Why are the Rsn Hd channels still uplinked and not yet available to subscribers??

mrsat1

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 8, 2005
Seaford, NY
The rsn hd channels have been uplinked since Sep. 06 and not yet made available
to subscribers? Why are they still up there, are there contract talks with fox sports
to make them available or cablevision (MSG, FOX SPORTS NY) for example.

What issues (money i can think of) are holding up these channels? I think cheap
charlie should wonder this is the number 1 main topic about this. This should be a
vital issue come next monday night for the boring chat as well to Eric Stall/VP of
programming.

Someone out there who cares about their investment (HD tv, receiver) should flood the phones lines next monday night and get some sort of answer. And please, no talk of AUTOPAY!

Charlie where the hell is YES NETWORK and why won't you carry it since you jacked up these packages once again. Don't you know NY/NJ & PA. is the number 1
DMA market for sports. What is so different about SNY that dish can't carry YES??
rolou21.:mad:

For info on Yes Network and Dish Network, look for threads dates about 5 years ago......... zzzzz.........

The HD RSNs will be made available when E* and the RSNs jointly agree to it.

For info on Yes Network and Dish Network, look for threads dates about 5 years ago......... zzzzz.........

The HD RSNs will be made available when E* and the RSNs jointly agree to it.

When ALL of the RSN's agree at the same time or individually?
For example if Charlie and FSN-MW agree TODAY, do we have to wait till ALL of the other's agree as well?
Maybe he can turn on the ones that agree NOW, then the others will follow soon after.

SNY=NY Mets

What about Sportsnet New York (SNY)?

I know there is trouble between E* and YES for the New York City area people. This also means 98% of Yankee fans are outta here and you must know it. I doubt any Yankee fans are even looking at this E* forum as they have all vacated to cable or D*.

SNY in SD went up just a few games into the Mets season last year when the channel first started up and I thank you very much for that but..

SNY in HD is not even uplinked.

Mr. Ergan: Please consider this request for SNY in HD.

I know you're looking. Please.

I doubt they are actually uplinked in those spots. If I remember right, last time I saw them they were running at very low bit rates. Almost SD bitrates. I'd imagine it was simply a DishNetwork slate. We always have to take the uplink reports as a grain of salt. The uplink crew could simply put an entry into a table and say, QVCHD, then never map the channel a video or audio stream, or even map it to a mirror of say DiscoveryHD. It would look like QVCHD to us though since it was running at an HD bitrate. We would never know the content since it was encrypted and set to engineering mode.

I'll do some checking when I can get back into my PC with the 8PSK receiver.

I was watching the Red Wings on FSD (SD of course) last nite and the announcers said the game was in HD. Well i cruised around the HD guide and found nothing, but after seeing this post I've done some looking. I can't find where FSD HD is even uplinked on dishchannelchart but did find this from the SD side, http://www.dishchannelchart.com/ Seems some of the local cable companies have it and even direct!! Nice to find this out after upgrading to the 211. Sounds like the only thing to do now is let charlie know about.

Charlie put the kibosh on the RSN's at CEDIA, was it? I honestly don't think we are going to see these..........EVER. When Charlie says the RSN's aren't worth it to make available to customers, I think thats the end of RSN's on Dish. Just search if you want elaboration, as this topic has been discussed TO DEATH.:)

When Charlie says the RSN's aren't worth it to make available to customers, I think thats the end of RSN's on Dish.:)

When Charlie speaks in public like that about certain channels, I take it that he is basically talking to the specific broadcasters. He knew full well what he said would get back to them.

We should all be use to his negotiating ploys by now.

I don't think it was the end of HD RSN's one bit. As soon as D* gets more HD Channels available, Charlie will feel pressure to get those RSN's out. I don't think he feels it right now, since E* offers the most HD.

I think we should really be hoping D* gets more HD soon. It will benefit us in the long run too.

FYI.... I just checked. The RSN's are not showing anything except for a slate. They are running at less than 1 megabit. If I were a betting man.... they will come but not soon enough, otherwise they would have removed the "place holders" they currently have. The RSN's will be in MPEG4 mode with the new encoder type used on Starz, HGTV-HD, etc. They E* uplink crew has everything on their side ready to feed them, but of course the programming and legal department has the uplink crew on hold.

Maybe Dish's involvement with NASCAR's Roush Fenway Racing team can expedite NESN HD availability:

Off the track, the Roush Fenway Racing focus will be to continue to service its world-class sponsorship base which includes such great companies as; DeWalt Power Tools, Diageo (Crown Royal), AAA, Office Depot, Ameriquest Mortgage Company, 3M, Ford Motor Company, Northern Tool + Equipment, Dish Network, Discount Tire and Coca Cola, whose sponsorships Roush supports with public relations, licensing, event marketing and account management services.

http://www.fenwaysportsgroup.com/fsg-properties/rfdeal.html

Hey, a guy can dream, can't he??

You would think that with the MLB season coming up at least one of the two parties involved (E* or RSN's) would want to nail down a contract...oh well.

If they ever do go live I hope they do use the new Mpeg4 encoders as Digiblur mentioned.

That being said, I don't think they'll be going live any time soon.

Maybe Dish is holding back on them to inoculate themselves against a DirecTV 'Extra Innings Exclusive' marketing blitz?

We know that DirecTV is making a ploy to gobble up as much exclusive sports programming as possible; they already have Sunday Ticket, now they'll possibly have Extra Innings as well as the new Big 10 channel.

So if the Extra Innings deal goes through and is announced soon, and it should be as opening day is less than 4 weeks away, then Dish might choose that time to announce the availability of the RSN's in HD. I assume that most of the uplinked RSNs carry their local MLB teams?

This move would essentially blunt DirecTV's message that they are the satellite sports provider. (We all know that DirecTV will still have much more sports programming, and already has some HD RSNs, but all that Dish would hope to achieve is to muddle the picture enough for consumers who are considering satellite.)

Some other possible reasons for the delay:

--as db2 mentioned, it may have something to do with the new MPEG4 encoders. Now that they're apparently working well, Dish might not feel so skittish about using them for the RSN's HD feeds. A related possibility is that if they do put these on MPEG4, do they have enough of the VIP receivers in inventory to handle the increased demand from subs who need to upgrade to get this programming?

However, I have no idea if the channels are uplinked in such a way that they can take advantage of the new encoders.

--Two of the stations that are uplinked are FSN Bay Area and FSN New England (not NESN); Comcast is in the final stages of buying the two of them. And three of the other stations are already Comcast properties. So maybe Comcast isn't playing nice with Dish, which is not exactly unheard of in the TV industry.

These are just my conjectures, feel free to tell me how wrongheaded they are . . .

There certainly can be monetary negotiations involved.

Dish Network does not charge HBO subscribers for the additional HBO-HD channel, and one can thereby assume that HBO makes this available to E* for no additional charge (especially seeing as it costs E* the transponder and uplink space). (Note this is just speculation as I have no way of knowing the actual financial arrangement.)

Perhaps E* wants to get the HD RSNs on the same basis, but the RSNs are asking for additional money...

Perhaps E* wants to get the HD RSNs on the same basis, but the RSNs are asking for additional money...

Yes, it has been mentioned elsewhere that FSN for one wanted extra $ from E* for the HD version of their channels. E* either doesn't want to pay extra for the HD channels, or doesn't want to pay as much as they're asking.

All that being said, Versus channel has stated it will not charge providers extra for the HD version of their channel and we don't have that one on E* yet either. Who knows???

--as db2 mentioned, it may have something to do with the new MPEG4 encoders. Now that they're apparently working well, Dish might not feel so skittish about using them for the RSN's HD feeds. A related possibility is that if they do put these on MPEG4, do they have enough of the VIP receivers in inventory to handle the increased demand from subs who need to upgrade to get this programming?

However, I have no idea if the channels are uplinked in such a way that they can take advantage of the new encoders.

I'm not sure what you are talking about how they are uplinked. They aren't uplinked right now....or are you talking about how they are uplinked to the E* to provide them? They can receive them in MPEG2 mode from the provider then send them back down in MPEG4 mode.

I'm not sure what you are talking about how they are uplinked. They aren't uplinked right now....or are you talking about how they are uplinked to the E* to provide them? They can receive them in MPEG2 mode from the provider then send them back down in MPEG4 mode.

I thought they were uplinked, and just not available?

Shouldn't E* make a deal and begin offering RSN HD now since Directv just announced the MLB Extra Innings deal? At least they would be able to offer the local MLB team's games in HD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)