Weekly Reboot Required

voripteth

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 20, 2005
Aurora, IL
I find that I need to do a hard reset of my 722k on about a weekly basis to keep it running normally. If I don't, I end up with a black screen for playback. (Already reported in another thread.)

The point is, I pretty much had to to the same thing on the 622 or it had other issues. Come to think of it pretty much every Dish DVR needs a regular reboot to keep running well. (You'd think they were running Windows!)

Have anyone else noticed this? Do we have a collective voice that we're unhappy with the quality control of software at Dish?

I have had a 722k for about six months and very rarely reboot it.

I had a 622 for over four years and vary rarely had to do a hard reset on it either.

Overall I have very few complaints about Dish's quality control!

I may be barking up the wrong tree, but it can't hurt to check.
I had to reboot my 722 a few times early in its life for weird playback issues, and turned out it was heat related. Moved it out of my entertainment center and into the open air, and has been fine ever since. If you check the diagnostics, you can get numbers for highest temp, lowest temp, and average temp. Compare those to searches on this site to see if yours is running on the high end. If so, that may be your answer to why you need to reboot.
Only reason I brought the heat thing up is it sounds like you've had problems with multiple boxes, so it may not be the boxes that are the problem, but instead the environment they are sitting.

Mike

I find that I need to do a hard reset of my 722k on about a weekly basis to keep it running normally. If I don't, I end up with a black screen for playback. (Already reported in another thread.)

The point is, I pretty much had to to the same thing on the 622 or it had other issues. Come to think of it pretty much every Dish DVR needs a regular reboot to keep running well. (You'd think they were running Windows!)

Have anyone else noticed this? Do we have a collective voice that we're unhappy with the quality control of software at Dish?

Do you normally turn just the tv off when you're not watching it, leaving the receiver on...or do you turn both the televisions and both tuners on the receiver off when not watching?

I hate to break it to you, but all the Dish DVRs reboot every night. :) Usually at 3 a.m. unless you change it in Preferences.

I don't think the OP is referring to the nightly reboot, but having to do so because of some problem!

First, no real ongoing problem with dish receivers for me, customer for almost 15 years. I did find the 508 should have had the built in nightly reset. I simply put a timer on it, it turned it off around 4AM every night, then back on about 5min later. That seemed to have made it run with no problems for years.

You didn't quite give enough information, as someone asked, do you leave it turned on when the TV is off, or do you turn it off. In any event, if unplugging it fixes whatever problem you have, in addition to the built in reset you could put a timer on it. It is of course possible there is a problem with it, but overall I do not have problem with Dish software. In the two cases I had to get a new receiver it was the hard drive that failed. Not bad over 15 years.

Do you normally turn just the tv off when you're not watching it, leaving the receiver on...or do you turn both the televisions and both tuners on the receiver off when not watching?

It's a mixture of both. No hard numbers but I get the feeling that reboots are more necessary when the DVR is left on.
As for temperature, the unit is in the open on a glass shelf. No heat problems.

The reboot that I refer to is pressing the reset switch on the front panel. The unit behaves as if a power cycle has been done.

It's a mixture of both. No hard numbers but I get the feeling that reboots are more necessary when the DVR is left on.
As for temperature, the unit is in the open on a glass shelf. No heat problems.

The reboot that I refer to is pressing the reset switch on the front panel. The unit behaves as if a power cycle has been done.

The unit is never off just the output is switched to the screen saver. The only way that you can turn these off so to speak is to unplug it.

So much for turning the unit off making a difference. I did a search to see my "black screen" problem.
Here is the link

Interestingly enough that was when I got switched from a 722 to a 722k so they could "fix" the problem. Guess it didn't get fixed but it is sure odd the same thing happens on a completely different model.