Weak TP on IA5? & G10?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Sassan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 1, 2005
Columbus
Can some of you guys check and see what signal strength you get with TP 11836? Sometimes I get a nice clean image, but most of the time, the pic is very pixelated and the sound is virtually non-existant. All other TPs work fine. I get every other channel clear, on all my other sats too.....

now that I think about it, same prob on G10. Everything comes in fine on all my other sats, except on IA5 and G10. And its only one TP on each that is having probs. I have done a blind scan more than 5 times on each, and I sitll have had little luck.

Suggestions, or ideas? Thanks in advance!

11836 is one of the weaker transponders on IA-5 Ku, especially in southern states. If you are using a 76 cm or smaller antenna, the only solution is to consider a larger antenna to make up for the needed extra signal to compensate. This could involve something such as an 85 cm elliptical antenna, which will provide about 1 dB more signal than a 75/76 cm round offset, or for a little more $$$,
one could consider a 90 cm round offset dish, providing more signal than any of the others. Bigger is better, and not all frequencies supply the same power levels throughout the country.

90 cm dish here.....never had a prob with it until about a month ago.

^thanks for contiuously updating your TP site. Its probably my favorite resource!

11836 is workign fine here in MN

I only watch GNF Music & Daystar but whenever I am on those 2 channels it works fine (76cm dish)

mikekohl said:
11836 is one of the weaker transponders on IA-5 Ku, especially in southern states. If you are using a 76 cm or smaller antenna, the only solution is to consider a larger antenna to make up for the needed extra signal to compensate. This could involve something such as an 85 cm elliptical antenna, which will provide about 1 dB more signal than a 75/76 cm round offset, or for a little more $$$,
one could consider a 90 cm round offset dish, providing more signal than any of the others. Bigger is better, and not all frequencies supply the same power levels throughout the country.
Mike, How would a better LNB work in this situation? Or let me rephrase. If you had the following two options, which one would yield a better result?

1) upgrade to a larger dish, but keep your LNB as is.
2) keep your dish as is, but upgrade to an LNB with better SNR?

A 90 cm antenna should not be having problems on those signals, so before spending money on new hardware, I would first check the system for proper alignment, as well as line-of-sight issues.
You said that this started about a month ago?? Is there any chance that the leaves on the trees appeared at the same time, and that there may be at least some partial blockage of your antenna? Remember that offset antennas typically point about 22 degrees lower than the actual incoming satellite angle, so you will have to take that into consideration.

Next, check your elevation and azimuth for best signal.
Shifting ground during spring breakup, or possibly a windstorm,
may have altered the pointing on your antenna. If all unaffected signals are at same power levels as before, but 11836 is the only one affected, how far down is the quality level compared to others?
Finally, check your polarity alignment (skew). If it has not been moved, there should be no dramatic change, but if it is off even more than 2 or 3 degrees from optimum, weaker channels may suffer in signal strength...but usually not just one transponder.
No results up to this point? Your LNBF may be suspect.

Let us know your results.

To answer the last question...bigger antenna would provide a more reliable signal....assuming that the LNBF is not defective.
LNBFs that are truly operating at a 0.6 dB or lower noise temperature are probably OK. One must note that there are some fraudulently-labeled LNBFs on the market (many of Chinese origin), that may not perform as well as the noise figure indicates. Stay away from unknown brands claiming 0.4 dB or less, unless you or others have had positive experience with that brand.

mikekohl said:
To answer the last question...bigger antenna would provide a more reliable signal....assuming that the LNBF is not defective.
LNBFs that are truly operating at a 0.6 dB or lower noise temperature are probably OK. One must note that there are some fraudulently-labeled LNBFs on the market (many of Chinese origin), that may not perform as well as the noise figure indicates. Stay away from unknown brands claiming 0.4 dB or less, unless you or others have had positive experience with that brand.

Great! Thanks Mike. I was thinking about upgrading to an Invacom LNB with 0.3 dB SNR. I have heard nothing but good about this brand. Are there any others that offer low SNR on their LNBs?

I like the Xtreme .3 and the Sadoun .4

Both of these work about the same. I use to use an old ExpressVu (when they were linear) .6 LNB on a 90cm for G10 and it worked OK…upgraded to the Sadoun .4 and the results were better (the weaker TP on G10 stayed rock solid instead fo jumpting)

mikekohl said:

So true! I have tested a few LNB's that "claimed" .3 or .4 and they were no better (one was worse) than my .6 ExpressVu

I slap it on my various setups and see what kind of signal quality I get and the stability. My Pansat 1500 has the ultimate “spazmastic” meter where it goes from 30 to 50 to 40 to 60 to 30 to 50 etc constantly.
Bad LNB’s do this

Good LNB’s will keep it stable (not jump as much). Also if a .6 gives me the same readings as a .3 theres an issue. My ExpressVu LNB is really old so the .3 ones should be better than the .6

No line of site issues......clear all the way.

If it was an alignment issue, why would only 1 of how many TPs have problems? Everything else comes in clear.

LNB is tight as can be....no movement in the skew.

Using an Invacom QPH-031.

It wouldn't be a big deal, except on IA5, its the two channels I watch the most. IRIB2 and their new channel, straight from back home. Otherwise, I wouldn't bring it up.

The channels come in, with audio, but less than 50% which causes it to not be clear enough to watch.

Thanks

Sassan

I'm getting a 60 on my Pansat with a 37x27 StarChoice dish (LNB is probably a .6 or .5). I'm in MN so as Mike noted, it may be location

Attachments

• IM000768.JPG
    IM000768.JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 213
hmmmmmmmmmmm, thanks for checking

I just don't understand why. Completely clear line of sight!

I will keep tweeking with it and see what I get.

Thanks guys!

sassan

I know there are a few members in Columbus or nearby (including Sadoun). Hopefully they chime in

Well, I am in Nor-cal (San Jose, CA) and I watch those channels on IA5 all the time. I was watching them unitl 10PM last night and there were no issues. I have a 76cm dish.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)