Warning

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jrl29445

Original poster
May 5, 2006
My phone connection on my receiver hasn't worked in years. Last night I thought I would play around with wiring to see if I could get to work. To make along story short....I did get it working. So I connected it to my receiver and ran a system test....everything checked out OK. This morning I went online to check my bill and there were (25) movies bought last night!!! Some of these movies were bought a year ago.
The receiver was saving all the attempts at purchasing movies in the past when the phone line was not working and when I plug the hot phone line in, it downloaded all the purchases to DirecTv.

Live and learn

jrl29445 said:
My phone connection on my receiver hasn't worked in years. Last night I thought I would play around with wiring to see if I could get to work. To make along story short....I did get it working. So I connected it to my receiver and ran a system test....everything checked out OK. This morning I went online to check my bill and there were (25) movies bought last night!!! Some of these movies were bought a year ago.
The receiver was saving all the attempts at purchasing movies in the past when the phone line was not working and when I plug the hot phone line in, it downloaded all the purchases to DirecTv.

Live and learn
whats your question or warning, is the ird supposed to forget about the movies you ordered?

That is the reason D* wants the phone line pluged in. There is a cap of how much you can spend before it must call D*. I think 100 bucks. I turned off the ability to order PPV on all but the 2 that are hooked up to phone lines at my place.

so the ird functioned exactly how it was supposed too,be funny if dtv charged intrest for those year old movie watch but not paid for until last night

I think jrl29445 was saying that he was charged with "attempts" to order movies, but never watched them since the phone couldn't confirm the order. Is this a more accurate depiction of the problem/warning?

The phone does not confirm an order, it only bills it after the purchase. When you have PPV space/access and order via the remote the purchase is complete and the transaction is stored, it will not store anything that is not purchased, thus no billing. It will continue to allow ordering up to a point, and it will continue to store those purchases; there is no "phone" conformation. The use could still watch anything he remote ordered until the receiver PPV was shut off. There is no billing for an unordered event.

So bottom line, anything that was stored WAS ordered, even if they didn't watch it, and it is billable. In 10 years of PPV ordering I have never had anyting bill that was not ordered, and everything ordered was billed.

Last edited:
Thanks for the clarification...sounds to me like delayed billing would be appropriate then...tough luck to get 1 big bill for a year's worth movies.

atp1313 said:
I think jrl29445 was saying that he was charged with "attempts" to order movies, but never watched them since the phone couldn't confirm the order. Is this a more accurate depiction of the problem/warning?

that cant be the case. the only time a message will come up saying to check phone line is once the purchase limit has been reached. if the IPPV flag is disable in the D* system, you will not be able to order them anyways. You will not be cherged for movies you didn't watch; not possible

VagiDirecTV said:
that cant be the case. the only time a message will come up saying to check phone line is once the purchase limit has been reached. if the IPPV flag is disable in the D* system, you will not be able to order them anyways. You will not be cherged for movies you didn't watch; not possible

You can get charged for movies not watched.... You buy the movie eairly and then forget about it. You still have to pay for it.

Well anyways, I did not watch any of the movies. I "atempted" to watch the movies. Before hooking up the phone line again I should have checked for past purchases,

Its a wonder they dont charge a late fee for the PPV movies that were not downloaded to them through the phoneline.

Status
Please reply by conversation.