Upgrade Procedures for the 522?

jpcrumley

Original poster
Mar 1, 2004
I was looking on Dish Netowork's website and noticed that the instructions they give for taking an upgrade are incorrect. They work on other model, but I was wondering if there's anything special to do to make sure that my DVR will download the newest software.

I haven't been able to figure out a way to "force" an update. I left it off all night, and also did a check switch last night. No joy. If anyone knows for sure, let us know.

Most of the time when DISH sends out new software they don't send it to all receivers. They have learned to send it to a few at a time so if they have introduced more bugs than cures everyone isn't affected. I wish they would explain what the new software is supposed to do so we would know what is being added or cured.

boba said:
Most of the time when DISH sends out new software they don't send it to all receivers. They have learned to send it to a few at a time so if they have introduced more bugs than cures everyone isn't affected. I wish they would explain what the new software is supposed to do so we would know what is being added or cured.

Last time I needed an update they told me to make sure I tuned to specific channel (I think it as 119) and then turn it off. It got the update pretty quickly.

Scott, that channel # ring a bell? (I suspect it was to make sure at least one tuner was looking at a specific sat). Tech support should be able to help on this one.

Bill

Each receiver have hardcoded service channel ( actually PIDs ), so selecting any visible channel doesn't required. Live it offline - in standby mode, and wait. If in stream exist the upgrade for your particular model, then you'll get it.
As was pointed before many times, targets selected by your serial numbers and a few more parameters; hint - press Sysinfo button and you'll get the info.

I just called tech support about my 522. He said he thought the software was released to everyone now, not just specific serial numbers. And, as others said, to get the update, leave both tuners off overnight. He made it sound like you can get it during the day if you get lucky, but you still have to have both tuners off.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts