Was I unreasonable?

Then think about that if you didn't really know the equipment what it would be like. Most CSR's don't use the E* equipment and know much less than those of us on the forum. It would even been worse than a PC person trying to diag Mac problems. You really are harder on them than you should be as far as I'm concerned. I've been in their shoes (not as sat) and it can be a real PITA.
I'm sorry .. You're telling me... that Dish Tech Chat ... knows nothing about Dish/Echostar? ... and lets expand on what went wrong here..

Wilson (ID: V67): Is the issue with one button or are none of them working?
Roger : No several of the most used buttons are requiring a lot more pressure to work
Wilson (ID: V67): What is the model ID number of your receiver to which remote belongs to? The model ID is listed in the lower left hand corner on the front of your receiver. You can also find this by pressing the sys info button on your receiver. The model ID will be listed near the top of the system info screen or in field D.
Roger : 622
Wilson (ID: V67): Okay.
Wilson (ID: V67): Please check to make sure you have the correct remote for this room. Is it a TV1 or TV2 remote?
Very first question "Wilson" asked was right .. what wilson did *not* do .. is pay attention to the answer.. "several buttons" but not all?

the problems with sluggish response... are usually all buttons.. and sometimes a power cycle with take care of "sluggish" remotes.. but whats the next thing Wilson does? Is it the right remote?

the right remote?

And even if we go onto the "don't use echostar equipment" as you'd maintain for the CSR's ... you saying the CSR has never used a remote control? and has never seen their remote wear over time/years .etc.?

now you're talking crazy.. I will grant that maybe it was a new person.. but when the OP then reenforced good batteries, just some buttons, etc.. how could that chat tech *not* restarted to think of the problem from the beginning?

They're in the wrong job if they can't adapt what they are hearing to what steps they go through.

Last edited:
Over all the state side Dish CSR's to include the Dish Internet Response Team (DIRT) here at SatelliteGuys are really really good. If you have had to deal with some other companies customer service like at&t you will appreciate Dish very much. If and when I have a problem I will contact a DIRT member here first. They can be found at the bottom of the forums page in red. As far as the OP's question about being unreasonable, just try and be a little more patient with the guys reading from a script, they are responding to your issue as they have been instructed to do.

I'm sorry .. You're telling me... that Dish Tech Chat ... knows nothing about Dish/Echostar? ... and lets expand on what went wrong here..

Very first question "Wilson" asked was right .. what wilson did *not* do .. is pay attention to the answer.. "several buttons" but not all?

the problems with sluggish response... are usually all buttons.. and sometimes a power cycle with take care of "sluggish" remotes.. but whats the next thing Wilson does? Is it the right remote?

the right remote?

And even if we go onto the "don't use echostar equipment" as you'd maintain for the CSR's ... you saying the CSR has never used a remote control? and has never seen their remote wear over time/years .etc.?

now you're talking crazy.. I will grant that maybe it was a new person.. but when the OP then reenforced good batteries, just some buttons, etc.. how could that chat tech *not* restarted to think of the problem from the beginning?

They're in the wrong job if they can't adapt what they are hearing to what steps they go through.
I'm saying that the CSR's not the tech dept don't understand most of what is done outside of what is on the forms they read. And do they use the equipment day to day. Some do some don't. Also they just plain and simple didn't understand the problem was only the remote control. Had I been on the call 1st thing I would've done was ask if his 2nd remote did the same thing or not. There is the difference tween them and someone that knows the equipment inside out like we do here. So I really feel it was a lack of good communication tween them and the OP. I believe in giving the CSR the benefit of a doubt that they understood what the OP was telling them. They were thinking one way and he wasn't understanding that they weren't understanding. You seem to think the worst of them as most of your post say over and over.

You seem to think the worst of them as most of your post say over and over.
Not exactly... the original question "was I unreasonable" ... to which I say the answer is NO ... our OP was not harsh and didn't ride the CSR with a bullwhip and saddle ... so no.. I don't think it was unreasonable to get on a chat ... tell them that you're seeing problems with *one* remote, *several buttons*, fresh enough batteries, etc.. and to have the chat person go off on the "power cycle" tangent is near nutz.

As a call tech myself.. if I'd sensed or gotten that feeling from the caller I would have immediately backed up, and made sure the caller/chatter and I were on the same page of problems.. this CSR/Tech Chat person didn't.. 'their bad' ... not our OP's.

I would also agree with the lack of good communication.. which again, the Chat Tech/CSR should have taken back control and started over ... instead.. what it seems like is that the Chat Tech/CSR was just looking for a reason to dump the call.. "you can't do X, call me back when you can" (not saying the chat guy said that.. but that's what it seemed like)

Making Stats is one thing, failing to help a customer is another.. I don't expect the guru when I call in or chat.. but I do expect that when I've already eliminated other causes, done the usual steps.. that at that point the Tier I sets up a hand off to Tier II.

As for the whole system in general.. 1 in 8 chats I've had with them has gone ok.. ONE in Eight. Two in 10, and of the Twitter attempts with Dish_answers, including one where that twitter tech called me.. and tried to tell me that *all* sling connections, the Administrivia And the Video/Audio stream go out the internet and back into our pc's... as opposed to being on the same network only the administrivia goes out, not the video/audio stream.

So.. Dish techs for the most part have been clueless or 100% wrong about some of the tech ... even those that are supposed to be Tier II. Haven't had such issues with Dish IRT ... but the other side of that coin, is that if Dish were doing things right, Dish IRT wouldn't need to be out here on sites outside of the Dish moniker. Imagine how much more productive Dish IRT could be if they were getting hit through only one medium rather than SatGuys, DBSTalk, Twitter, & Facebook, and if Dish IRT had all the tools needed from the get go, rather than back filling as they've been forced to (cultivation of internal contacts, etc)

I guess I just don't understand why some will argue that a lack of knowledge and ability is good customer service.

It's not just Dish, it's everywhere. We are becoming a society filled with people who either don't possess the skills required for the job they are doing, or just flat out don't care about the job they are doing.

We've become more concerned with sending our kids to be "educated" by pony-tailed professors, than making sure that they actually develop useful skills. Companies make the problem worse by placing more value on accreditation than skill during the hiring process, not to mention the compensation process. You can see the result.

If it's true that "Most CSR's don't use the E* equipment and know much less than those of us on the forum", then that's more of an indictment than a defense. That's admitting that Dish can't fill those positions with the right people.

How would you like the aircraft mechanic of the next plane you fly on to be someone who knows nothing about planes?

Normally when I contact tech support for Dish, Dell, Comcast, ...etc, I just lay out all of the steps that I have already done. Sometimes they will actually say "Oh, seems that you have already diagnosed the issue" and just send me the parts. Not always, but it helps sometimes.

Next time ya'll want a new remote just say the remote ligjts don't come on when pressing the buttons, the remote wont control the reciever, and yes I have changed the batteries and the remote still does not operate the reciever and the mode lights still dont come on. It is broken for sure..........

Next time ya'll want a new remote just say the remote ligjts don't come on when pressing the buttons, the remote wont control the reciever, and yes I have changed the batteries and the remote still does not operate the reciever and the mode lights still dont come on. It is broken for sure..........
Then run over it with your car for good measure... ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts