Wave Frontier Toroidal T-90 Satellite Dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.
INstalled a dish for 119. Since the T90 gave me blech results being almost 30 degrees off centre, I put up a small 18" dish for 119. I thought I could put it in front of the T90 on the table, but that didn't work.

I made a stubby mast by sawing right below the elbow on the mast. Put it at 90 degrees and slapped the dish on...boom 100+ on all TP's

Also ran 13 cables :eek: from LNB's to 2 different setups
-2 4x1 diseqc switches for 72, 74, 79, 85, 89, 93, 97, 103. Those 2 outputs into a 22k switch
-second setup has LNB's from 74, 79, 89, 93, 103 into a 4x1 diseqc (2 lines go to a 22k switch then to the switch)

Also cleaned up the cabling and mounted the switches underneath the table (for rain protection).

Once I get my Diseqc switches from PSB (the ones that have all connections on same side, that will make it MUCH easier

Attachments

• IM000935k.JPG
    IM000935k.JPG
    53.7 KB · Views: 984
  • IM000936i.JPG
    IM000936i.JPG
    52 KB · Views: 589
  • IM000937h.JPG
    IM000937h.JPG
    51.4 KB · Views: 458
  • IM000938f.JPG
    IM000938f.JPG
    29.1 KB · Views: 541
  • IM000939b.JPG
    IM000939b.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 531
  • IM000940b.JPG
    IM000940b.JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 500
  • IM000941b.JPG
    IM000941b.JPG
    49.4 KB · Views: 452
  • IM000942b.JPG
    IM000942b.JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 452
  • IM000943b.JPG
    IM000943b.JPG
    45.3 KB · Views: 498
It is a nice dish if you want it for a few satellites or want instant channel change. The big drawback is 3 degree spacing (although I have been able to get 2 degrees on the ends of the arc) so when you select the satellites, you have to take that into consideration

74 & 89 were a given (feeds)
107 & 110 for SC & Dish (I tried 119 too but had to use a separate dish for good signals)
103 due to the “screwy” skew

So my options left were 79, 83, 85, 93, 95, 97, 99

So I added 79, 85, 93, 97. I can get 72 really good by twisting the LNB holder to fit behind the 74 LNB holder and sliding it farther away. I’m still trying to get 101/103 but its tougher right now. I tried 87/89 but that didn’t work at all :(

It is heavy so you have to think where you want it. I'm so glad I didnt roof mount it. I'd be up there constantly :)

Hey Iceburg

Got an idea last night about getting 2 degree spacing on the T90.

How about if we just use one lnb holder and tie rap the second lnb to the first?

In the past I tried 2 degree spacing by cutting down the lnb holders, so they fit closer together, but it was still not 2 degrees, more like 2.5 degrees.

I will try tie raps later today.

I tried it and the 2 degree spacing really works at the ends of the arc

between 89/93/97 there is no room to fit any LNB in there unless it had a pencil type LNB (instead of the eye)...but I can get83/85 no problems (my centre LNB is 93) and I could get 101/103 if I tried enough.

Hello Iceberg

Great review

I'm happy that you did that. I have been using a T-90 for some times now and I have been impressed by the dish.

It is stable, heavy but I found it easy to align once you get the twist.

By the way if you want someday to put more than 8 lnbs on your receiver it is possible (this is what I did) using a 8 port diseqc switch and 22khz switches, you can go to 16.

Again I'm very impressed by your review, you are very dedicated to this hobby. It should help people believe that it is a great dish.

I did some tests with regular multi lnb dishes and the T-90 and the T-90 is a clear winner.

Too bad about the 3 degree spacing you have to leave, otherwise you could get 2 and cover the entire arc.

Best regards

Labgate

Iceberg said:
I tried it and the 2 degree spacing really works at the ends of the arc

between 89/93/97 there is no room to fit any LNB in there unless it had a pencil type LNB (instead of the eye)...but I can get83/85 no problems (my centre LNB is 93) and I could get 101/103 if I tried enough.

Took some measurement of the LNB spacing on the T90 and the spacing is 1.05 to 1.1 inches per degree (may vary by location). Or 2.1 to 2.2 inches for each 2 degree separation of satellites.

But all my LNB's are 2.5 inches wide, and with the holder, you can't even get 2.5 degree spacing.

Cut down 6 LNB's, so that they are 2.0 inches wide, after the paint and sealant dries, I hope to be able to get 2 degree spacing on the T90 without any problems (As long as I use one holder for every two LNBs).

Will post the results.

Awesome review. Looks like a really cool dish! Bet it's a bit pricey though when compared to an htoh motor since you have to get new lnbs and stuff.

Hello Jerry

Please post pictures when you are done.

I think I will follow in your footsteps.

Labgate

Labgate said:
It is stable, heavy but I found it easy to align once you get the twist.
you're right. It is heavy. But once I got the skew set the rest is pretty easy

Again I'm very impressed by your review, you are very dedicated to this hobby. It should help people believe that it is a great dish.
It is a great dish. I had my doubts before a couple weeks ago but this is a nice dish. Allowed me to remove some dishes from the roof :)

I did some tests with regular multi lnb dishes and the T-90 and the T-90 is a clear winner.
Agreed 150% I use to do the 2 LNB's on one dish and this gives you the same quality as multiple dishes

Too bad about the 3 degree spacing you have to leave, otherwise you could get 2 and cover the entire arc.
Actually I could cover the arc with 2

72, 74, 79, 83, 85, 89, 93, 97, 103, 107, 110
87, 91, 95, 101, 113, 116.8, 119, 123, 127, 129 (I think I could do 127/129 if I wanted :)

jerryt said:
Took some measurement of the LNB spacing on the T90 and the spacing is 1.05 to 1.1 inches per degree (may vary by location). Or 2.1 to 2.2 inches for each 2 degree separation of satellites.

But all my LNB's are 2.5 inches wide, and with the holder, you can't even get 2.5 degree spacing.

Cut down 6 LNB's, so that they are 2.0 inches wide, after the paint and sealant dries, I hope to be able to get 2 degree spacing on the T90 without any problems (As long as I use one holder for every two LNBs).

Will post the results.

I'd love to see the results Jerry. I know I can get 72/74 & 83/85 in my setup. Havent done 101/103 yet

I'd really like to see how you shaved the LNB to get it smaller

Last edited:
mastermesh said:
Awesome review. Looks like a really cool dish! Bet it's a bit pricey though when compared to an htoh motor since you have to get new lnbs and stuff.

you dont need new LNB's...just extras which I had already. I only needed 3 duals and the special ones for a Dish subscription. But it can get spendy

In the original post I listed the reasons to get one and who shouldn't

Reasons you might want to get a T-90
-you have multiple subscriptions and want them all on one dish
-you have multiple receivers and want to see a few satellites
-you want to condense your dish farm
-you want instant channel changing from a couple satellites

Reasons the T-90 may not be for you
-you want to see satellites 2 degrees apart
-you have LOS issues
-you want to see it all (the T-90 has a 40 degree arc whereas a motorized can see more)
-you have issues aiming a fixed dish

The main reason I got it was to condense my SC, Dish sub and G10 into one dish. If thats all I got I would be happy. But now with 10 LNB's on one dish I can switch to a few satellites and it doesn't look bad :)

Last Saturday I was able to flip between 4 or 5 college games on 4 different satellites with no issues :)

Does Blind Scan take longer since you have lnbs on so many birds? I wouldn't think so since you have to pick a port number in the Diseqc???

Iceberg said:
I'd really like to see how you shaved the LNB to get it smaller

First attempt at getting 2 degree spacing was to cut down the LNB holders (over a year ago). Simply sanded the sides down about 1/8 inch on both sides, but that did not work (2.5 to 3 degrees at best).

Lastest attempt at 2 degree spacing is much more scientific (I measured the spacing this time!!). This attempt is by narrowing the LNB's themself and using unmodified holders.

It is very exciting if we can get 2 degree spacing. The value of the T90 will be greatly increased if it can cover each satellite in the arc, instead of every other.

Will try to install three or four of the cut down LNBs tommorrow, and if everything works, post pictures.

@Iceburg - Is AMC1 (103) skewed counterclockwise or clockwise when looking from the back of the LNB? Also how much skew?

These cut down LNBs are not going to work with a skewed LNB at 103, so some other plan or idea will be need with AMC1.

The nice advantage of the T90 dish is the following:

• Large enough to cover most KU band satellites over NA
  • Instant channel switching between satellites
  • Less dishes to clutter your yard
  • Ideal for multi-room multi-satellite viewing.

mastermesh said:
Does Blind Scan take longer since you have lnbs on so many birds? I wouldn't think so since you have to pick a port number in the Diseqc???
blind scan is the same. The only difference is channel changing between satellites and I dont have to wait for the motor to finish moving

First attempt at getting 2 degree spacing was to cut down the LNB holders (over a year ago). Simply sanded the sides down about 1/8 inch on both sides, but that did not work (2.5 to 3 degrees at best).

Lastest attempt at 2 degree spacing is much more scientific (I measured the spacing this time!!). This attempt is by narrowing the LNB's themself and using unmodified holders.

It is very exciting if we can get 2 degree spacing. The value of the T90 will be greatly increased if it can cover each satellite in the arc, instead of every other.

Will try to install three or four of the cut down LNBs tommorrow, and if everything works, post pictures.
Cool. Thanks for the update!

@Iceburg - Is AMC1 (103) skewed counterclockwise or clockwise when looking from the back of the LNB? Also how much skew?
Skew is about 25 degrees opposite of what it should be. It depends on location. In MN, 93 is our true south. So from standing behind the dish the LNB should go to the left (coax sticking towards 7:00) but I twisted it 25 degrees opposite so its towards the right (like at 4:30). If you’re on the west coast, your LNB will look different.
These cut down LNBs are not going to work with a skewed LNB at 103, so some other plan or idea will be need with AMC1.
I was able to do 101/103 before. Trying to duplicate it tonight now that I have more holders.

Status
Please reply by conversation.