We are flooding

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Not open for further replies.

Van

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Jul 8, 2004
Virginia Beach
Well Ida's lingering remnants and a nor easter are sitting over us right now and after sleeping for 4 hours I wake to flooding. The canal in the back yard has crested the retaining wall by about 4 inches while the storm drains along the street have ceased functioning and there is about 2 inches of water along the edges, I estimate that the house is sitting about 10 to 12 inches above rising waters as we speak so we may be evacuating in 5 - 8 hours if this rain and wind continues and the nor easter stays where it is.

4 - 7 pm today will be the time of telling, tide will be cresting at 7.1 feet, right now its cresting at 6.1 ft. Watching one of the local tv stations WAVY.com | News, Weather and Traffic for Hampton Roads, Virginia and North Carolina there are a great deal of school and business closings including Langely AFB which is on a skeleton crew now. What I'm seeing on the news right now is that this is bad from NC coast northward along the coast but I don't know how far right now.

Good luck Van. Don't wait too long to leave.

flooding here too but this is no hurricane Floyd. Water was 10 feet from my front door during floyd.

Ok latest for my immediate area.

My street is within 8 inches of being flooded out completely so we are getting things ready to go. Surrounding streets are slight to completely flooded with some of them 3 - 4 foot at exchanges. Canals including the one behind us are 3 foot above normal and there are currently four ducks feeding in the water 4 foot from our bedroom window. Immediate regional area all schools are closed, many businesses are closed including some military installations.

This is now being called the worst flooding since Isabelle, winds and rain have gotten worse with winds ranging from 20 - 60 mph inland to just off shore.

Winds took out the shed which took out the dish to a point, lost hd channels across the board. Waded out into the back yard to get some of the shed up off the dish and to get it secured, gave up on the securing and cleared it away from the dish. Water has come down a bit on the street but we are two hours away from the start of second high tide which will be telling in itself.

Moved the van over to the pep boys parking lot and passing one of the canals here spotted a dumpster floating in the canal.

Having good thoughts for you and yours, Van. Good ones as well for everyone else in trouble.

Update:

Water rose to the entrance to our garage and to the walk way to enter our house at 8:30pm. We lost cable and internet and my D set kept going out because of 50 - 70mph wind gusts. My father being stubborn was one concern and our neighbor Nina another so while I checked on her and fought with my father to get him ready and focused the rain had stopped and I made a decision to wait a little bit before leaving to see if the water would rise more. By 11:30 pm and being so tired that I had dozed off and waking up I checked the water level behind the house and it had dropped about half an inch, checking out front it had receded from back as well but found that we have suffered some seepage into the short sunken living room so I have a new project coming up involving drylock masonry paint in the future.

Right now the water is down about 3 more inches maybe 4 but an inch is important and right now tide is coming in and the rain has started back up but the wind has died down a great deal from what it was with gusts only up to 15 - 20 mph. So we have some things to consider about staying where we live at now and will talk with my father about possibly selling his house ( well his and mine since my name is supposed to be on the title ) and find something on somewhat higher ground. As it is I'll be trading in the mini van next spring and buying a used pickup that I can lift about 6 inches, lifted trucks ended up being a big help for some people around here.

Vurbano hope that you have made it through this ok, Navy and for those who live north of here get ready because this is supposed to move northward with allot of heavy rain.

Things are just a mess here. downed trees and street lights, etc. AS far as floods Ive lived here 45 years and there is no way I would live in Norfolk or VA BEach. Find you some high ground in NN in nice driving distance from the beaches or River. You also have multple escape routes here just in case here that do not involve tunnels.

Vurbano hope that you have made it through this ok, Navy and for those who live north of here get ready because this is supposed to move northward with allot of heavy rain.

Just getting a bit of rain here.

Makes me remember when I lived in Va Beach at the end of Lord Leighton Court. Back yard dropped off several feet to a "stream." I can't help but wonder how much water is rushing thru those woods and if the house is safe.

Got some great pics to share. Will have to resize them though as they are 2 - 3.5 megs each.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts