Well just got a look at my install

Needless to say I'm not happy, it may not be the nicest house in town but when a tech is there from 4pm till 10pm and he has help you expect the job to be done right. With what this guy did it would have taken an hour tops.:rant:

Yeah..Not a very good job at all. Cable lying/touching the ground. The unattached ground wire, vertical cable with vertical barrel splice. The penetration without sealant. The lifted roof shingles.
Doesn't matter the neigborhood. A spec job is precisely that. If it isn't, it should be redone at that offending tech's expense.
Call Dish get a FSM out there to inspect. IMO that job is a fail.

The last two pics show how close the ground source is and also that even though the wrong clamp was used and it took a follow up call to get it done that at least direct grounded their system.

So now I have to wait for the local shop to call to come out and assess any damages and to reinstall the system.

I bet that electrical conduit to the meter base is PVC...That's not a ground.

daang and the dish is over a living space, that's a huge no no along with everything else. it was a new connect there should be zero excuses, i've been to service changes where the job was f'd up from loong ago and i cleaned it up as much as possible...but with new connects or movers NO excuse

I am glad the "no over the living space" rule is not in effect here. We'd lose 50% of our work. Literally.

They do that on purpose so you have to pay them a 2nd time to come out and fix it. Thats how they make money off ya. Just like how you have to pay them to fix their own equipment. Sooner or later they will be out of business cause they will have pissed off everyone. I can't wait for that day.
Say what? Umm I don;t think so. This would be what is referd to as a Trouble Call. This is non pay. The customer DOES not pay. The tech who made the errors is NOT paid.
Hopefully the OP will get his install re-done by someone other than the person that did the original job.

Yes it is supposed to be mounted to a rafter, but if you have closed soffits (like 98% of the homes out there) its almost impossible to hit one. Stud finders don't work very well through asphalt shingles either.

Finding rafters is easy. Just take the mast, turn it over and use it to tap on the roof. When I hear the sound change I know where the rafter is located. I don't miss. Ever.

Say what? Umm I don;t think so. This would be what is referd to as a Trouble Call. This is non pay. The customer DOES not pay. The tech who made the errors is NOT paid.
Hopefully the OP will get his install re-done by someone other than the person that did the original job.

I can't understand why a lot of you guys stick up for this company. They do nothing but lie/rip people off and get away with it. Sorry but it just drives me nuts. :)

I can't understand why a lot of you guys stick up for this company. They do nothing but lie/rip people off and get away with it. Sorry but it just drives me nuts. :)

Who is sticking up for Dish?
The rules are what they are. You screw up, you don't get paid. Everyone knows the specs and all know the diff betweena good install and a poor one.
The photos in this thread indicate a poor install.

At least they attempted to ground your install. Mine wasn't even attempted. It's been 1 and 1/2 years so I should probably get around to doing so...

At least they attempted to ground your install. Mine wasn't even attempted. It's been 1 and 1/2 years so I should probably get around to doing so...

There are many times I don't ground cause its on the other side of the home and I'm not running 10gauge crappy green wire around someone's house to ground. IMO home owners need to have a ground rod drivin on both east and west sides of their homes for instances like this.

The pictures also reflect alot of unneeded wire, the 7inch service or drip loops are beyond a waste to me. You don't need to go that large for just a little bit of line you may need in the future. You go to do a install with existing wiring if you can't stretch that stuff to do a full 7 inch loop your screwed. I also agree that if there was a over living space rule I wouldn't get in half my jobs...first thing I get asked by my office when I call in a No LOS is "It won't go on the roof?" :rolleyes:

clearly someone is just either pissed off at the company to not give a damn during this or any other install and is on their way out or is just plain stupid and shouldn't be doing it anyway.

Dish needs to be grounded, the copper strap needs to be replaced with galvanized, and holes need to be sealed.
Other than that the rest is just ugly.

You better hope it doesnt rain b/c you probably will have leaks in the roof where he screwed the dish in. Then you will have a crap ton more problems.
Oh I won't be the one having a problem, that'll be dish with the problem and the repair bill but at least its not over a living space.

I bet that electrical conduit to the meter base is PVC...That's not a ground.
Metal all the way.
Improper cabling, ground, no silicone on mounting bolts or on one entry point. Dude just failed Dish QC bigtime.
Failed it on the no coax plug and no sealant at the wall, would have also failed it with no grounding as well.

That ground you see is actually directv's attempt to ground their system albeit a 55ft run from the ground block to the meter and not attached at all anywhere along the house when it was first ran which is why I had tripped over it last year.

Ok tech is finished and out the door, he rerouted the problem cable, grounded the system, fixed the drip loop and sealed the point of entry all in 25 minutes. Got a look inside of his van and it was the cleanest and most organized dish van I have ever seen and he was professional the entire time.

Will post pics tomorrow as I have to get the family out of here for a mall trip.

Wow that is bad I could do a better job drunk. Sorry you had such a bad install just had an eastern arc upgrade and the tech did a very neat job dishes went on the roof but he sealed every thing. The tech took pictures of the whole install including the the signal strength screens for all sat's on both TV's. Told me everything has to be to code pictures taken of the install system must be properly grounded he said he has to document actual signal strengths because techs were lying about what they actually getting.

As to Dish cutting pay for its in house I can tell you that that is as far from reality as you can get, many of the in house that I have talked with during the last 2 - 3 years who are FSS 3 - 4 are making upwards of $20 - $24 an hour which was close to where I was at when I left 4 years ago at FSS 3 $19.35hr.

This was a brand new install, the dish is located over an attached garage and I did clear the roof mounting over the garage only due to line of site issues with a neighboring house and several tree's.

To Digi's question yes he did stuff the coax under the entire row of shingles at the drip edge the length of the roof on that side of the house for about 45 - 55 feet. I will be heading into the attic when I get home from school today to check out the roof mount just to be sure its mounted into a roof beam.

As I remember him and I talking there were some conversation points that should have tipped me off to watch what he was doing but as I had said before lack of sleep played a role in my not following him around. For what its worth I have not asked dish for any free this or that, my concern is just to have the system installed right and any damages taken care of, any restitution will be discussed later but right now I want it done right because we are coming into spring thunderstorm season.

Nearly forgot, when I was working for dish I only ever had one time where I did anything remotely like this and it came down to where I had decided to mount a ground block and I can blame it all on fatigue and stress as my wife was about to have a baby. I had learned from the best possible kind of trainer, an at the time retired Army demolitions expert who's lines were so straight they could cut steel and his service loops so perfectly 4 inches in diameter that a micrometer couldn't find a flaw and every clip spaced perfectly apart. I worked hard to make my stuff like his and he was the biggest reason why I took pride in my work over my time with dish.

Van,

Pay rates have gone down alot since you left. They have really cut the pay in the last year, infact Dish just cut about 30% out of the install pay.

Other things have changed as well, such as service loops muct be 7" now. Also your clips should never be exactly the same distance apart as that can cause a standing wave problem.

Now there is no doubt that it was a crap install. THe problem is it is going to become far more common. The pay has been reduced to the point any decent tech is getting out of the business. All that will be left are the hacks and the newbie techs. You can make more working at wal-Mart than you can installing satellite dishes, that is not a lie, I am living it.

Needless to say I'm not happy, it may not be the nicest house in town but when a tech is there from 4pm till 10pm and he has help you expect the job to be done right. With what this guy did it would have taken an hour tops.:rant:

OMFG. If I left a job like that I'd be in serious sh*t. *shakes head* :eek:

The last two pics show how close the ground source is and also that even though the wrong clamp was used and it took a follow up call to get it done that at least direct grounded their system.

So now I have to wait for the local shop to call to come out and assess any damages and to reinstall the system.

Is that third picture mounted over a living space?! :eek:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)