Well, the drama is over

pigskintoads

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 22, 2003
I may live to regret this, but I have just called D* and signed up for a Tuesday installation. After seeing Viacom scroll a ominous message on the bottom of some of my favorite channels and then seeing E* blacking the message out, I realize this is a pissing contest that we as Dish customers are sure to lose. I have an 811 that does not work as advertised and no new HD on the horizon. I have two dishes on my home to receive all my locals instead of one and I have put up with over compression for the last three months.
It seems to me that with the ability to buy new hardware that is manufactured from many companies is better than a single company making hardware that seems to be always buggy and short on supply. I will miss the super stations though. I don't know if D* will be better, but I do know that the drama of the man from Colorado will be over.
I hope E* works out for all who stick with it.

Kinda' funny... after 9 years with D*, I dumped them today after having E* installed yesterday.

They have all the same problems... read about the Samsung 360 bug list.
And there are some threads on AVS forum about DTV standardizing on a single HD receiver.

Oh well, the grass is always greener!

pigskintoads said:
I may live to regret this, but I have just called D* and signed up for a Tuesday installation. After seeing Viacom scroll a ominous message on the bottom of some of my favorite channels and then seeing E* blacking the message out, I realize this is a pissing contest that we as Dish customers are sure to lose. I have an 811 that does not work as advertised and no new HD on the horizon. I have two dishes on my home to receive all my locals instead of one and I have put up with over compression for the last three months.
It seems to me that with the ability to buy new hardware that is manufactured from many companies is better than a single company making hardware that seems to be always buggy and short on supply. I will miss the super stations though. I don't know if D* will be better, but I do know that the drama of the man from Colorado will be over.

I canceled my E* installation for Monday (tomorrow) and reset it for Wednesday. By then I hope we'll know what'shappening.
Geoff
www.nospintravel.com

pigskintoads said:
dont let the door hitcha on the way out

quote Todd "I have an 811 that does not work as advertised"

Since it "does not work as advertised" , I assume you'll sell it cheap??

$149.99------Any takers? It has the problems exspressed in these forums. I have two remotes for it. The first one seemed to be fussy. Never checked the second one.

I never saw the scrolling messages. I guess that I will not miss Viacom, since I must not watch them anyway.

Any I just thought in the last Month that Dish Pic quality got so good that it is near DVD quality on most channels.

Not Locals of course, they look bad on both Direct and Dish.

bobj2004 said:
Any I just thought in the last Month that Dish Pic quality got so good that it is near DVD quality on most channels.

It looks significantly better than DirTv, IMHO.

We live in a society that demands instant gratification.

bobj2004 said:

What is the size of the TV your viewing? I could be wrong but I think you would be hard pressed to find anyone with a 40” or larger screen to agree with you…specially if it is RP, LCD or Plasma..

pigskintoads said:
$149.99------Any takers? It has the problems exspressed in these forums. I have two remotes for it. The first one seemed to be fussy. Never checked the second one.

Offer is still good.

Holy sh#t

I switched to E* from D* this past Saturday. I switched from E* to D* this past Sunday. Dishnetwork was a very big disappaointment. Installer was cluesless,811 would not output HD signal,dish would not aquire signal. I watched dishnetwork for a total of 2 hours. Say what you want, D* has got the equipment and service. The door will not hit my a$$ on the way out. I slammed the door on E*. I will lurk in the Dishnetwork forum,but I wll be mostly in D* and v* forums...

I'm pretty happy with E*

I just dumped Adelphia cable for Dish and so far, I'm pretty happy.

The installer came when they said he'd come.
He did a great job (although I pre-wired and helped quite a bit).
Things worked pretty well right out of the box (811 and 522).

SD looks decent on my 61" RPTV set but a little soft on my 106" screen.

HD looks spectacular on my 106" screen.

The PVR is easy to use and is very convenient (single mode would be very cool eventually).

The only 2 problems I have are 1) My HD HBO picture and audio freeze up on occasion. I change channels and back again to "release" the freeze; and 2) sometimes my program guide has trouble loading. It loads part of the way and stops, then times out. I usually solve this by turning the box off for a while and then back on again. Hey, I'll deal with those until they are fixed.

You can't beat the DHP equipment price...free...or should I say priceless.

On my 110" Front projection system, I tried out the free HBO/Cinemax preview a few weeks ago and the picture was not even close to DVD quality and you'd think that the Premium channels would have the least compression.

dta316 said:
I switched to E* from D* this past Saturday. I switched from E* to D* this past Sunday. Dishnetwork was a very big disappaointment. Installer was cluesless,811 would not output HD signal,dish would not aquire signal. I watched dishnetwork for a total of 2 hours. Say what you want, D* has got the equipment and service. The door will not hit my a$$ on the way out. I slammed the door on E*. I will lurk in the Dishnetwork forum,but I wll be mostly in D* and v* forums...

Ya poor guy! I cant say I've heard of anyone else that has an 811 that wont output HD. You must have had some setup problem or just a bad unit. Enjoy D*. I heard that D* equipment will wipe your a$$ too, is that right?

cancunkev said:
If the offer is still on the table I will give you $200 for the 811, payment by your terms.....

Let me know

Haven't you heard? These 811s don't work south of the boarder. :)

And Rupert is braggin that he will be getting rid of the 30 second commercial skip and limiting the amount of time you can store a program.......

Remind me again why his monopoly is a GOOD idea?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)