Warning: Dvr 510 Upgrade

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
You may have heard that Dish was having a special offer on Dish 510 units the other night on the Charlie Chat.

The offer sounded really good! (Almost too good to be true!)

Well the old saying is "If it sounds too good to be true then it probably isn't" fits.

Dish has launched a website letting users know about the new offer.
http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/customerCare/offers/501_upgrade/index.shtml

Notice the FINE PRINT at the bottom of the page...

If DISH Player-DVR 510 is replacing an existing receiver, the receiver being replaced must be returned to DISH Network or will be subject to a $50 fee.
Also note that if you order this there is a $24.95 shipping fee!

So this $79 (or $99 if you get the unit installed) may cost you an additional $75 more when all is said and done, plus you are locked into Dish Network for another year.

So let's figure you take them up on the $99 deal, it will cost you $24.99 for shipping, plus you dont want to give them your old equipment, they charge you an additional $50. Now your $99 receiver is $173.00 and you may have to pay $4.98 a month extra for DVR fees if you don't have the Everything pack. You are better off buying a 508 for $239 from DishStore.NET!

Buyer Beware!

Then there's this on the next page:

deactivates the DISH Player-DVR 510 satellite TV receiver at any time during the agreement period, a $240 Cancellation Fee will be assessed.
I thought charlie said $79 or did I hear wrong?

Scott, thats just par for the course. I wish they would do something with the 522 for existing customers. (Have a nice day whats left of it ,and thats truely free.)

He did say $79 but this site has no mention of it. Dish Networks advertising practices really need to be investiagated.

Scott Greczkowski said:
He did say $79 but this site has no mention of it. Dish Networks advertising practices really need to be investiagated.

Scott, today is only the 14th and this new special does not start until the 15th which is not until tomorrow, of course it is not on the web site today, you should know this. :) The deal for the 501 is not on the website yet either, does it also start on the 15th? :)

Sounds like Dish is trying to protect itself with long-term programming commitments!
Think about it, you commit for one year(or more) and if Dish can't reach agreement with
Turner and you lose channels it would be expensive to drop their service. Also, that $4.98 VOD fee every month certainly does'nt hurt their cash flow! I don't have a problem in principal with programming commitments, but I would read the fine print.

After reading the website, I would recommend adding the receiver not replacing one. Then you can take the other receiver off the account in a month or so and save the $50 and keep the receiver.

Scott how about making this warning a sticky?
If you want to do the $79 you can't add a receiver you must replace. If you add you must do the $99 and have it installed.

With the old $99 offer (expires today, I guess), the additional $24.95 was only if you were adding the 510, to defray the cost of the required installation. They charged a flat $99, including shipping, if it was an upgrade. The $99 upgrade had the same $50 penealty if not returning one of the existing receivers.

How does it work for those on the DHP/DHA currently? In December I had a 508 and a 301; swapped the 301 for a 510 on the DHP for a 49.99 upgrade fee. No S&H plus got free delivery and install.

jlhugh said:
So if I activate it as a 3rd receiver then I will be OK?
If you currently have two receivers, they will charge an extra $25 for the required installation of the 510 as an additional receiver.

If you currently have 2 receivers, and you have them ship it to you as an upgrade, but install it yourself and keep your 2nd receiver anyway, they will charge you $50.

If you currently have 3 receivers, and are replacing one of them with the 510, you can have it shipped directly with no additional penalties as long as you ship back the one you are replacing.

The following statement is written in the terms and conditions for the promo

"Separate offer available to customers currently enrolled in the Digital Dynamite / Digital Home Plans (call for details). "

Does anyone know what the separate offer is for DHP customers?

Scott

I really need your help. I am getting totally frustrated by E*. I just got off the phone with a regular CSR who told me that I CAN NOT get a 510 b/c I already have a 508 on my account. But instead for the lovely price of $299, I could buy the 510. I am sorry, but this is not what Charlie stated. Why am I having such a hard time with E* (me guesses they have nice notes written about me in my account)

Scott, if you can please contact your person over at E* and please get a straight answer. I have seen people out here on the DHP who have both a 508 and 510.

PLEASE HELP, BEFORE I GO POSTAL (on the phone that is)

Update- Just called back and now another CSR is telling me the 510 special is $99 installed.

On the recent Charlie Chat, Charlie and that other idiot both said you would be eligible even if you already have another DVR/PVR.

Oops. Nevermind. I see you got it by playing CSR roulette. One time out of six, you'll get a live one. The rest are blanks.

GaryPen said:
On the recent Charlie Chat, Charlie and that other idiot both said you would be eligible even if you already have another DVR/PVR.

Oops. Nevermind. I see you got it by playing CSR roulette. One time out of six, you'll get a live one. The rest are blanks.

Well, another fine example of super duper customer service. The rep I was speaking to that told me the I could get the deal for $99, did not seem to know that the new promo price was $79. So he put me on hold to get out his employee hand book, so he could read up on how to get info for new promos. He most have gotten squished by the really big book b/c he kept me on hold for over 20 minutes and never came back to me. I hung up b/c I was tired of waiting.

I guess I will need to call back another time and day. Then people out here wonder why I went to the executive CSRs, and crucified me for it. Well, I don't need to be Inestine, oops that's suppose to be Einstein to say I knew it or I told you so!!!

HDTV Rookie said:
Well, another fine example of super duper customer service. The rep I was speaking to that told me the I could get the deal for $99, did not seem to know that the new promo price was $79. So he put me on hold to get out his employee hand book, so he could read up on how to get info for new promos. He most have gotten squished by the really big book b/c he kept me on hold for over 20 minutes and never came back to me. I hung up b/c I was tired of waiting.

maybe that was something they should have trained the CSR's to do on a regular basis....

or am I a fool to think there was actually training involved?

HDTV Rookie said:
He most have gotten squished by the really big book b/c he kept me on hold for over 20 minutes and never came back to me. I hung up b/c I was tired of waiting.

I think they do that on purpose when they don't know the answer to something. I've had CSR's actually hang up on me, while on hold, when they are "researching" an issue they obviously have no clue about.

I've given up talking to regular CSR's. I always choose the technical option (is it 3?) when calling Dish. The tech CSR's can do programming, billing, activations, etc. But, thankfully, at least they have two brain cells to rub together, unlike the standard CSR's in what I like to call the Learning Disabled Division at Dish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)