Welcome to the Doctor Who fan forum

Derwin0

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 16, 2004
Peachtree City, GA
Welcome to the Doctor Who fan forum. A forum to discuss one of the longest shows ever on tv, being made by the BBC since 1963.

Both the classic and new series can be discussed here.

This is great. I've been watching the Doctor since the early eighties when I found him on public TV. I think between betamax, VHS tapes and DVR archives I recorded myself, and a couple purchased here and there, I have every episode somewhere, at least all that were available when I was collecting them. There are a few which were famously "discarded" and since been remade in one form or another, I don't have those.

Yeah, back in the 80's I had taped the ones off of Ga Public TV (Petwee, Baker, Davidson).
Pretty bad copies, as it was OTA, and we were 50 miles from the tower. :p

Put shortly after I moved to PA, I found out Maryland Public TV was showing Doctor Who, so managed to get on VHS all the non-lost episodes from Hartnell all the way to McCoy, in glorious Cable Quality. :D

Now if I only had a VCR hooked up.

Martha

I rarely watch anything twice, but I am now watching the Martha shows that were on Sci Fi a week or so ago because the first time I saw them they were in SD what a difference.

actually now that i think of it, i believe there are many of the mccoy episodes that i do not have, maybe i have even not seen a few of them.

I rarely watch anything twice, but I am now watching the Martha shows that were on Sci Fi a week or so ago because the first time I saw them they were in SD what a difference.
Only the most recent special (Planet of the Dead) was filmed in HD. All the others are SD.
All your seeing is upconverted SD.

Cool! Glad to see this forum :) Been a Dr Who fan for years watching them on the local PBS stations.

I'm not overly partial to any specific Doctor. I'm a bit nervous about the new young Doctor, but we'll see how it plays out.

-Mike

Dr Who on British TV

Dr Who Planet Of The Dead was aired on BBC HD April 11th lasting 59min with a trailer of The Waters Of Mars at the end of the program. It was the first showing in HD, all previous episodes have been in SD here in England. If it has not been aired in the U.S. yet then watch it in HD if possible when it is next on. The HD Quality was excellent. After the episode was shown then Dr Who Confidential was aired on BBC3 in SD lasting 48min, this is a follow up program that shows how the episode was made. For every Dr Who episode there is a follow on program on how the episode is made and this is shown right after the program but always on BBC 3, I wonder if you get to see Dr Who Confidential in the U.S. I have seen every episode from day one back when it was in black and white and used to have every episode on Betamax until I gave most of them away. These days you can see all the original episodes repeated on some of the European Science Fiction Channels and the quality is very good considering the age of them. A while ago the BBC was advertising asking the general public if they had any early recordings of Dr Who as it had some missing from its archives and some time later they aired some of these recordings which were not very good quality.Since Dr Who came back on air a couple of years ago I have recorded every episode onto DVD along with the Confidential episodes and now I have a copy in HD of the latest episode maybe this time I shall keep them.

Latest Dr Who DVD

I have just read in What's on TV magazine a small article that says Planet Of The Dead episode will be available on DVD from June 15th. There was no mention of a U.S.release date but it may well be of a similar time.

I have just read in What's on TV magazine a small article that says Planet Of The Dead episode will be available on DVD from June 15th. There was no mention of a U.S.release date but it may well be of a similar time.
Typically Doctor Who DVD's arn't released in the U.S. until after Scifi shows it. So it might be a wait.

My first Doctor Who experience came in the early 80's from PBS Channel 11 Chicago , Tom Baker as the Doctor .

I couldn't get enough of the Doctor and there really wasn't any licensing agreement for merchandise in North America so I had to setlle with collecting the paperback books, later I was able to get some items as imported goods at specialty shops and at festivals.

High School came around and interest in Doctor Who had peaked a couple years earlier when the High School I attended formed a Doctor Who fanclub and they even had there own Doctor Who festival with rare episodes from the early years thanks to the advisor who's son was a BIG FAN and had a massive collection of old episodes and newer episodes that hadn't been picked up by our local PBS station.

I was a Doctor Who geek since the 6th grade and saw both Tom Baker at a Sci-Fi convention in and Peter Davidson at a Sci-Fi fantasy Store , the 5th doctor signed a book for me which I still have.

No longer attached to my collectibles I sold some of my doctor who items on Ebay a few years back , but I still have the digital pictures .

Date sold and what it sold for accompany the picture description title , funny thing was that the buyers were from the U.K. since the Return of Doctor Who sparked renewed interest.

Attachments

• DR DOCTOR WHO FRONT VIEWMASTER small.jpg
    DR DOCTOR WHO FRONT VIEWMASTER small.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 168
  • Harbert Mego Doctor Who Doll $117.50 9-03-06.JPG
    Harbert Mego Doctor Who Doll $117.50 9-03-06.JPG
    223.3 KB · Views: 181
  • PALITOY TALKING DALEK $96.00 9-03-06.JPG
    PALITOY TALKING DALEK $96.00 9-03-06.JPG
    190.8 KB · Views: 177
The first Dr. Who I ever saw was Peter Cushing in the movie Dr. Who and the Daleks. I was very young and I was fascinated by robots. I really thought robots were real...like in Tobor the Great, and the Lost in Space robot, but I never seen anything like the Daleks...but it wasn't till a few years later that I got into the Dr. Who series on PBS in Chicago. Tom Baker was the first real Dr. Who I seen and I've been hooked ever since. I still love whenever the Daleks are brought back and I miss K-9! I do like David Tennant and I give it to the Brits for keeping the series going after all these years. I'm always thankful when I hear it's going to be on some station in the U.S., even if they cut it every 10 minutes for 3 minutes of adds(SciFi).
Ghpr13:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)