Watching external HD programs

2speedy1

Original poster
Oct 6, 2012
IA
Im a new member here, but have been reading here fo years. I have a question I hope someone can answer that I cant find he answer to. I have made the switch to Directv after more than 10 years with Dish Network. My queston is have a External HD full of programs that I would like to be able to watch, I know that it is encrypted and I know that only a Dish Net receiver can watch them, Im not trying to get around that. So I dont want to violate any rules or laws here about a program to decrypt it.

What I want to know Is if I buy a used 211k or similar and plug the HD into it without having an account activated would I be able to view the programs.
My receiver is leased and has to go back, I have used the same HD thru several and it has alway worked for all of them.
I have an old reciever from years ago that is not active but can still watch he DVR content if I want to.
Any knowledge on this would be a great help, thanks

Hi, I am sorry but you would have to have a receiver active on the same account as the original receiver to be able to access the recording on the EHD. Once an account has been disconnected the recording cannot be accessed again. Just in case, if you had a DVR receiver and now have a 211 they are not compatible with the same EHD and would no work under any circumstances.

Are you sure, I still can watch programs on an old dish pvr that hasnt been active for years. I also have used the same external hd for a 722, 722k and 922 they all read and recognized it fine, and had no problems.

The ehd is keyed to the account. Once the account is cancelled, the ehd is toast. Even if you activated a new account, your old recordings are lost.
You should have done your homework before you canceled the account.

I havent cancelled yet, I have done my homework, just trying to see if there is any way to still use all my old recordings. Dish network customer for over 10 years. They have jerked me around for the last time. Directv hooked up today, and will be cancelling account with Dish tomorrow, just one last check to see if there is anyway to get my recordings before I do.
Quite frankly anything from a Dish representative I take with a grain of salt because 99% of what they say is lies, missinformation, or just BS because they dont know what they are talking about so they just wing it. Ive found most of what the customer service there says is wrong and usually takes several calls to get the right answer or something changed because the first couple screw it up. I would love to still be able to see all the recordings I have saved over the years but if I lose them I guess I do. But thought maybe someone on here had the knowledge to tell me, And I guess they did, and thanks for that, but the sarcasm about doing my homework is not needed. You dont know me and you dont know my situation, because I havent asked a question on here before doesnt mean I havent researched.

What receiver did you use to record the programs? If your account is still active, you need to connect the receiver to a Dish dish and ger the cheapest package you can get.

well some were recorded with 722, 722k, and 922. all have been read by 922 without problem, but i am going to disconnect soon, just wondered if there is any way to continue to watch them once the account is shut off, as in if I buy my own reciever without an active account. But it doesnt sound like that is an option so I guess, just another shafting by Dish Network. Funny thing I used to brag them up and got a lot of people to go with them instead of Directv, well not anymore, will be doing the opposite from now on.

As I said, if you want to be able to watch your ehd, you need to stay subscribed to Dish. Just find the cheapest package. Once you watched everything, then cancel. I think there is a package that is around $15/mo. Dish isn't shafting you. They provide a service and to get that service you need to subscribe and pay. You made the choice to switch. So you did it to yourself.

yes dfergie I do know that, I have read though at some point they hope it will allow usb external hd but, I did learn that you have one or the other, but you can switch back and forth, by unhooking the EHD. I also know you can add multiple dvrs to expand tuners and hd space.

I will say this I am watching a recording right now on the 922 and it is no longer hooked up to anything, no sat, no internet, no phone. the account is still active but the dish is unhooked, and the DVR still works. But of course dont know if this will change once the account is turned off.

As I said, if you want to be able to watch your ehd, you need to stay subscribed to Dish. Just find the cheapest package. Once you watched everything, then cancel. I think there is a package that is around $15/mo. Dish isn't shafting you. They provide a service and to get that service you need to subscribe and pay. You made the choice to switch. So you did it to yourself.

Yes, Dish IS shafting him. Home recording has been legal for decades, therefore there's no reason whatsoever for the EHDs (and the internal HDs too) to be encrypted. If, for some reason, the program providers "required" Dish to do this, then the program providers are in the wrong too, and Dish should've used their corporate legal resources to set them straight, NOT passed the problem on to the consumers!

Yes, Dish IS shafting him. Home recording has been legal for decades, therefore there's no reason whatsoever for the EHDs (and the internal HDs too) to be encrypted. If, for some reason, the program providers "required" Dish to do this, then the program providers are in the wrong too, and Dish should've used their corporate legal resources to set them straight, NOT passed the problem on to the consumers!

:rolleyes:

The object is to make money by providing a service. It isn't to provide a free service. Dish is not required to have a DVR or have a means to record, let alone an EHD. You can record those programs to your own device independant of dish equipment, and watch anytime you would like to. The EHD is an extention of using the Dish equipment. If you want to use the services of Dish, go figure, they would like you to be a customer.

Last edited:
What about people who buy their DVRs? They shouldn't have to continue to subscribe to continue to use them. (Not to mention that the idea of paying in perpetuity for something with a finite value is absurd for those who don't buy them.)

Jim S. said:
What about people who buy their DVRs? They shouldn't have to continue to subscribe to continue to use them. (Not to mention that the idea of paying in perpetuity for something with a finite value is absurd for those who don't buy them.)

Tivo is the same. You cant use the tv tuner with out subscribing. The old voom boxs as well depending on now they were taken out of the stream the ota tuner may or may not work. Yes it may seem absurd to the end user, but as was said this is a service that we are paying for. You can always record to a dvr if you want forever recordings.
For me personally its not a big deal. When vcrs first came out we had 100's of home brewed tapes that we watched once or twice. I now have a pile of dvds that go unwatched. So again for me its not a big deal....but i know it is for others

Ross

Sent from my rooted DROID RAZR Maxx using SatelliteGuys

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts