Warner Bros. and CBS creates a new network called CW

This also means Superstations WWOR and WSBK will once again be independent, it may also mean the end of the Superstation package at E* if CW is considered a FT network. If the complete Superstation package dies, perhaps WWOR and WSBK will still be available on E* on a "a la carte" bases.

If CW broadcasts on the same schedule the WB did why will this change anything for the three superstations that have been WB affiliates for severl years? In fact the SHVERA definition of superstation states that they cannot be affilaited witha network that met certain requirements in 1995. WB and UPN did not meet tthat particular definition and the new CW will not either.

Last edited:
What happens to us in NY with both UPN9 and WPIX11?

I know UPN9 is owned by FOX the 6:00 news is broadcast out of the same studio as FOX5 news broadcast.

I also believe that UPN9 is owned by FOX

I have emailed the stations and WB and UPN themselves and nobody would respond back to me. One of them had a hotmail address and it said that they read it but they didn't write back. Oh well. Guess we will have to wait and see what will happen.

Geronimo said:
If CW broadcasts on the same schedule the WB did why will this change anything for the three superstations that have been WB affiliates for severl years? In fact the SHVERA definition of superstation states that they cannot be affilaited witha network that met certain requirements in 1995. WB and UPN did not meet tthat particular definition and the new CW will not either.

If I am not mistaken the WB only broadcast 6 nights a week and according to the press release, the CW will be on all 7 nights. This will likely put them over the top, because they will be doing the same amount of prime time that the FOX network does now.

A lot of theses stations also broadcast local sports NBA, MLB, College and more; will these shows continue on CW, go to cable, or stay with the independent?

Very interesting 35 minute press conference on this topic that you can view in streaming video in its entirety on WB11 website:

wb11.trb.com

See the video link a third of the way down the page.

Several questions asked above are ansered by watching the press conference & hearing the answers directly from CBS, WB, & Tribune CEOs...kind of like Charlie Chat, but far more intelligent.

Some points of note: In September, WWOR in New York will become an Independant station again. (According to UPN 9 news tonight, they will keep their local news & other syndicated programming; they are owned by Fox). Per Les Moonves (CEO of CBS), the contract with the Fox owned UPN stations is up at the end of August, hence the September changeover. Moonves had no information about what would happen to non-Tribune owned WB Stations or non-CBS owned UPN stations. That would be up to the station owners.

Something from the WB11 story on their website:

"Tribune owns and operates 26 TV stations in 22 markets across the country, including 19 affiliated with The WB Network. Under the agreement, 16 of those stations will join the new network:

WPIX-TV, New York; KTLA-TV, Los Angeles; WGN-TV, Chicago; WLVI-TV, Boston; KDAF-TV, Dallas; WBDC-TV, Washington, D.C.; KHWB-TV, Houston; WBZL-TV, Miami; KWGN-TV, Denver; KPLR-TV, St. Louis; KWBP-TV, Portland; WTTV-TV, Indianapolis; KSWB-TV, San Diego; WTXX-TV, Hartford; WNOL-TV, New Orleans; and WEWB-TV, Albany.

"Tribune stations will serve as the major market distribution backbone for what will be a strong network competitor," said John Reardon, Tribune Broadcasting president. "The viewers and advertisers in the markets we serve will benefit."

Tribune and CBS own overlapping WB and UPN affiliates in seven markets: Philadelphia, Boston, Dallas, Atlanta, Seattle, Miami and New Orleans. Tribune will be the affiliate in Boston, Dallas, Miami and New Orleans, and CBS will be the affiliate in Philadelphia, Atlanta and Seattle.

"We're confident that the scale of our television group will enable us to continue to acquire quality syndicated programming, both first-run and off-network, for our three independent stations," said Reardon."

How in the world are they going to get more ratings if half the stations that have WB/UPN will not turn into CW? I can see where the ratings would go up on the individual station. Would this mean that there would be additional stations that would try to get into the markets with the CW name? It looks like many stations will lose their favorite programs. I can only see negative things from this, not positive things.

The good thing about the superstations package is that it will allow us to get a little more broad content since they will show different content than what they show now and we would still be able to get CW from WPIX east coast and KTLA west coast.

Chris Freeland said:
If I am not mistaken the WB only broadcast 6 nights a week and according to the press release, the CW will be on all 7 nights. This will likely put them over the top, because they will be doing the same amount of prime time that the FOX network does now.

They are supposed to broadcast 7 days. 6 nights of primetime and saturday morning cartoons from the current WB cartoon block.

Uh oh, they plan on not putting one of my favorite shows on CW. Already petitions going out. I am NOT a happy camper right now. I HATE this stupid CW decision. They better have some EXCELLENT new content brought to this channel and make up for removing my favorite show. They better replace it with two excellent shows in its place. I may have a petition in my signature soon.

Stargazer said:
How in the world are they going to get more ratings if half the stations that have WB/UPN will not turn into CW?
As of right now, only two station groups have signed on to be CW affiliates. These stations cover 48 percent of the households in the United States. The CW expects to reach 95 percent. Therefore, the CW will need to reach more affiliate agreements. Those larger markets with gaping holes include Minneapolis, Phoenix, and Baltimore, to name a few. I fully expect Sinclair to step up to the plate, as the have many properties (and a WB or UPN) in the sub-50 markets.

Chris Freeland said:

Over the top for what? The CW will not affect Superstation package because it did not exist on January 1, 1995.

rtt2 said:
What happens to us in NY with both UPN9 and WPIX11?

I know UPN9 is owned by FOX the 6:00 news is broadcast out of the same studio as FOX5 news broadcast.

I also believe that UPN9 is owned by FOX

According to the press release WPIX will be aqn affilaite of CW. WWOR will not be. We do not yet know what programming it will offfer.

lacruz:

The Washington DC area has both WB (WBDC 50) & UPN (WDCA 20) stations. "Overlapping?" Your post lists the WB station as moving to CW, so presumably that means the UPN station will become independent- but not "independent-as-in-the-programming-formerly-known-as-PAX."

Oh, well, since Enterprise went away I guess it doesn't matter any more.

the pittsburgh post gazette is reporting that the surviving station will be the channel 19 upn outlet. sinclairs channel 22 is out in the cold here in the burgh.

navychop said:
lacruz:

The Washington DC area has both WB (WBDC 50) & UPN (WDCA 20) stations. "Overlapping?" Your post lists the WB station as moving to CW, so presumably that means the UPN station will become independent- but not "independent-as-in-the-programming-formerly-known-as-PAX."

Oh, well, since Enterprise went away I guess it doesn't matter any more.

DCRTV.Com which follows DC area media matters has reported that the management of WDCA was surprised by the news. At this time they will be independent. Who knows if FOX has other plans for the channel.