water in LNB a problem!

JimW396

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 8, 2003
water in LNB a problem?

Hi Guys!

My 721 started acting strange 2 days ago; not loading all the text on the menu screen, freezing on start up, difficulty restarting. I checked the LNB after it stopped raining yesterday and found the plastic covering broken and water was inside the LNB cone.

I cannot restart the 721. It gets to the "Acquiring data from satellite" screen and goes no further. I've pulled the card, unplugged the unit, forced restart, etc. with no luck. My signal strength a day or 2 before this started was 86.

Do you think it is the receiver gone bad or the water in the LNB.
Thanks for any and all help.
Best Wishes,
Jim

I have had a few LNB with water inside over the years, I take them indoors for a few days dry them out and they are as good as new, if its cracked silicon may seal it and you will get a few more years out of it.

JimW396 said:
Hi Guys!

My 721 started acting strange 2 days ago; not loading all the text on the menu screen, freezing on start up, difficulty restarting. I checked the LNB after it stopped raining yesterday and found the plastic covering broken and water was inside the LNB cone.

I cannot restart the 721. It gets to the "Acquiring data from satellite" screen and goes no further. I've pulled the card, unplugged the unit, forced restart, etc. with no luck. My signal strength a day or 2 before this started was 86.

Do you think it is the receiver gone bad or the water in the LNB.
Thanks for any and all help.
Best Wishes,
Jim

"not loading all the text on the menu screen", "freezing up"... all that sounds like a receiver problem, not a signal problem....

but now you have it at the "acquiring satellite" screen, so hmmm, can you get it to pull up the menu now?? if not i'd say it's a reciever gone bad, without a signal you should still be able to navigate through the menu to get to the signal strength screen.

Thank you guys. I put a new LNB on and it started up and runs like a champ.
I guess water in the LNB is a bad thing, huh? :)

721's are known to act really weird if they are having trouble acquiring signal, a faulty LNB, switch or cables will cause many things that look on the surface like software issues. I suppose technically they ARE software issues, as in the software sometimes doesn't properly handle bad signal conditions caused by faulty hardware outside the box.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)