Was told I cant get a line of Site for Dish ?

In Ohio, the 129' is "low" compared to the 110' and 119' satellites and here I suspect the trees would be a problem. In GA though, all of the satellites are "higher" up, I believe, and it's possible that it might be pointed at.

Now ya got me....Whats' a test dish.How is used..How can you do a test without physically attaching a dish to the home, on a pole, etc?. I ask this because in 9 years in this business I have never seen, worked with or even spoken to a tech who possesed a "test dish"...

Hehehe, time to learn a new trick and I made it better.

Build a 300 or 500 it doesnt really matter though if you have a twin meter then the 500 is better. Run out your 6ft lead to your meter from the lnbf(s) on the dish and after turning on your meter you rest the sleeve of the dish adjustment head on your upper thigh if your standing in the yard or sitting on the roof or rest it on a stationary object guestimating that its level or get yourself a corner level and use double sided sticky tape and atach it to the sleeve and you can then better test for the satellites. Remember that the sats are in a staggered pattern and so long as your good with a compas and your eyes and you have steady hands then your set. I would use a test dish atleast once a day if not twice and it works great so you dont have to do bury a pole or drill a lag.

In Ohio, the 129' is "low" compared to the 110' and 119' satellites and here I suspect the trees would be a problem. In GA though, all of the satellites are "higher" up, I believe, and it's possible that it might be pointed at.
The diference on the elevation is 4 degrea's, a dish 500 in the atlanta area is 36 while in central michigan south to about central ohio is 31 / 32.

And you see, that's exactly the problem with this whole scenario. We have NO idea how tall those trees are or what the AZ or EL angles are. No offense to the poster with the pix, but it's awfully difficult, IMO, to determine the EL angle. Not enough of a frame of reference

Build a 300 or 500 it doesnt really matter though if you have a twin meter then the 500 is better. Run out your 6ft lead to your meter from the lnbf(s) on the dish and after turning on your meter you rest the sleeve of the dish adjustment head on your upper thigh if your standing in the yard or sitting on the roof or rest it on a stationary object guestimating that its level or get yourself a corner level and use double sided sticky tape and atach it to the sleeve and you can then better test for the satellites. Remember that the sats are in a staggered pattern and so long as your good with a compas and your eyes and you have steady hands then your set. I would use a test dish atleast once a day if not twice and it works great so you dont have to do bury a pole or drill a lag.

Actually, what I've been doing is using a non-pen roofpad (ya know...one of those thick-ass rubber mounts) with a D500 mast screwed to that.

I then slap that baby on whatever rooftop I need to "test" from; making any adjustments with the elevation bolts to get things all nice and plumb.

I would say looking at those pics that the trees could be in the way. But as others have said it's really hard to see from a picture. Only sure way is to get another tech out to look at it.

After looking at the latest picture, I got to say that those trees are pretty tall and seem to be in the way. Is there any location in the property with better LOS?

Thank you for your unbelievable opinon!!!

NO FREAKING WAY would I have ever or WILL ever do an install like that.

TOO FREAKING UNSAFE!!!

That was a 28 ft ladder fully-extended and it still didn't reach the peak.

I totally agree with the installer for not doing that job.

Wow, so that job is precarious enough for you to do a pass on it? You are not cut out for the biz.

Both of you may very well be missing key visual information about the job such as what the grounds look like around the house itsself wich really really does play a key role in how safe or unsafe it is to get on a ladder. On this house a 28footer should easily reach the gutters with an extra 3 - 5 rungs to go over but where the D dish is at is a diferent story and would require a 40 footer. But again without knowing what the ground looks like then neither of you can say much about how hard or easy the job is.

Yea I looked at the pics and it does look like a bit of a gamble to get the 129 from where his current D dish is at, its possible that a chimney antennae mount kit with a 10ft pole would give consistant service for years to come but it is unsightly and is more subject to wind reaction and Atlanta does get some wind considering that its sitting on a mountain.

Webby are you talking about the four inch thick rubber pads that weigh about 20lbs? Man I would hate to lug that thing up a ladder, it was bad enough having to hoist cinder blocks up onto mall roofs or some super store warehouse roof for super dishes ( usualy 12 blocks ) by hand with a rope so I guess that it wouldnt be to bad but it is still cumbersome.

Webby are you talking about the four inch thick rubber pads that weigh about 20lbs? Man I would hate to lug that thing up a ladder, it was bad enough having to hoist cinder blocks up onto mall roofs or some super store warehouse roof for super dishes ( usualy 12 blocks ) by hand with a rope so I guess that it wouldnt be to bad but it is still cumbersome.

Yes. Hahaha...you're right....they are a backbreaker. I usually will haul up the pad/mast combo in the 1st trip, and then bring up a test dish on the 2nd trip.

Most often you can tell if it's a "go" or "no-go". But when you get paid by the job and you don't like to wonder "what if I could've made that install happen" (must be job stress, but I tend to take those sort of installs home with me and ponder all night). Not to mention DNS is really cracking down on it's own techs and RSPs for the all-mighty completion percentages.

Wow....God Bless ya.....

Heres a picture from the top to the ground.

Attachments

• 111_1187.JPG
    111_1187.JPG
    785.4 KB · Views: 138
Damn! You know what...I'm totally with Van on this. After seeing your last picture, I see no reason why you couldn't get a tripod mounted on your roof.

I was a bit concerned that your rooftop was higher than a standard 24 foot ladder. Judging by your last picture, there should be no reason why a tech couldn't get on your roof and install a tripod'd dish. Even if there's a LOS issue from the current D* location, a tripod will give you a 3 - 5 foot boost

Damn! You know what...I'm totally with Van on this. After seeing your last picture, I see no reason why you couldn't get a tripod mounted on your roof.

I was a bit concerned that your rooftop was higher than a standard 24 foot ladder. Judging by your last picture, there should be no reason why a tech couldn't get on your roof and install a tripod'd dish. Even if there's a LOS issue from the current D* location, a tripod will give you a 3 - 5 foot boost
Fantastic idea!....A tripod would work

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts