WD 1.5 TB HDD- Not Recognized by Win7 after....

ggw2000

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 20, 2004
Out here somewhere
I have a WD "my book essential" that I had hooked to a vip622. I am not using it with the 622 now and want to use it as a backup drive on my win7 pc.
When I hook it to the computer it said that it installed the drivers. But the drive is not visible in "my computer" or "windows explorer"? I was hoping to
reformat it back to NTFS. If I go into manage I can see it there and it appears to have been broken down into like 3 or 4 partitions. Is there a way I can
recoup this drive back to PC usage?
Thanks for any help, Gerry

Because the drive is formatted with a "foreign" filesystem, Windows cannot reformat it. Modern versions of Windows probably can't even reformat a FAT32 partition with the format command or from the pop-up menu.

You need to delete the existing partitions and create new ones. If you can't delete the partitions as dfergie suggests, there are a number of third party programs that will pick up where Windows fails miserably.

In a similar vein I have a question. How does one format a HDD for use in windows if it has been the main HDD in a 622. I changed out one in a 622 to one on the mod list for a 722. It will not spin up for me to see the partitions on it. It is looking for the spin up cmd from the 622.

In a similar vein I have a question. How does one format a HDD for use in windows if it has been the main HDD in a 622. I changed out one in a 622 to one on the mod list for a 722. It will not spin up for me to see the partitions on it. It is looking for the spin up cmd from the 622.

Thats an interesting question.I just assumed one could use windows disc management and reformat.I have heard about acronis but never used it.Was thinking about using the 40gb out of the recently retired 501 for some pictures and such.

Thanks for suggestions to date. I will try the one from dfergie tonight. gerry

Success!! I found a procedure using the Computer Management/Disk Management option to delete all partitions and get it formatted. Thanks for leading me in the right direction.
Gerry

I have a question along these lines. Ihave a hard drive from a now deceased 722. What kind ofcase should I get to use as an external inky current 722k

I have a question along these lines. Ihave a hard drive from a now deceased 722. What kind ofcase should I get to use as an external inky current 722k

You can probably buy a 500GB or 1TB drive (WD my book) for the price of an enclosure with correct interface for the drive. Gerry

Do consider that a drive taken out of a dvr has seen a lot of use. When, without shopping for a deal, you can buy a name brand 1TB external drive for under 100 bucks, it's just false economy putting the old drive in an external enclosure. It's sort of like buying a high mileage used car and giving it an Earl Scheib paint job, it might be a great deal but there's a serious potential for problems.

Do consider that a drive taken out of a dvr has seen a lot of use. When, without shopping for a deal, you can buy a name brand 1TB external drive for under 100 bucks, it's just false economy putting the old drive in an external enclosure. It's sort of like buying a high mileage used car and giving it an Earl Scheib paint job, it might be a great deal but there's a serious potential for problems.

I agree but,I have had just about as good luck with used and refurbished hdds as new ones.The only difference being the warranty but,a warranty doesn't save your archives it just gets you a replacement.

Are the VIP hdds sata or ide?I would guess sata.Either way check out newegg.com for hdd enclosures they have some good deals.some with fans some w/out.I got a cheap rosewill ide 3.5" for my daughter last Christmas think it was like $23 shipped,it's still doing great.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)