Welcome to our 2017 CES Forum!

Need antennas? They got antennas.

20170106_154759.jpg

Drones had a huge presence here. Including this company and their $10k monster capable of lifting a small child. And this model was their middle option with one larger. Maybe that can lift two small children??

20170106_113537.jpg

Isn't kind of some irony. Everything about Electronics show but slow internet.
I blame Apple and their apparent inability to give their phone cameras the feature to take anything but ginormous pictures.

And yet people still seem to think that OTT is going to take over the world. That's what happens when Netflix outpaces pron as the most watched video source in hotels and motels.

I blame Apple and their apparent inability to give their phone cameras the feature to take anything but ginormous pictures.
I think there are plenty of megapixel sensors in non-Apple smartphones as well. Plus, there are rigs like the Livestream and Teradek that allow bloggers and pretty much anyone with a HDMI-equipped video camera the ability to broadcast via cellular 3G/4G/LTE carriers. Or, go crazy with the Streambox VETA™ and use up to ten cellular & WiFi modems to grab the best channels and multiplex your signal to home base.

I think there are plenty of bandwidth hogs out there on the CES show floor, not just Apple.

And yet people still seem to think that OTT is going to take over the world. That's what happens when Netflix outpaces pron as the most watched video source in hotels and motels.

This is building the car before the gas station is built. Plus its like putting your shoes on without your socks on.

I think there are plenty of megapixel sensors in non-Apple smartphones as well.
The key difference is that the non-Apple phones allow you to choose how you save the files. Apple seems to be in a rather huge crush to get people spending money on shipping stuff up to their iCloud.

Reactions: TheKrell
The key difference is that the non-Apple phones allow you to choose how you save the files.
Although any reporter or blogger at CES is not going to be taking 640x480 pictures of the new toys. I'm willing to bet that if there was a way for the iPhone to take RAW, serious photographers would use it. Likewise, any Android user with a megapixel phone is going to be "screw everyone else, I'm taking the best pictures I can".

But I think I get where you were going with your gripe. iCloud automatically uploads full-rez photos to Apple's servers, and bam! there goes the bandwidth. I don't sync unless I'm on WiFi, but I could see using cellular coverage if I was taking pictures for an unrepeatable event and I wouldn't want to lose the pictures.

I don't use Google Photos or Dropbox to save photos, so I don't know if they have a way to minimize bandwidth while syncing content over cellular data, or of down-rezing photos to cut down on the bandwidth need.

Likewise, any Android user with a megapixel phone is going to be "screw everyone else, I'm taking the best pictures I can".
That's one side, but if you know the pictures are going to end up as attachments on a forum or used for on-screen display, it isn't necessary to have them floating around at 4xxx X 3xxx resolution. With iOS and its built-in camera app, you're not afforded that choice.

It isn't just the bandwidth, but the additional storage required. Of course you can mail it to yourself and use the scaling feature of the e-mail client, but that's just stupid.

Anyone on the CES floor is not going to be your average user, they are (supposed to be) professionals from the media and consumer electronics business. That's why I don't think much concern is being given to saving space or bandwidth on the images that are captured during the show. Since the original comment related to the poor state of Internet connectivity during CES, I think I'll stick by my responses.

And while I don't have the ability to reduce the size of the pictures I take using my iPhone's camera app, it's not been an issue for me since I regularly sync/upload my camera roll onto my Mac. Last time I was at CES, I used both iPhone and Nikon cameras since the iPhone is a fixed field of view and there are times for a telephoto or normal 50mm - 90mm equivalent focal length. I was able to get a respectable Internet upload from the hotel I was staying at since I'd been warned about the crappy data speeds on the show floor. However, the few posts I made using the SatelliteGuys app from the Dish booth seem to upload pretty quickly.

Anyway, thanks for your comments, harshness, I will check out some of the other camera apps on the App Store for some that allow the ability to reduce the picture quality or size since my Nikon gives me that option and sometimes it's nice to have in an emergency.

That's why I don't think much concern is being given to saving space or bandwidth on the images that are captured during the show.
This iOS shortcoming was there before and will likely remain long after CES. Apple hasn't announced any plan to reduce the grotesque amount of space required (other than optionally severing the context animations) for storing photographs.

This is just one of the reasons that the wireless bandwidth can't seem to get ahead of demand.

When I upload photos to SatelliteGuys I am given an option of how big I want to make the pictures as seen below.
This is, perhaps not obviously, a function of the forum reader app.

With the higher resolution iPhone cameras, the images are frequently in the 3.xMB range per picture (at 4032x3024 pixels) which is about 8x the size the file you're currently seeing.

Reactions: TheKrell
Some more show pics but so many vendors it was crazy. Show gets bigger every year. Pretty much too big now.

Show floor:
Only a small sample. I defy anyone to walk the show for a full 3 or 4 days and NOT be ready to chop their legs or feet off from the pain of walking so much!
Infinity (almost):
Show Floor 1.jpg Show Floor 2.jpg
Show Floor 3.jpg Show Floor 4.jpg

3D Printing:
On the rise, especially for the average hobbyist. Even saw one for industrial printing with metal.
3D1.jpg 3D2.jpg 3D3.jpg 3D4.jpg

And yes, even print you a breakfast for those non-creative types:
3D5.jpg

Drones:
Too many vendors to keep track of. Focus was mostly on the consumer but saw plenty who had massive drones for much larger projects like movies and very remote/dangerous applications.
In case you wanted to know where drones live, now you know.
Drones1.jpg

Drones2.jpg Drones3.jpg

Pets:
This one made me laugh. Over $400 to not be lazy with a cat (and we have four ourselves with one nice, clean plastic box).
Pets1.jpg

Pets2.jpg Pets3.jpg

Sports:
Needless to say, most of the displays were 'interesting' to look at. That girl could out pull-up any one of us!
Sports1.jpg Sports2.jpg Sports3.jpg

This is, perhaps not obviously, a function of the forum reader app.
It's a feature of the iOS version, at least the one I use on my iPhone 6.
With the higher resolution iPhone cameras, the images are frequently in the 3.xMB range per picture (at 4032x3024 pixels) which is about 8x the size the file you're currently seeing.
You piqued my curiosity so I checked on some recent images from the holidays. Looking at some pictures I took from Christmas time they ranged from 1.1 to 2.9 megabytes in size, even at the full 3,264 × 2,448 pixel size. I can see how the iPhone 6s/7 with the larger sensor could easily average 3+ megabytes.

Since I don't have a Samsung phone, what is their picture file size for the full-resolution?
(Guess it's a good thing CES 2017 is over since we've hijacked this thread into the weeds!)

Part II.

Robots:
One would think we as humans are doomed a lot faster than we ever imagined with all these sweet to just plain scary robots we are creating to replace us.
Robots01.jpg Robots03.jpg Robots04.jpg Robots05.jpg Robots06.jpg Robots07.jpg Robots08.jpg Robots8a.jpg Robots09.jpg Robots10.jpg

These buggers are just the smaller versions of the ones that will take over. Here doing their victory dance.
Robots02.jpg

TV:
8K is coming. From many different vendors, too
8K 1.jpg 8K 2.jpg 8K 3.jpg 8K 4.jpg 8K 5.jpg

This was simply amazing from Sony. You have to see in person to appreciate. It was a 32' x 9', 8K x 2K resolution screen. It is designed for commercial use but was told some big shooter individuals are interested in this for home use (smaller size of course). As it was displayed, it is made up of 144 individual 16' x 18' panels that seamlessly blend together (no bezel or virtually no noticeable framing-except if the screen was all white and you stand at an angle to see some panel reflections). Sony said they have to professionally install and this one is over $3M dollars to install. The interesting thing is when the price comes down one could simply use as many panels as they need to create a more reasonable sized display. Told the software understand the configuration and knows how to drive the video to display properly. Specs say you could go up to 1,440 panels. Really impressive.
Sony 2.jpg Sony 3.jpg Sony 4.jpg

https://blog.sony.com/press/sony-re...-technology-with-a-new-canvas-for-creativity/

Sony OLED:
Sony 1.jpg

Reactions: Foxbat
Part III

Personal/Home:
No longer will we have a "dumb" bedroom:
Bed1.jpg Bed2.jpg Bed3.jpg

Get your DJ on. Love the booty checking look on the girl in the green dress:
DJ1.jpg DJ2.jpg DJ3.jpg

Grow your own food...or whatever:
FoodGrow.jpg

Record the girls at the beach when you stare at them:
Glasses.jpg

A smart vinyl record?? Blasphemy.
Record.jpg

Sleep pods for when the robots take over.
SleepyTime1.jpg SleepyTime3.jpg SleepyTime4.jpg
or just some hugs:
SleepyTime6.jpg

The one camera all robots will use??
SmartCam.jpg

As if walking was too hard:
Transport1.jpg Transport2.jpg Transport3.jpg

I have to say, the music and the flow kept me watching this for waay longer than I felt comfortable with. Soothing in an odd sort of way.

Too much VR stuff to post. But this represents almost all of the VR zombie people soon to be stepping out of reality:
VR.jpg

Two washers and two dryers in one. No more excuses guys:
Washing.jpg

Last one.

Weird sh*t:
For those fans of the TV show Person of Interest. It's happening:
BigBro.jpg

(not-so) Future purchase for many of us here:
Cane.jpg

When hearing loss is not a worry of yours:
CarSpeakers.jpg

Cheerleading. Need I say more?
Cheerleading.jpg

Not at the show, but saw this driving down Las Vegas Blvd. Wonder how much further it went before it and the driver were crushed by a truck:
DriveThis.jpg

Zombie making machine?
EyeFresh.jpg

I...don't know what to say. But they do have a catchy website address at the bottom:
Fertility.jpg

Also didn't know that Einstein's junk had anything interesting to say...let alone even spoke. He had some mad talents.
Genius.jpg

Oh, I have some DNA:
Genome.jpg

Smart hairbrush. Why??
Hairbrush.jpg

For those poor children whose parents rather spent the night drinking than playing with them:
LoserChild.jpg

I checked. No one accidentally mistook one for a real bathroom...but this guy was eyein' it pretty hard:
Potty1.jpg Potty2.jpg

Smart connected clothes. Wait, what?
SmartClothes.jpg

Weird, but cool. Speaker levitated:
Speaker.jpg

OK, so what do painted girls have to do with selling sunglasses? Nothing. But thought you would enjoy this:
Sunglasses1.jpg Sunglasses2.jpg

For those afraid of tattoo pain:
Tattoo.jpg

And finally, the future of dating ala Tinder:
Tinder.jpg

...and if you ever do get to Vegas for CES or any other reason and are a car guy, check out the Petty Experience for muscle cars. Take the extra vacation day. They have them for stock cars and "dream" cars as well. The muscle car one is pretty affordable and I believe is only at the Las Vegas Motor Speedway. The other experiences are offered at various other tracks. I'm a Dodge guy and took the Challenger Hellcat up to 150MPH top speed (although you have to look at the dash to confirm as their sensors don't always register at the right speed points and only showed 132MPH as top). Yep, almost crapped my pants.

https://www.pettymusclecar.com/

Since I don't have a Samsung phone, what is their picture file size for the full-resolution?
It depends entirely on the phone model (since Samsung alone makes around 10 Android models) but the point is that you can choose a lesser resolution when you want/need and not have to worry about in-phone manual editing to reduce the size. As I said earlier, there are iPhone camera apps that will do this as well, but why omit it from the included app?

On Android it is arguably less important as many of the Android devices support memory expansion. I have a 128GB microSD in my $99 Tracfone.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts