Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
SOURCE
Tuesday, August 30, 2005
By GARRY BROWN
gbrown@repub.com
BOSTON - Pitcher David Wells of the Boston Red Sox began serving a six-game suspension yesterday after hearing that his appeal had been turned down by Major League Baseball.

The suspension means the Red Sox will need a starter for Friday, when his next turn would have come up.

Red Sox manager Terry Francona said he would "back up everybody" in the rotation to allow Wells to start Sunday, when his suspension will be over.

Wells drew his suspension because of a confrontation with umpires Angel Hernandez, Chris Guccione and Larry Poncino during a July 2 game at Fenway Park. Wells appealed, and his hearing before MLB officials took place last week.

"They said (at the hearing) I clearly bumped an umpire and sprayed him with spit. That comes from a guy who works for the commissioner's office, so what can you do? I don't know what the point was of even having a hearing. I think somebody from the outside should make the decision, not somebody representing MLB. I just don't think it's fair," Wells said.

On the night in question, Wells said he backed away from his argument with plate umpire Poncino. As he did so, he uttered a profanity under his breath.

"I got thrown out because the other guy (Guccione) read my lips, and he said he was protecting the plate umpire. He said he heard me, but I was talking to myself. I do that a lot when I'm pitching," Wells said.

In the ensuing milling-around near the mound, Wells was accused of bumping umpire Hernandez. The Red Sox pitcher said that, too, was misinterpreted. He said the presence of teammate Kevin Millar, who tried to intervene, led to some bumping, but he implied that it was not intentional.

"The way it is now, an umpire can throw you out at any time. You can't talk to them any more," Wells said.

"I heard about the decision today. I haven't got a letter about it yet, but I'm sure the reasoning (for the suspension) will be ridiculous. This just shows that players have a slim-to-none chance of winning at any hearing, and it gives umpires a reason to do whatever the hell they want to do. It's sad. I knew the consequences of what could happen out there. That's why I clearly stopped."

A gathering of reporters then broke into laughter when Wells's cell phone rang in his pocket. The laugh came because his cell phone's ringer plays the recurring theme in the movie, "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly."

Wells said the suspension "gives an advantage to New York" in the American League East race. It also could cost him money, maybe up to $300,000, because it could prevent him from making the number of starts (30) specified in his incentives-laden contract.

He took advantage of his press conference to take shots at commissioner Bud Selig.

"His office needs to get things right regarding suspensions and fines. And that whole steroids thing. I don't think MLB has a clue about it. I can't wait for us to win the World Series and have Selig come up to us with the trophy. I think he'll stay away from me," he said.ý8

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)