Watched my first Blu Ray Disk today

hometheaterman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 9, 2004
I bought Gridiron Gang on Blu Ray disk to test out my PS3's blu ray player. I was using a Panasonic AE900U Projector projecting onto 106" screen. Overall it didn't look bad at all. Some scenese were amazing others not so stellar. It looked good but in all honesty it wasn't a huge difference that I could see between that and regular SD DVD's. There might have been a scenes better I'm not sure as I haven't seen this movie on a regular DVD but it had some effects that were impressive but honestly it wasn't too much better than a DVD. If I had gotten the PS3 to just play Blu Ray disks I'd be greatly dissapointed. I wanted it to play games and thought the blu ray player wouldn't be bad. I don't know that I will spend $30 on a disk from now on I'll probably just get regular DVD's still. Also the other thing I don't like is that I can only watch it. None of my friends have blu ray players so none of them can borrow the dvd and watch it. If the prices were a lot cheaper it might be okay but at the current price I don't think it's worth it over regular DVD's that look almost as good.

This is a 720p native projector. According to the specs, it does not support 1080p resolution. That's probably why you didn't see much difference in picture quality.

If you had a different Projector or HDTV it would have looked better.

I've seen the massive size screens with front projectors. I prefer my 61" - it's not dim.

The movie that you watched was not the best choice of BD DVD to test. It is not even full screen format. The movie is very dark in resolution, and it is not even shot in true HD. If you want to test it you need to find a Documentary film which was shot in True HD. Or try a different movie. I have the PS3 and I am watching the movie on a 1080P Sharp 52' LCD. Big difference from your projector. Sometimes size doesn't matter but for quality reasons projectors is not a good choice. If you like the size than it doesn't matter if it's BD or SD DVD.

Big difference from your projector. Sometimes size doesn't matter but for quality reasons projectors is not a good choice. If you like the size than it doesn't matter if it's BD or SD DVD.

This so stereotypically wrong; painting an entire category with a very wide and inaccurate brush. If you have a quality FPTV correctly selected for their particular environment and setup correctly it is HUGELY beautiful and astonishing AND bar far the best HD picture for the money; equal and in many case better. Don't trust you eyes to CHEAP and badly setup FPTV's when attempting to judge the entire group, because it is wrong and unfortunate that too many people shop incorrectly with their wallets as opposed to correctly by quality.

With my Sony Pearl projector on a 123" screen, blu-ray and HD-DVD looks incredible.

And yes, there is a big difference in the image from my old Benq 720p projector to my new one. I wasn't overly impressed when I first poped in a BD disc as well.

If you're not watching it on a 1080p device, then you are not getting all that BD and HD-DVD have to offer.

I should amend my previous post. The large screen FP I saw was no doubt NOT representative of what is currently available.

I will admit I need to get a 1080p projector to get the full experience. My thoughts though are to wait until they come down in price to about what I got this projector for. It looks absolutely amazing on most stuff and isn't dim at all in my room as it's pretty dark. I watched Rocky Balboa tonight on regular dvd and realized there is a differnce. Seems like on the BD there seems to be slightly less pixelation around the people and what not. It isn't bad on DVD's but if they move fast or something you can sometimes see it a little. It also seemed to be better in effects like dust flying up and stuff like that but honestly it was only slightly better. To me not worth the extra money they cost plus the ability to not be able to watch it at friends houses that don't have blu ray players. There is a differnce between BD and a sd DVD on my setup but honestly not enough for me to give up the ability to watch it at others houses and not enough to warrent the cost to me. Now it does look good but so do regular DVD's. The regular DVD's look pretty amazing still.

This so stereotypically wrong; painting an entire category with a very wide and inaccurate brush. If you have a quality FPTV correctly selected for their particular environment and setup correctly it is HUGELY beautiful and astonishing AND bar far the best HD picture for the money; equal and in many case better. Don't trust you eyes to CHEAP and badly setup FPTV's when attempting to judge the entire group, because it is wrong and unfortunate that too many people shop incorrectly with their wallets as opposed to correctly by quality.

Let me second this, I didn't go back to see who posted what but....it's unbelievable that someone would post berating the op's equipment because they looked it up and saw it has "only a 720p rating. Shame on you. Most people that have any type of HD set up have 720p and 1080i AT THIS TIME , because of price and the fact that nothing is broadcast in 1080p. I have both, my PannyAE900U and my new Sharp 50' that is 1080P. Yup I got it mainly for my PS3,dont want the kids gaming to abuse the bulb, and to watch things that we don't watch on the projector. But back to point, some BD's look better than others, and each step up is seeable but not the end of the world difference. My family will still watch any major BD movie on the projector, we prefer it. You have a great projector man, enjoy it! For many the differences are there but not breathtaking, mainly because of all the hype that they have heard about BD and HDDVD.

Let me second this, I didn't go back to see who posted what but....it's unbelievable that someone would post berating the op's equipment because they looked it up and saw it has "only a 720p rating.

Agreed. People are "stuck" on the 1080p thing (which I now have). I had a Sim2 C3X. It is a 720P three chip DLP. It is arguably one of the best projectors on the matket and produced a much nicer picture than these newer less expensive 1080p projectors now on the market. It's not always about how much resolution, but more improtantly how it handles the resolution.

S~

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)