watching FTA on the "real" end

Status
Please reply by conversation.

i4tas

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 10, 2005
Northern USA
I am in Douglas, WY (50 miles outside Casper). The Holiday Inn has the local Douglas cable system.

The local channels on cable include:
KTWO, KCWY, KFNB, KGWC, KWYF --->Casper
KCNC, KRMA, KMGH, KTVD, KUSA, KWGN ---> Denver

I can tell for sure that KTWO is from the G10 feed. Slight storms in the area stopped signal and MPEG errors came up on the screen. That transponder has problems even for the so called "intended" audience.

KCWY looks just the same as it does on c-band --> very clear.

The UPN (KWYF) is a low power station from Casper, not crystal clear (I doubt ota is used for this channel)

The fox and cbs station are probably OTA, not crystal clear.

Denver is all satellite feed and looks great.

Different to be on the intended end. By the way can any cable company just take the G10 feed and re breadcast it, do they pay for it, or just get permission?

i4tas said:
I am in Douglas, WY (50 miles outside Casper). The Holiday Inn has the local Douglas cable system.

The local channels on cable include:
KTWO, KCWY, KFNB, KGWC, KWYF --->Casper
KCNC, KRMA, KMGH, KTVD, KUSA, KWGN ---> Denver

I can tell for sure that KTWO is from the G10 feed. Slight storms in the area stopped signal and MPEG errors came up on the screen. That transponder has problems even for the so called "intended" audience.

KCWY looks just the same as it does on c-band --> very clear.

The UPN (KWYF) is a low power station from Casper, not crystal clear (I doubt ota is used for this channel)

The fox and cbs station are probably OTA, not crystal clear.

Denver is all satellite feed and looks great.

Different to be on the intended end. By the way can any cable company just take the G10 feed and re breadcast it, do they pay for it, or just get permission?

some cable operators may, those that would be in the DMA of these feeds for sure, those outside would probably be down to if there is another affiliate in the same DMA. Contracts and fees may apply in using the feed, that would be up to the one paying for the transport, in this case Equity. I would not just uplink one and somewhere down the line something changes without notice. Being an affiliate with Equity would mean updates to any changes and maybe even other equipment being sent out if any changes are made in the delivery method.

I've noticed lately that my cable might be changing things from analog to digital...it's an odd thing....

For a week channels were put in the wrong places...ended up getting ones we weren't supposed to get and lost ones we did get....but once I had I think UWTV on and someone must have pressed the wrong button because I'm not even on the west coast!

This also leads me to believe that anything on satellite a cable co could try to do but the bandwith alone and if they tried a la cart on it would drive some nuts.....sort of why I can't see fta on anything other than satellite (well there's OTA tv and a dx'ing portion of that but still)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)