Watching recordings after closing acount

glynnp

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 16, 2017
Texas
In a few weeks we will close our Hopper 3 account for an unknown period while relocating. If I disconnect
the coax and do a power reset the recordings will still play but for how long. In the past, opinions have
been all over the map. I will be disconnecting receiver before DISH sends down the killshot.

Anybody have any recent info on how long it will keep working.

I had one that kept working for over a year before i reactivated it. I would connect it up to the sat signal a few minutes here and there and it worked fine.

In a few weeks we will close our Hopper 3 account for an unknown period while relocating. If I disconnect
the coax and do a power reset the recordings will still play but for how long. In the past, opinions have
been all over the map. I will be disconnecting receiver before DISH sends down the killshot.

Anybody have any recent info on how long it will keep working.

Do you own or lease the Hopper?

You will have to put your account on pause. I see no other way to do this. If you have an EHD, it is even more important to maintain your current account or those will be lost and gone forever even if you sub again.

Well then if you close your account you will have to return the Hopper and any chance of watching the recordings when not on an account are not even an option.
Please correct me if I am missing something.
What you are missing is I have 30 days to return the Hopper or face a $300 penalty which is in effect buying
the Hopper. I am hoping to view the few recordings I have on the DVR during that 30 days period. I wasn't asking for advice on how to handle my account, I was asking does anybody know how long the Hopper will keep working.

Time will tell...

You will have to put your account on pause. I see no other way to do this. If you have an EHD, it is even more important to maintain your current account or those will be lost and gone forever even if you sub again.
There isn't a boatload of stuff on the EHD i would want to keep forever.

Reactions: TheKrell
Ok. We’ve been down this road before.

The time varies. If you disconnect from the satellite, it can’t receive a kill command. But there is a timer that will shut it all down if it doesn’t hear from home within a set period of time. That probably depends upon when that timer was last reset, and that will vary account to account.

Some lose access almost immediately. Others seem to never lose access.

Here’s the dice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok. We’ve been down this road before.

The time varies. If you disconnect from the satellite, it can’t receive a kill command. But there is a timer that will shut it all down if it doesn’t hear from home within a set period of time. That probably depends upon when that timer was last reset, and that will vary account to account.

Some lose access almost immediately. Others seem to never lose access.

Here’s the dice.

If it lasts 29 days I roll the dice on whether to buy the Hopper or not. ;)

I would pause for a short time but it might be a year on more. I might not be alive then...

If it lasts 29 days I roll the dice on whether to buy the Hopper or not. ;)

It is not obvious to me that Dish will ever give you the Hopper if you don't return it within 30 days. Yeah, you get charged $300, but that does not mean Dish will call your Hopper "owned". Have you checked with them about that distinction?

If you are going to take a long time before reactivating, then an account pause will not work for you either.
I would pause for a short time but it might be a year on more. I might not be alive then...

If you are going to drop dead in a year's time, then you have bigger things to think about than your Hopper recordings!

Given that time frame, my new/improved recommendation is to play back and record your most cherished recordings in real time. Then you can close your account and send the Hopper back and be done with it. No waste of $300 either.

Just curious; what programs are so critical on the Hopper that you would be willing to spend $300 to save them?

Reactions: JSheridan
You could “own” that Hopper but that does not mean you would be able to watch recordings. They will “expire” anyway.

Reactions: TheKrell
What you are missing is I have 30 days to return the Hopper or face a $300 penalty which is in effect buying
the Hopper. I am hoping to view the few recordings I have on the DVR during that 30 days period. I wasn't asking for advice on how to handle my account, I was asking does anybody know how long the Hopper will keep working.

Time will tell...
Stop being an #@$@# Your OP stated that you were going to be without an account for a number of months. Nowhere did it say you were looking to watch for less than 30 days. It could be very likely that you were not aware of the return time frame. Sorry to try and help.

and even if you paid for it DISH may not activate it again because they didn’t receive it in the normal fashion.
A year from now when there is a shortage of Hopper 3 because they all got gobbled up by all
those DTV subs coming over to DISH it will be like gold bullion. :biggrin

Do you really believe DISH would deny activating ?

So far one person has attempted to answer my question on how long will the Hopper 3 play after deactivation.

Everyone else seems to be worried about my $300 when the receiver doesn't even get deactivated
until Oct 31.

If it keeps playing for 29 days after that I will make a decision on making that bet that it will play forever.

Stop being an #@$@# Your OP stated that you were going to be without an account for a number of months. Nowhere did it say you were looking to watch for less than 30 days. It could be very likely that you were not aware of the return time frame. Sorry to try and help.
My OP was asking if anybody knew how long the receiver would play after deactivating.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)