War of the Worlds - EPIX

klang

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 4, 2003
Colorado Springs, CO
Any one else watching? Somewhat different take on the old alien invasion story. No giant fighting ships so far. Story is set in Europe. Unfortunately it is being released one episode a week. I'm enjoying it so far. Any distraction is welcome. ;)

Watched the first 3 episodes which were free, I would keep watching if I could but I don't have epix.

Had something similar happen with Pennyworth. I ended up buying a month from Amazon to watch the show and then dropped. EPIX is now part of my Comcast package.

Any good? YouTube TV just announced a free month of EPIX for all subscribers. I'm also curious what other originals are worth watching (Get Shorty, Berlin Station, Perpetual Grace, Pennyworth, etc.)?

Reactions: Howard Simmons
Any good? YouTube TV just announced a free month of EPIX for all subscribers. I'm also curious what other originals are worth watching (Get Shorty, Berlin Station, Perpetual Grace, Pennyworth, etc.)?

I'm enjoying it but I'm a sucker for most SciFi. I do recommend Berlin Station and Pennyworth too.

I agree that Berlin Station is worth watching just to watch J.K. Simmons. I binge watched a long time ago when Dish had it on free preview and you could download all the shows and have a month to watch them. Can't do that now. When the preview is over you lose the shows.

Reactions: Zookster
I agree that Berlin Station is worth watching just to watch J.K. Simmons. I binge watched a long time ago when Dish had it on free preview and you could download all the shows and have a month to watch them. Can't do that now. When the preview is over you lose the shows.

You must be thinking of Counterpart (on Starz); J.K. Simmons isn't in Berlin Station according to IMDb.

Loved Counterpart, btw, though I had to buy the second season after Starz abruptly dropped it from its on demand just a few weeks after season 2 aired its final episode. And of course both seasons are free on Prime less than a year later.

Reactions: Howard Simmons
You must be thinking of Counterpart (on Starz); J.K. Simmons isn't in Berlin Station according to IMDb.

Loved Counterpart, btw, though I had to buy the second season after Starz abruptly dropped it from its on demand just a few weeks after season 2 aired its final episode. And of course both seasons are free on Prime less than a year later.
Yes you're right. I watched Counterpart and only watched a couple of episodes of Berlin Station.:facepalm:coco

I got caught up in this yesterday and set a record event for the finale tonight. The alien murder dogs are inconsistent, able to snipe from long distances and then rubbish in closer quarters.

I guess the alien invasion is caused by them not liking our choice in music. And judging by the music in the show, I can’t say I disagree. The show veers close to the rebooted “Battlestar Galactica” with the use of cybernetic mechanisms, but when they examined the crash site, the alien wreckage looked way too terrestrial to me.

So it’s more of a procedural, finding the clues and putting them together to solve the aliens’ reason to expend huge amounts of effort to stage an invasion of Earth, seemingly triggered by our broadcasting crappy music at the stars. Maybe they’re the Milky Way Police and they’re telling us to turn it down?

So it’s more of a procedural, finding the clues and putting them together to solve the aliens’ reason to expend huge amounts of effort to stage an invasion of Earth, seemingly triggered by our broadcasting crappy music at the stars. Maybe they’re the Milky Way Police and they’re telling us to turn it down?

I read an interview with the show creators recently that mentioned their intent was a character drama rather than a special effects show. Definitely achieved that with the goofy 'robots'. I think another difference is it is a strictly European production vs. our usual US/Canadian science fiction. If it were normal times would I watch? Not really sure. I am curious though where the story will go. Unfortunately we'll have to wait a year to find out.

I really enjoyed the first episode, and some parts of subsequent episodes, but yes, it is definitely a "slow burn" show. I also don't like the subtitles - they don't leave them up long enough (and I'm a fast reader) and the font is too small.

Pros: the mechanical "dogs" are different. They're not rays or lasers or energy beams or big ships that float around blasting stuff. It's a different approach, they are evidently the aliens' eyes, ears and arms/hands. At least it seems that way for this season. The blind girl can, for some reason, see now. We don't yet know how/why that happened, but she can also seem to exert some kind of influence on the "dogs". Nice little mystery behind those two elements. Not a ton of language in it, just a pet-peeve of mine in sci-fi shows. Some good action pieces, but still a "slow burn".

Cons: They are paying-out the plot very slowly (hence the "slow burn"). Only a few likeable characters. Why did all the interesting characters get killed-off in the first episode (bad joke on my part, okay, okay...). With all the dead bodies laying around, one would think the stench would be getting rather intolerable outside by now...and wild animals would be feeding - haven't seen anything but a minor indication (the two guys hiding in the car from the "dog" as it was hunting for anyone alive) that anything outside smells bad. Why the "dogs" piled a lot of the bodies in a warehouse was left unexplained. Moving the radio-telescope dishes caused an alien to crash? Long after the invasion was over? Why? How? Well dang, start swinging them dishes around in big circles then!!! Broadcast death-metal over the dishes on all frequencies, maybe that'll take care of the aliens?

I could go on, but I've hung with it for 7 episodes, so I'll see how they cliff-hang us tonight to get us to tune in next season, which probably will be at least a year away, if it even got the nod for a second season...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)