Washington D.C. Metro area Voomers

brainiac said:
Yeah, he showed me everything that he could think of. I still have version 5.08, so I'll be hoping for the upgrade overnight. I was pleasantly surprised at the reception quality of the OTA channels.
Yeah, I know what you are saying. Voom was my first exposure to Digital OTA. It looks better than my cable does. Just wait for primetime tonight. It's amazing how such a beautiful HD picture can come form an antenna. If your OTA channels say 'no info' in the PG that should change tonight as well.

VOOM Rocks - OTA Install Hell...

Last week I received both an e-mail and phone call from Joe Harkins, Installs Inc., regarding my OTA fiaso. Joe is a good guy who is trying his best to resolve Quality Control issues some of us have experienced.

Bottom Line: Installs Inc. is going to "square-away" my OTA problem after channel scanning (firmware upgrade) is available later this month. Don't hesitate to contact Joe should you too experience problems with your install.

wasch_24 said:
If your OTA channels say 'no info' in the PG that should change tonight as well.

Mine still says that after 3 weeks or so (and 2 reboots). Any idea how to get PG info for Baltimore stations?

Thanks,
-John

jgantert said:
Mine still says that after 3 weeks or so (and 2 reboots). Any idea how to get PG info for Baltimore stations?

Thanks,
-John
Email Sean (Sean_Mota@satelliteguys.us) with your name and address, including your zip code, and he will contact Voom and have them update your STB with the staions for your "area" as defined by Voom. Soon we will be getting an upgrade to the STB's that will allow us to "map" any station that is being picked up by the STB regardless if is coming from the nearest metro area.

I really don't know what I did to get mine. I did the "unplg/plug in" routine and got nothing. Then one day they were all populated.

Will do after I get an antenna that works. :) One thing at a time... heh. I think I need to call and see if my antenna is in yet?

-John

wasch_24 said:
Yeah, I know what you are saying. Voom was my first exposure to Digital OTA. It looks better than my cable does. Just wait for primetime tonight. It's amazing how such a beautiful HD picture can come form an antenna. If your OTA channels say 'no info' in the PG that should change tonight as well.
I had the program guide right away with the install. I did get the software revision last night, though. So far, so good! :D

wasch_24 said:
Send an email to Sean Mota (Sean_Mota@satelliteguys.us) and give him your story and your adress including the zip and he will help to resolve the issue. I did the unplug/replug thing several times with no results and then one day poof! There they were.
I emailed Sean on the 7th. Should I expect an email back from him or does he do his work behind the scenes, so to speak?

I still do not have locals :(

Does the local info come from the sat or the antenna? With my Samsung OTA tuner I got the info from PBS - at least that's how I thought it came through.

joebob2 said:
I emailed Sean on the 7th. Should I expect an email back from him or does he do his work behind the scenes, so to speak?

Does the local info come from the sat or the antenna? With my Samsung OTA tuner I got the info from PBS - at least that's how I thought it came through.
I'm not sure if he sends a response. Look for the OTA mapping threads and see what his directions are. The info is programmed by the satellite using the info provided by Zap2it which isn't always correct. Some, not all, locals send program info along with the OTA signal.

joebob2 said:

Update:
I got an email last week from Peter @ Voom, "seems your OTA map was out of synch with your guide data". Problem solved! Thanks for all the help :)

Is anybody here able to get either UPN or WETA using the Stealth OTA antenna? I live in the Herndon/Reston area. I got ABC, CBS, FOX, and WB but not UPN or WETA.

NoVAHD said:
Is anybody here able to get either UPN or WETA using the Stealth OTA antenna? I live in the Herndon/Reston area. I got ABC, CBS, FOX, and WB but not UPN or WETA.

NoVAHD,

I am in the Fredericksburg/Spotsylvania area and can pull-in WUSA-DT (CBS), WRC-DT (NBC), WJLA-DT (ABC), and WTTG-DT (FOX), reliably 24/7, with my Channel Master 4228...and I am 55+ miles away from the broadcast towers.

I only receive WETA-DT (PBS) in the evening hours due to the fact they broadcast at much lower level than the major networks. Likewise, you will not be able to receive WDCA (UPN) unless you live in the District and/or very close to their station - they have special authorization to broadcast at an extremely low-power level pending construction of their new broadcast tower.

Here some useful info:

WUSA-DT (CBS) - 1000Kw
WRC-DT (NBC) - 813Kw
WJLA-DT (ABC) - 646Kw
WTTG-DT (FOX) - 1000Kw
WBDC (WB) - 125Kw
WETA (PBS) - 75Kw
WDCA (UPN) - 1.172Kw

IMHO the Stealth is worthless in your neck-of-the-woods (just my opinion). You can't be much further than 15-20 miles from any of the towers so I would call Installs Inc./Voom tell them you want a better antenna. There is no reason you shouldn't receive WETA-DT.

I hope this helps,
Riff...<EOT>

I live in Charles Town WV and pick DC 4, 5, 7, 9, 26's, and 50's as well as a few others.
If you don't believe me than fine, but I use a Siver Sensor with a channel master amp placed on the second floor. I live on a Golf course and the electric carts do not interfere. For giggles, I tried the Stealth and picked up 5, 7, and 9 and took it back down.

Wayne

riffjim4069 said:
NoVAHD,

I am in the Fredericksburg/Spotsylvania area and can pull-in WUSA-DT (CBS), WRC-DT (NBC), WJLA-DT (ABC), and WTTG-DT (FOX), reliably 24/7, with my Channel Master 4228...and I am 55+ miles away from the broadcast towers.

I only receive WETA-DT (PBS) in the evening hours due to the fact they broadcast at much lower level than the major networks. Likewise, you will not be able to receive WDCA (UPN) unless you live in the District and/or very close to their station - they have special authorization to broadcast at an extremely low-power level pending construction of their new broadcast tower.

Here some useful info:

WUSA-DT (CBS) - 1000Kw
WRC-DT (NBC) - 813Kw
WJLA-DT (ABC) - 646Kw
WTTG-DT (FOX) - 1000Kw
WBDC (WB) - 125Kw
WETA (PBS) - 75Kw
WDCA (UPN) - 1.172Kw

IMHO the Stealth is worthless in your neck-of-the-woods (just my opinion). You can't be much further than 15-20 miles from any of the towers so I would call Installs Inc./Voom tell them you want a better antenna. There is no reason you shouldn't receive WETA-DT.

I hope this helps,
Riff...<EOT>

Thanks a lot Riff,

Very useful information. I'm not sure if I want to go up to the 4228 because of the size. WETA-DT is a little closer than WBDC from where I am (19 Miles). I guess because it is transmitting at a lower power that's why I'm not getting it. I tried to move the antenna a little yesterday but it didn't help.

NoVAHD,

An 8-bay CM-4228 is probably overkill in your situation. However, have you considered the smaller 4-bay CM-4221?

I am almost certain that Installs Inc. is now installing the Winegard Sensar II, model GS2000A, as the standard upgrade to the Stealth - at least in this area. I don't know much about the antenna, but you can check-out the Winegard website. Personally, it looks a lot like the Stealth. :no

Also, I read in other posts where some folks were getting a Winegard SquareShooter and were quite happy with it.

Good luck & keep us posted,
Riff...<EOT>

Dreedy said:
I live in Charles Town WV and pick DC 4, 5, 7, 9, 26's, and 50's as well as a few others.
If you don't believe me than fine, but I use a Siver Sensor with a channel master amp placed on the second floor. I live on a Golf course and the electric carts do not interfere. For giggles, I tried the Stealth and picked up 5, 7, and 9 and took it back down.

Wayne

Dreedy,

Any luck getting Baltimore locals with your Silver Sensor? I sure wish I didn't live in a sink hole :yikes

Guys, is there anything keeping those with bad OTA reception from climbing on their own roof and putting their own antenna in place of the crappy Voom one? Aiming is the hardest part and I would at least hope that installs Inc would leave the sensor pointed the correct direction. Then just point the better antenna in the same direction and good to go.

I realize that many are not the DIY type, so your mileage may vary. But I do know the good antennas are cheap. And I am lucky that I have a good antenna installed by FX Antenna long before my voom install of this Saturday. So yea, I guess I can see why people don't put their own antennas up most of the time.

You could always pay Fairfax Antenna $275 to install an antenna that will get you every channel available (depending on location obviously) and hook that line into your Voom receiver. I currently get every DC station and Baltimore station. I am dreading the non cutom mapping and losing the baltimore stations on Saturday. Hope that FW gets updated soon.

E. J.

Edit: you can see my antenna on my site here: My HT

riffjim4069 said:
NoVAHD,

An 8-bay CM-4228 is probably overkill in your situation. However, have you considered the smaller 4-bay CM-4221?

I am almost certain that Installs Inc. is now installing the Winegard Sensar II, model GS2000A, as the standard upgrade to the Stealth - at least in this area. I don't know much about the antenna, but you can check-out the Winegard website. Personally, it looks a lot like the Stealth. :no

Also, I read in other posts where some folks were getting a Winegard SquareShooter and were quite happy with it.

Good luck & keep us posted,
Riff...<EOT>

That squareshooter looks very tempting but it's a bit pricey. I might have to give it a looksy. Do you know if it works with the Channel master 3038 pre-amp that comes with the Stealth?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)