.

But then the demand will have stabilized and then you wouldn't NEED to buy it on EBay. Higher prices happen when supply is restricted, like that Dodge Viper or the ONE damn Pokemon card your son wants that they only made 20 of .....

orcatek said:

Hmm. Every retail industry I've worked in had either price protection or return for credit.

So I could send back the unsold, or get credit for the new lower pricing on existing inventory.

BOY! Any Dish retailer (like myself) is going to burst out laughing at this statement. The laughing would not be at you but the statement (since you are unaware of how retailers are treated), because Dish could care less about what we are stuck with and the thought that Dish would be so kind as to offer us price protection or returns for credit is laughable when considering how bad we get treated by Echostar!

fslove said:
orcatek said:
BOY! Any Dish retailer (like myself) is going to burst out laughing at this statement. The laughing would not be at you but the statement (since you are unaware of how retailers are treated), because Dish could care less about what we are stuck with and the thought that Dish would be so kind as to offer us price protection or returns for credit is laughable when considering how bad we get treated by Echostar!

Then why sell the product? Does D* treat dealers the same way? When Sear's loses their exclusive arrangement, how will VOOM treat dealers? Do the big box stores get treated the same way as an independent dealer?

...mike

snidely said:
fslove said:
orcatek said:

Then why sell the product? Does D* treat dealers the same way? When Sear's loses their exclusive arrangement, how will VOOM treat dealers? Do the big box stores get treated the same way as an independent dealer?

...mike
A large amount of dealers ARE telling Dish to go shove it! And DirecTV is NOT any better. Dish Network was MADE by the independant retailers and now that they (Dish Network) have "made it" they have no use for us anymore so they keep attaching more strings to our sales leading to many more chargebacks for things that THEY do wrong not us! When we get charged back we lose ALL money we made on the sale PLUS the cost of the equipment (which we pay full price for) and end up losing money on the sale because we can not resell the equipment as new and if there is a balance on the account the equipment can't be resold at all until the balance is paid! The vast majority of the time it is Dish's ignorant CSR's who cause people to blow off Dish and if it's within 265 days of when they activated we lose EVERYTHING and then some! And guess who loses the most in the long run? The Consumer does because they are going to be left with only being able to get installs, upgrades, and service calls from the inept, goofballs who work for DNSC (Dish Network's service company that pays $10 a hour for their workers) that do some of the most amatuerish, disasterous, damaging installs and service I (and most other indy retailers) have ever seen! We are ususlly the ones that have to go fix the screwup by DNSC and in the near future when the indy retailer all have told Dish to "shove it" there will be no more compotent service people around to service Dish customers.

And aas for Big box stores having to abide by the same rules... that will also get a chuckle from retailers as we ALL know thye get sweetheart deals with almost no risk of charge backs because they now are Dish's bread and butter sellers.

Matt_Stevens said:
DISH should forbid that sort of thing by dealers.

This is America, remember, not China or the old U.S.S.R. Land of the Free, Home of the Brave; where Capitalism is King.

In fact, Dish can't sell something to a retailer, and tell them what price they have to sell it for. That's called restraint of trade, and it's illegal.

Dish can write an agreement with a retailer that says, if they don't sell a product below (or, more commonly, above) a certain price, then Dish will sell no future units to the retailer, but they can't put those kinds of terms on a product that they're currently in the process of selling.

Ransack said:
How much of a commission (in general) do you think they get??

In general, about 40 bucks - IF - the receiver is added on to an existing account. If the receiver is swapped for a receiver already active on the account, NO commission is paid. The dealer usually pays MSRP for the receivers, plus shipping. So if the box is sold at retail price, and it is a larger one, the retailer can net somewhere around $25. Not a great profit margin.

The money for the retailer is in getting the new customer.

Good to know as it does help to understand the constraints my dealer must work within to stay in business. Also explains why most have very low inventories and always say we can order you one. I wouldn't carry an inventory of lower demand items either in this situation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)