Watch your Speed in Illinois Work Zones!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Not open for further replies.

Foxbat

Addicted to new HW
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 25, 2003
Michiana
My wife sent me this link in an e-mail. Looks like Illinois is serious about people who don't slow down to the posted Work Area Speed Limit. The law goes into effect today which aims to protect Illinois construction workers from drivers that ignore the posted Work Area speed limit. The first offense is $375, the second offense is $1,000, plus a 90-day suspension of your drivers license!

So, when you see me driving 45 mph in a construction zone, don't honk your horn and flip me the bird, but smile for the camera! :)

I just got back from the Chicago area, where just about every road has construction going on (and it needs it). On the tollways especially if you were doing 45 they'd shoot you. All the traffic, including semi's were going in the 60/65 MPH range, which is about what they normally go at even when the normal speed limit is 55.

I can see the need for this, there have been a number of construction workers killed by drivers, but they need to clamp down so everyone is forced to do this speed limit. They can't cherry pick who gets a ticket and who doesn't when everyone is ignoring the 45MPH limit.

So now they have 5 camera vans in the whole state verse the 3 previous. Workers have to be present and they also put up a big traffic conditions sign alerting you to the trap that is ahead. You really deserve a ticket if you get nabbed by one of these.

Still doesn't beat Indiana's work zone laws which has been around for a couple years now.

Under the new law, fines are raised for speeding in a work zone to $300 for the first
offense, $500 for the second offense and $1,000 for a third offense in a three-year period.
• Driving recklessly or aggressively in work zones is now a Class A misdemeanor,
punishable by up to one year in prison and up to a $5,000 fine.
• Driving recklessly or aggressively in a work zone now becomes a Class D felony if you
are driving drunk or injure a worker. A Class D felony is punishable by up to three years
in prison and a $10,000 fine.
• Driving recklessly or aggressively in a work zone becomes a class C felony if you kill a
worker, punishable by up to eight years in prison and up to $10,000 in fines.

Crazy that this is what it takes to get people to slow down for the safety of everyone.

The penalties seem appropriate. After all, this is just another form of "assault with a deadly weapon".

I slow down to no more than posted limit + 5 in an active work zone. The problem is that we have many "work zones" with no workers around and that forces everyone including myself into some level of complacency. And having different reduced speeds is both a blessing and a curse. (Some work zones have posted reduced speeds of 60 mph, others as low as 35.) In PA there's usually a sign with a flashing light to designate an active work zone. Does that mean the posted reduced speed limit doesn't apply when the light is not flashing? All too often there's another type of flashing light in the work zone to remind us, however...!

This has about 1% to do with worker protection, about 1% in trying to vote-grab from them, and about 98% about revenue. Amazing how these states change these fines when they need money!!!

This has about 1% to do with worker protection, about 1% in trying to vote-grab from them, and about 98% about revenue. Amazing how these states change these fines when they need money!!!

It is absolutely crazy here. The legislature hasn't passed a budget. Well, actually they passed one with no tax increase that the governer vetoed. The governer is witholding the bailout road construction money until a budget is passed.

Yet the contracts were let out to start construction, and virtually every road here in Rockford has been torn up with a work zone. Once the pavement was yanked, work slowed down. I anticipate that the work will stop now until the budget is passed, but the work zone signs and barricades will stay up through the summer.

Illinois' semi-official motto: Ubi Est Mea. (where's mine)

Either way, you should slow down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)