Was I unreasonable?

rogerpl

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 7, 2007
Northern Vt.
Welcome to DISH Network Chat.
Wilson (ID: V67): Hi Roger.
Wilson (ID: V67): How may I help you today?
Roger : Hi- couple of things
Wilson (ID: V67): Please go ahead.
Roger : My remote is dying
Wilson (ID: V67): I’m very sorry to hear that you are having an issue. I’d be happy to resolve that for you.
Roger : Also I can't get BB movie pass yet on my 622
Wilson (ID: V67): Is the issue with one button or are none of them working?
Roger : No several of the most used buttons are requiring a lot more pressure to work
Wilson (ID: V67): What is the model ID number of your receiver to which remote belongs to? The model ID is listed in the lower left hand corner on the front of your receiver. You can also find this by pressing the sys info button on your receiver. The model ID will be listed near the top of the system info screen or in field D.
Roger : 622
Wilson (ID: V67): Okay.
Wilson (ID: V67): Please check to make sure you have the correct remote for this room. Is it a TV1 or TV2 remote?
Roger : tv 1 remote gets the most use.
Wilson (ID: V67): Do you have fresh batteries installed in the remote? If not, please replace them.
Roger : Batteries r okay- Just several buttons require more effort other work just fine - tried that today to make sure.
Wilson (ID: V67): Have you ever unplugged the DISH receiver for 10 seconds and plugged back in to reset it?
Roger : Wilson, its the remote.
Wilson (ID: V67): I understand.
Wilson (ID: V67): It will also works sometimes if you reset the receiver.
Wilson (ID: V67): Please unplug your receiver from the power outlet and leave it unplugged for 15 seconds. Plug it back in, you may have to power the receiver back on. This may take up to 2 minutes.
Roger : I'm not at home but since you insist that i can't figure out if its a worn out remote I guess we are done for tonight
Wilson (ID: V67): Okay. Roger, once you are at home. Please reset the receiver and check if that works.
Roger : You really don't get it do you. I'm pissed. It's the remote. Not hard to understand but since you want to be difficult I'll just copy this and send it to customer service as well as on prominent web site. Have a nice night.
Wilson (ID: V67): I apologize for the inconvenience.
Wilson (ID: V67): Roger, please understand that it is one of the step of troubleshooting the issue you have with the remote.
Wilson (ID: V67): Please do not worry, if that did not work. We will then replace the remote for you.
Wilson (ID: V67): And it will be free for you.
Roger : 3 or 4 buttons arent working and you think the remote isn't the problem- Just doing you job I guess
Wilson (ID: V67): I did not mean that, Roger.

Yeah, you were a little bit of a jerk. The Tier-1 folks have to go through their script before they can escalate.

I felt the same way last week though.

One of my receivers was showing the "complete signal loss" screen. I had already narrowed down the issue to a problem on the outside of my house. To test, I had swapped the feeds coming into the house to my two receivers, and the problem moved to the other receiver.

The tech on the phone wanted me to go through the whole troubleshooting process, including unplugging the receiver for 10 seconds. I told him that I had already determined that the problem was outside, but in the end I went ahead and did as he asked, since it really only took a few extra minutes.

When that didn't work, he escalated the call to the advanced tech support folks who immediately scheduled a tech to come out. The tech replaced some corroded connectors on the outside of my house and everything has been working well.

Yeah, it's frustrating when you know what the problem is, but have to still go through the script.

-SF

When are you going to lean to go through the DIRT members??

I would have just bought a new remote on EBay...they're like 10-12 bucks :)

Heck I would have bought 2 just to have a backup...remotes do go bad

Yeah you were a little off base. They were only trying to help. You should asked for a supervisor or second tier tech.

I agree with a previous poster, use the DIRT members we have here. They can give you far better service!

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Yeah you were a little off base. They were only trying to help. You should asked for a supervisor or second tier tech.

I agree with a previous poster, use the DIRT members we have here. They can give you far better service!

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Sh--I'd have paid the 20.00 if he just would have believed me, but I'm sure he has to stick to the script. You know they go bad and i know they go bad, I just wanted Wilson to believe me LOL>
I do feel a little bad.

Sh--I'd have paid the 20.00 if he just would have believed me, but I'm sure he has to stick to the script. You know they go bad and i know they go bad, I just wanted Wilson to believe me LOL>
I do feel a little bad.
Send me a PM with your account info and I will see about getting the new remote and also tell me what is happening with the BBMP. We will get both issues resolved ASAP, thanks!

User error... your failure started with when they asked how they could help you and you stated. "My remote is dying " Nice and specific there, and led to even the best tier 1 support staff having pull out their script.

Since the script is nearly identical in the first few lines, I always start with:
A specific description of my problem, stated slowly and completely.
Then, I specifically state what actions I have taken thus far stated slowly and completely. I.e. pressed and held down reset on the front panel. Then unplugged the receiver for 15 minutes and plugged it back in. And then dragged my other receiver down and connected it to the same connections and confirmed the issue is, with the switch/dish/wiring, with the receiver. The best CSR's will take all that in, ask a couple additional questions, and then escalate or do whatever is necessary to get things working again. The standard CSR will still go through the script.

Welcome to DISH Network Chat.
No, you weren't unreasonable, you just weren't prepared to go the distance, lying if needed, but knowing how to work the system.

When are you going to learn to go through the DIRT members??
This is beneath them. I would hope that because Dish IRT has wilsons' id.. that they turn it in .. Wilson could have gone over the needs, picked out the things that back up what would need a power cycle.. sluggish response, no response, etc.. and gotten to the proper conclusion ... or asked enough questions to be comfortable believing the OP was sufficiently tech savvy.

Beyond turning in Wilson for not thinking and only following a script... its resulted in yet another customer going away upset, simply because the tech wasn't attentive. such as the "what receiver is this" rather than say "is this the remote for the 622" which was the model mentioned directly by the OP.

And that's part of the big problem with Dish Techs / Front line .. they don't read and comprehend what people have told them. Just like the other post-er says "gives details slowly" .. I've done that.. though you should ask "how does one type <slowly>" for the tech to catch up/comprehend, when its right there in front of them (yes this time the OP may have more than one receiver, etc but like I said "is this the remote for that 622" ...)

I know they have to do the script, just shoulda lied to him i guess. Oh well.
yes.. could've lied. Only problem, is if they were really on the ball.. they would watch your receivers, and ID the one that goes off line for a minute, because you figure they can see its status just like you can when you go to DRA or DO ... or "already tried" as was also said..

And no negatives intended for Dish IRT ... just think if Dish doesn't learn about their mistakes, especially by tracking things the Dish IRT team finds is being discussed, or cases where Dish truly needs to improve, then dish is wasting a valuable resource.

No, you weren't unreasonable, you just weren't prepared to go the distance, lying if needed, but knowing how to work the system.

This is beneath them. I would hope that because Dish IRT has wilsons' id.. that they turn it in .. Wilson could have gone over the needs, picked out the things that back up what would need a power cycle.. sluggish response, no response, etc.. and gotten to the proper conclusion ... or asked enough questions to be comfortable believing the OP was sufficiently tech savvy.

Beyond turning in Wilson for not thinking and only following a script... its resulted in yet another customer going away upset, simply because the tech wasn't attentive. such as the "what receiver is this" rather than say "is this the remote for the 622" which was the model mentioned directly by the OP.

And that's part of the big problem with Dish Techs / Front line .. they don't read and comprehend what people have told them. Just like the other post-er says "gives details slowly" .. I've done that.. though you should ask "how does one type <slowly>" for the tech to catch up/comprehend, when its right there in front of them (yes this time the OP may have more than one receiver, etc but like I said "is this the remote for that 622" ...)

yes.. could've lied. Only problem, is if they were really on the ball.. they would watch your receivers, and ID the one that goes off line for a minute, because you figure they can see its status just like you can when you go to DRA or DO ... or "already tried" as was also said..

And no negatives intended for Dish IRT ... just think if Dish doesn't learn about their mistakes, especially by tracking things the Dish IRT team finds is being discussed, or cases where Dish truly needs to improve, then dish is wasting a valuable resource.

You don't understand. Dish wants (demands) their employees to follow script (follow policy). Because if they don't, then they can't "micro-manage" them to death.

I don't think it's a matter of being unreasonable, but I do see another side to it. I have seen posts where some buttons do not work. For instance the ahead and back button. Why? Because the receiver has to be reset. Ditto the record button sometimes when a show is already in progress and you want to record the rest of it. I have seen pushing the record button do nothing, and I have to reset the receiver. It's not often at all, but it does happen.

So I think it's reasonable for that to be a step the CSR wants to do. Don't we most always recommend to reset the receiver for problems and go from there?

BTW - I have many times been able to clean my remote by using a damp cloth with a little Dawn dish soap. You clean the contact area where the button pushes down on. (Take the remote apart) Then take a hair dryer to dry it. Several articles online describe this, and it works well.
Sometimes it's just time for a new remote however.....

Are the DIRT folks here part of the same group that runs the @dishnetwork twitter account?

The group that works the twitter account is great. I prefer to work with them than call the main support line.

-SF

I worked with someone on the Twitter / Dish_Answers team last month and they aren't any of the Dish IRT that I've seen here. Needless to say the person was completely clueless. Knew some things, but acted like DishOnline's starting content on TV1 was something that's never been known to occur. And as if DRA never had it.. and also needless ... I didn't hold any stock in him finding anything and fixing it.. after three or four more DM's over a week and no response.. I knew I was dealing with the same old dish garbage as usual.

DIRT team is another valuable resource for some here but if you are employed by DNS I would suggest using a different medium for resolving your problems as they always ask for your account info and then they will know exactly who you are and as has been mentioned before sometimes there are consequences for things posted online.

As for CSR and their scripts well imo anyone working in this area should have the basic knowledge of how these systems work rather than someone thrown in fromt of a computer and told answer the phones. Even as a tech calling in and ID themselves as a tech they still try to walk you thru these mundane unneeded tasks. Although when you do get ahold of a knowledgable CSR agent it is very easy to tell as much of it can be skipped based on the very basic questions and if they listened to you in the first place rather than wasting the next 30 minutes trying to get you to do the basics that most people will have already tried.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts