Washington Times drops sports section

AntAltMike

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 28, 2005
Effective yesterday. A couple of weeks ago, they dropped their color funnies from the Sunday paper, but that made sense to me because they cost a bundle to print and not only do kids not buy Sunday papers, I doubt they even read print funnies anymore, but I thought sports, especially local sports, was a staple of a big city newspaper. This market is big enough that there are actually regional polls ranking local highschool teams that appear weekly in the newspapers. Where will anyone go for that sort of sports content?

I'd say that Washington, DC is just a few months from becoming yet another one newspaper city.

(Trying very hard not to discuss politics or religion.)

The Times belongs to the Unification Church (AKA the "Moonies" ). It was started in the 1980s after DC became a "one-newspaper town" with the death of the moderate Star, the last remaining competitor to the far-left Post.

It has never been an effort that one can take seriously. While the editorials are very conservative, its news coverage is pretty fair and ballanced. However, people in DC just do not take it seriously. It is just "that Moonie paper" to most people. Further, its just too tiny of an effort, with maybe 1/3rd the pages of the Post on weekdays, and a Sunday effort that has never been much, even before the recent changes. The only people that buy it are people that just cannot stomach the Post's presentation of opinion material as news.

I suspect that the paper, or it printing plant and delivery network, are for sale. However, it is probably on its last legs.

i don't want to get into a discussion of whether it is the Times or the Post (or both) that is slanted but basically the Times has never been a real competitor. there are rumores that the unification Church is tired of the losses but theya re just that rumors. But ironically the sports section is the one section that attracteda lot of Washingtom area folks.

Newspapers will go the way of the Dinosaur. I am shocked many more have not yet died. Its an outdated median.

People who read the news papers are a day behind the news.

Newspapers will go the way of the Dinosaur. I am shocked many more have not yet died. Its an outdated median.

People who read the news papers are a day behind the news.

Given the choice, would you rather settle for a greasy, unhealthy Big-Mac for lunch or would you rather wait until dinner time to feast on a nice Rib-Eye from Morton's Steak House? I think you see where I'm going here....

Some still appreciate reading prose from seasoned professionals rather than dumbed down blogs.

It's a quality vs convenience debate I suppose.

Given the choice, would you rather settle for a greasy, unhealthy Big-Mac for lunch or would you rather wait until dinner time to feast on a nice Rib-Eye from Morton's Steak House? ...

I read my print copy of the Washington Post at my local McDonalds every morning. 960 calories, 1180 mg sodium. Probably the healthiest meal I eat all day.

Given the choice, would you rather settle for a greasy, unhealthy Big-Mac for lunch or would you rather wait until dinner time to feast on a nice Rib-Eye from Morton's Steak House? I think you see where I'm going here....

Some still appreciate reading prose from seasoned professionals rather than dumbed down blogs.

Id rather eat a ribeye I cooked myself at home, while reading the news on the internet. The same stories the paper will be printing. (Ya know from the AP/ etall)

I read my local paper (Orlando Sentinal) online also. The Sentinal would be smart to GREATLY reduce its paper printing and start charging a fee online. Id pay the fee if it was reasonable.

I did not suggest we get rid of Print Media. But that it changes its venue.

I think the point was that the local papers generally did not just use AP reports they had actual sportswriters that attended the games and wrote about it. Sometimes actuially providing analysis along with the box score.

If what was once in the sports section of my paper moves online so be it but generally the blogospere and the national media don't cover it as well. But who knows.

:up:up:up:up Even if papers put the exact same stories on their websites, its not the same. I enjoy sitting at the table drinking coffee and reading the paper......its not the same at a computer desk.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts