Warning: Weinstein HD DVDs may have glitches...

BobMurdoch

Playing XBoxOne SeriesX/Supporter
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 12, 2003
Brielle, NJ
http://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA6404713.html?nid=2705

In late December, a survey by technology site AVSForum.com reported that about 50% of respondents were experiencing glitches with Weinstein HD DVDs, which are distributed by Genius Products. Affected titles include The Matador, Derailed and Wolf Creek.
Weinstein releases HD DVD versions of Clerks II, Pulse and Lucky Number Slevin on Jan. 16, but early discs of Clerks II received by VB had the same problems.
Users have reported faulty playback using both Toshiba HD DVD players and the Xbox 360 HD DVD add-on drive. Problems include overly slow load times, picture freezes and unreadable discs.

Was gonna get Clerks II on HD DVD, but I'll wait until they resolves this....

http://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA6404713.html?nid=2705

In late December, a survey by technology site AVSForum.com reported that about 50% of respondents were experiencing glitches with Weinstein HD DVDs, which are distributed by Genius Products. Affected titles include The Matador, Derailed and Wolf Creek.
Weinstein releases HD DVD versions of Clerks II, Pulse and Lucky Number Slevin on Jan. 16, but early discs of Clerks II received by VB had the same problems.
Users have reported faulty playback using both Toshiba HD DVD players and the Xbox 360 HD DVD add-on drive. Problems include overly slow load times, picture freezes and unreadable discs.

Was gonna get Clerks II on HD DVD, but I'll wait until they resolves this....

Thanks for the heads up, I was waiting for Clerks II also!

No problems here. I have the HD-A1 & RCA HD DVD players. Wolf Creek, Matador and Derailed all played perfect on both players.

BTW, I would highly recommend Matador and would recommend Wolf Creek if you're into that type of horror.

-John

No problems here. I have the HD-A1 & RCA HD DVD players. Wolf Creek, Matador and Derailed all played perfect on both players.

BTW, I would highly recommend Matador and would recommend Wolf Creek if you're into that type of horror.

-John

I tried Matador for the first time last night and could not get it to play. Loads and then display just shows "PLAY" and freezes. Tried it several times and no luck. Finally gave up and popped in "Sahara" and it played fine. I have a preorder for "ClerksII", but I think I will cancel it.

BTW, I have an HD-A1.

Don't forget that he has another disc of his Q & As in London and Toronto. An Evening with Kevin Smith 2: Evening Harder.....

More good stuff. The only question he quickly glossed over was when a guy tried to insinuate that he made Episode 1: The Phantom Edit (a reedited version of the first Star Wars prequel with a lot less JarJar that many say is a better version.) He sidestepped like a politician. Didn't deny, although he did talk about getting himself invited to a prescreening of Ep. 3 (the show was filmed before last summer)

Heads up on Miramx/Genius HD-DVD movies and Xbox 360

Hi Everyone,
Just wanted to let you know that I have tried two copies now of Matador on my XBox 360 system and they both will not play. Either I get a blank screen (lockup?) or a splash screen saying to the effect that due to my parental settings the movie cannot played. All my settings are set to allow all types, that is nothing locked or prohibited. I have over 30 hd dvds and over 200 dvds of all various ratings and this the first problems of this kind I have experienced. The only factor I can find is that it is a Miramax/Genius HD-DVD, which the only one I have. I now have reservations of buying any more movies, including Clerks II which I wanted, that are made by Miramax/Genius.

Needless to say I am returning these Matador copies to Amazon whom has been excellent as far as my returns, and will avoid Miramax/Genius HD-DVD movies until I come across information that they have addressed this issue.

Last edited:

-John

Just a thought here, what version software is your HD-A1 using?

Hi Everyone,
Just wanted to let you know that I have tried two copies now of Matador on my XBox 360 system and they both will not play. Either I get a blank screen (lockup?) or a splash screen saying to the effect that due to my parental settings the movie cannot played. All my settings are set to allow all types, that is nothing locked or prohibited. I have over 30 hd dvds and over 200 dvds of all various ratings and this the first problems of this kind I have experienced. The only factor I can find is that it is a Miramax/Genius HD-DVD, which the only one I have. I now have reservations of buying any more movies, including Clerks II which I wanted, that are made by Miramax/Genius.

Needless to say I am returning these Matador copies to Amazon whom has been excellent as far as my returns, and will avoid Miramax/Genius HD-DVD movies until I come across information that they have addressed this issue.

I watched Matador (from Netflix) on my HD-A1 the other day. Didn't notice any problems.
Must be an issue with XBox (in which case it will most likely be fixed with a software update), or perhaps a bad batch of discs.

Welcome to SatelliteGuys, DrRommstein!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)