WE DID IT! Distant Networks May Be Saved By Senate!

I am not sure which states are most effected by this. May be my state of NY as their is a belt just west of Albany and into the Adirondacks that is not served and yet has a high population.

So anyone in states that are effected should send in messages of support for this bill. If not directly effected, support it. If directly effected make your concern for loss of service heard (a phone call works best, but email is useful).

Does the bill actualy say in the fine print SD or does it just say locals in general.

If it just says local in general then maybe they could apply to HD.

Does anyone have a link to the actual bill they will be voting on?
They are long and full of fine print details.

I dont remember the stats off the top of my head, but I believe they make about 2 Million a month. This was on the earnings call last week.

Even though it probably won't work, we need to tell our Congresspeople that we want to do away with the NAB and PAY for whatever locals we want.

No this is only for SD Networks.

They still need to make rules for HD Networks.

So I am still screwed and will lose my HD locals. And even after all the promises from E* that I would not. This sux. I am pissed enough about this to maybe even pay the fee to drop E* altogether. When you are pronised something by the Executice Communications rep and then he says sorry and now will not return any emails, this is maybe a company that doesn't deserve my hard earned money but it does deserve everything in fines it gets.

Both houses would need to vote on it before the special session ends. Is there anything to suggest that the House is considering this?

Lets hope this gets done. It should be free to consumer to decide which locals they want to see anyway.

So I am still screwed and will lose my HD locals. And even after all the promises from E* that I would not. This sux. I am pissed enough about this to maybe even pay the fee to drop E* altogether. When you are pronised something by the Executice Communications rep and then he says sorry and now will not return any emails, this is maybe a company that doesn't deserve my hard earned money but it does deserve everything in fines it gets.

If the HD locals are the ones from the DMA you live in, this won't affect that.

My opinion is that Distants WILL be back on Dish Network.

Everyone WILL lose them, however they will be restored at a later time after the bill is passed and after each subscriber is requalified.

Scott, so there's no chance this will take affect in time to hold off on the December 1st cutoff? Would this bill possibly influence the Florida judge to give Echostar more time?

if sd distant do come back we may have to fight this fight all over again for the dns hd feeds, hopefully dish will be allowed to keep both sd and hd distant feeds

As far as I remeber RV owner were not affected by distant local issue any way. some one else can chime on if I am wrong.

Wrong, Charlie said on the Tech chat the other day that RV users would lose distants also.

Hmmm....

looks like this not only saved DNS, but also gives more freedom for sv coverage nationwide as well!!!!!

A great day all around, even more proof that your calls DO make a difference.

How does this give more freedom on SV? I thought Dish could already provide neighboring locals as it pertains to that large PDF of SV stations we have all read.

I live in Harrison, AR which is in Springfield, MO DMA. The county 10 miles to the south is in both Springfield and Little Rock DMAs. I really would like Little Rock locals if I could get them.

looks like this not only saved DNS, but also gives more freedom for sv coverage nationwide as well!!!!!

A great day all around, even more proof that your calls DO make a difference.

Um, since nobody here has actually read the bill it is difficult to say what it will and won't do. However based upon the Leahy press release please note:

1. It is not DNS "all around." The only beneficiaries will be truly unserved. I didn't see anything above RV or truckers and certainly Grandfather has passed away.

2. If a local is not available by DBS (e.g. Glendive, MT) then DNS could be used but E* will have to pay through the nose. What are the chances of Charlie doing this? This is essentially "expanded white area" and doesn't impact that many DMA's.

3. SV's has always been an option. E* simply chose not to carry most of them. This legislation will simply extend the 119 license as is. It will not force E* to carry SV.

I think all the jubilation is not only premature but unwarranted. This is like the cardiac patient coming back from death. It doesn't mean he's going to run a marathon.

As far as I remeber RV owner were not affected by distant local issue any way. some one else can chime on if I am wrong.

Distant local is an oxymoron in relation to a subscriber but I assume you mean DNS. Yes, you are wrong. RV'ers had the benefit of the very same license that fixed subscribers did.

Even though it probably won't work, we need to tell our Congresspeople that we want to do away with the NAB and PAY for whatever locals we want.

Fascinating. Supporting the idea that Congress can make a private organization disappear. Incidentally who gets to decide how much you pay for all these stations? Will you compensate the owners of the programming or will you just have them removed by statute as well? Forget fascinating. Your comments are terrifying.

How so? Nothing has changed. And in case you missed 6th grade Civics the Senate can't do squat by itself.

The point was that this guy pops up in all these distant network discussions saying how he will call his senators and try to make it so Dish Network doesn't get any help and it's so petty. Dish is not being punished here, it's rural satellite subscribers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts