Warning iOS 13.4 Update Drains Battery

Frank Jr.

Beati pacifici 5:9
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 8, 2004
Columbia S.C.
Updated both iPhone SE cell phones (Mine&Wifes) yesterday with iOS 13.4. Both phone batteries were dead this morning. Charging as we speak.....

P.S. Under battery usage I found some type of background mail app that had been running for 10 hours 39 minutes. Everything else was normal far as I can tell. Currently on hold with Apple technical support.

Last edited:
Just got off the phone (Home Phone) with a senior tech from Apple. She had me change some setting on my iPhone and told me to wait 24 hrs and see if the battery drain is fixed. Somehow I think I will be calling back tomorrow. I suspect Apple will be rolling out more updates soon to fix the bugs created by iOS 13.4.

Thanks harshness for that link.

I have IOS 13.4 on my IPhone 8+ and I am not having an issue with battery drain.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Running same software with the SE’s, She hasn’t said anything, mine does seem to eat more battery life...

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys mobile app
At least ours were not dead this morning, but like yours I did notice slightly less battery charge than before the update.

Before the update, battery health on both iPhone's was 99%, now both indicating 98%. A 1% drop may not be much, but after the update that completely drained both batteries I am not surprised. Is Apple back to inserting nefarious software in their products, or just not properly testing their updates before release?

, or just not properly testing their updates before release?
Bingo! :yes

I learned long ago not to update the wife's iPad until all the dust has settled and not until I Googled the bejeebers out of it to make certain. I don't understand why people are so anxious to install an upgrade, at least not until it's been shown to work properly. Anyone remember iOS 8.0.1 being pulled by Apple or the 9 debacle? Apple has a history of bad updates so my advice is wait a while before updating anything.

Bingo! :yes

I learned long ago not to update the wife's iPad until all the dust has settled and not until I Googled the bejeebers out of it to make certain. I don't understand why people are so anxious to install an upgrade, at least not until it's been shown to work properly. Anyone remember iOS 8.0.1 being pulled by Apple or the 9 debacle? Apple has a history of bad updates so my advice is wait a while before updating anything.

Apparently it doesn't matter if one waits or not.
Complaints about this can be found in multiple forums, including Reddit and Apple’s Support Communities (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13 etc) impacting every iPhone model and every version of iOS 13, including the latest iOS 13.3.1 release. The problem always takes the same form: users navigate to Settings > Cellular > Cellular Data (either by chance or because of a big bill) and find a mysterious entry called ‘Uninstalled Apps’ which is steadily consuming data. Source: Mystery Data Consumption Just Gave Many Users A Reason To Quit Their iPhones

I’m on 13.3.1 and my battery certainly dies quicker. But is it just due to age?

I’m on 13.3.1 and my battery certainly dies quicker. But is it just due to age?
Check for Uninstalled Apps using your data and battery. Read the complete page in the link I provided just above your last post.

Here it is again and an image copied from the same link. Mystery Data Consumption Just Gave Many Users A Reason To Quit Their iPhones

APPLE2.JPG

Usually any update to iOS typically burns through battery after installation due to indexing your iPhone’s local content. I think the usual “cure” is to shut down your iPhone a day after updating and see if that helps your battery usage.

That graphic shows that Facebook is installed on that iPhone. I’m sorry, but installing Facebook on your iPhone is like connecting your Windows XP computer directly to the Internet. I wonder how many of those “uninstalled” Apps were installed by Facebook or their subsidiaries.

On my phone those statistics show they haven’t been reset since Sept of 2013. Doubt, in my case at least, the numbers are meaningful. But my battery is just fine anyway.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Foxbat
Apparently it doesn't matter if one waits or not.
As the Forbes article point out, the efficacy of recent testing seems to be declining so it is becoming more important to individually weigh improvements against the soon-to-be-identified damages. Some things you step in aren't easy to scrape off.

On my phone those statistics show they haven’t been reset since Sept of 2013. Doubt, in my case at least, the numbers are meaningful. But my battery is just fine anyway.
Good point! I looked at my Cellular usage, and "Uninstalled Apps" was 380K. After resetting my statistics (which I hadn't done on my iPhone 8 since I bought it) this category is now at the bottom with no entry.

Since Apple tracks all Apps' Cellular Usage, when you delete an App off of your iPhone, they probably take its data use and add it to the "Uninstalled" category. So a tech reporter with an iPhone who is probably installing Apps to try them out and removing them when the test is done would therefore see a large use under the "Uninstalled Apps" category if the statistics were never reset.
I wonder how many of those “uninstalled” Apps were installed by Facebook or their subsidiaries.
After klang posted, I'm taking back my accusation that Facebook was installing covert Apps on their users' iPhones. His explanation is the more reasonable explanation for this "Uninstalled Apps" Cellular Data Usage..

Nothing to see here, folks; move along, move along…

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts