Washington D.C. Metro area Voomers

wasch_24

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Mar 30, 2004
Nothern Virginia, D.C. Area
brainiac said:
I live in Manassas too, and you guys have me worried about the OTA reception. My installation is scheduled for the 10th of this month.
I'm a few miles SW of Manassas in the Bristow/Gainseville area and the Stealth was only able to bring in CBS and NBC. Voom upgraded my antenna to the Winegaurd PR 8800 and now I get all four networks. Although, the Stealth worked fine for someone else about a quarter mile away in my subdivision. I would reccomend calling Datalink (1-888-316-4679) to check and see who is scheduled to do your install. Request Tod Reinholtz, he does a good job and actually cares about making things work. If they tell you that a guy named William Hinkle is scheduled to do your install insist on rescheduling. This guy is a POS and couldn't care less if the install is done right, if at all. He showed up two hours late for my antenna upgrade install and then said he couldn't get on my roof because he only had a 28' ladder. That is pretty funny because Tod came this weekend and in less then 30 minutes installed my PR 8800 with a 28' ladder.

brainiac

SatelliteGuys Pro
May 2, 2004
Just Outside the Beltway
wasch_24 said:
I'm a few miles SW of Manassas in the Bristow/Gainseville area and the Stealth was only able to bring in CBS and NBC. Voom upgraded my antenna to the Winegaurd PR 8800 and now I get all four networks. Although, the Stealth worked fine for someone else about a quarter mile away in my subdivision. I would reccomend calling Datalink (1-888-316-4679) to check and see who is scheduled to do your install. Request Tod Reinholtz, he does a good job and actually cares about making things work. If they tell you that a guy named William Hinkle is scheduled to do your install insist on rescheduling. This guy is a POS and couldn't care less if the install is done right, if at all. He showed up two hours late for my antenna upgrade install and then said he couldn't get on my roof because he only had a 28' ladder. That is pretty funny because Tod came this weekend and in less then 30 minutes installed my PR 8800 with a 28' ladder.
Thanks for the tip! That reminds me of the first guy DirecTV sent out here 3 years ago when we first moved into our new house. He was afraid to go up to the highest part of the roof. They ended up sending another installer out to position the dish in the right spot.

HD921

SatelliteGuys Family
Feb 2, 2004
Southern Maryland

I was wondering if anyone who lives most southern part of Maryand is able to get OTA through Voom? Does Voom come out and test for OTA signal first?

woodenturkey

May 3, 2004
I live in Fort belvoir and hope that i can get all the OTA channels without any problems, but GRRRR i got screwed today because my instaler bailed out on me and now i dont know when i will get hooked up, I would have much rather install the system myself but they would not let me do it, If it were not for the fact that i get paid no matter what i am doing ( yea Army) i would have been hella PO'ed for missing work

wasch_24

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Mar 30, 2004
woodenturkey said:
...If it were not for the fact that i get paid no matter what i am doing ( yea Army) i would have been hella PO'ed for missing work
Yeah even if that is digging holes in the dirt just to fill em back in again three days later.

woodenturkey

May 3, 2004
well it helps pass the time waiting for a install :(
i am still waiting for a reply from INSTALLS INC to find out when they will be here

jgantert

SatelliteGuys Pro
Apr 7, 2004
Aberdeen, MD
woodenturkey said:
well it helps pass the time waiting for a install :(
i am still waiting for a reply from INSTALLS INC to find out when they will be here

Yeah, I'm still hoping they will show up tomorrow. :confused:

-John

x5andr6

Apr 12, 2004
woodenturkey,
I'm in Lake Ridge and I'm able to get all the locals except UPN. NBC, CBS, ABC, WETA, WB all come in great!

jgantert

SatelliteGuys Pro
Apr 7, 2004
Aberdeen, MD
Got the upgrade to the Winegard 8800, but still NO channels. I'm in Columbia, MD -- about 13 miles from TV hill according to Antennaweb.org

Anyone around get any signals in the Columbia area???

-John

wasch_24

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Mar 30, 2004
jgantert said:
Got the upgrade to the Winegard 8800, but still NO channels. I'm in Columbia, MD -- about 13 miles from TV hill according to Antennaweb.org

Anyone around get any signals in the Columbia area???

-John
Did the installer remove the box outside that was providing the 12 Volts of power to the Stealth. Once my installer removed it everything came in. There may be something going on with your install though because you are three times closer than I.

jgantert

SatelliteGuys Pro
Apr 7, 2004
Aberdeen, MD
The previous installer didn't install the amplifier board into the stealth antenna. So I'm not sure exactly what you are referring to. I still have the box that joins the dish and satellite signals up there (multiplexer, I think).

Called Voom, they gave me to Installs Inc. They said that antenna should work for my area, and that the installer needs to tune it(?). So, he's going to call me(?) and come back and tune it.

Ugh... Nightmare install going on here!

-John

jgantert

SatelliteGuys Pro
Apr 7, 2004
Aberdeen, MD
This is F*cked!

Now, the installer calls me and says they can't come back without authorization from voom...

this sucks

wasch_24

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Mar 30, 2004
jgantert said:
Well I'm out. Uninstall appointment setup. They said that is as good as reception as I am going to get.

-John
Don' give up man. That box outside is what I am talking about. Once my installer removed it and replaced it with a regular splitter everything came in.

ejfiii

Active SatelliteGuys Member
May 5, 2004
Alexandria, VA
Okay guys, my install is two weeks out. First Sat experience. Can't see all the DirecTV birds through the trees. Hoping I can see the Voom bird. Anyway, anyone have OTA before the Voom install? I now get all the DC and Baltimore channels OTA and am very happy. I am assuming that the Voom installer will use my existing antenna (hell, it will be easier for him), so that should not be an issue. Does anyone in the NoVa area see the baltimore stations or even just see them on the guide?

BTW - I am in Alexandria.

Thanks.

E. J.

Ken F

SatelliteGuys Pro
Mar 8, 2004
ej,

You won't be able to see the Baltimore stations in the guide until the next software update, which adds OTA scanning capability. The latest ETA on the new software (delivered by satellite) is mid-May.

Ken F

SatelliteGuys Pro
Mar 8, 2004
jgan,

I am curious, have you tried an indoor set-top antenna like the Silver Sensor? That might be something to try while you wait for the installer to repoint the antenna on your roof.

ejfiii

Active SatelliteGuys Member
May 5, 2004
Alexandria, VA
Thanks Ken. But safe to assume I will be able to tune to them? And safe to assume the installer will use my existing antenna?

E. J.

Ken F

SatelliteGuys Pro
Mar 8, 2004
ejf,

With the new software, yes. The off-air tuner in the VOOM STB offers reception performance that is comparable to the latest STBs from other vendors.

When the installer arrives, just tell him you want to use your existing antenna setup. That's what I did.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)