Went and picked up a new dish today

Status
Please reply by conversation.

drhydro

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 19, 2004
About a year ago I saw a large primestar dish at a defunct rat shack about a half hour away. I asked the owner (who lives above the ex shop) what he was going to do with it and he told me if I wanted it to grab it. Well, after a year of procrastinating I finally grabbed a buddys truck (that lives in the same town the rat shack is in) and snagged it.

This is the biggest p* dish i have seen. It measures 48" wide by 51" tall. I was able to get the dish, lnb arms and mount. I took it all apart at my buddys house, but unfortunately there was no way that dish is going into my audi sedan. So hopefully he will be able to bring the dish itself up to my house tomorrow. I have the lnb, lnb arms and mount here.

The only bummer is I had hoped it would fit on the same size roof mount as a 39" oval p* which is 2 and 3/8", but it uses a 3 " pole to mount on. That is too bad because i have a spare roof mount for a 39" p* here. So now i have to figure a way to get a 3" pipe mounted on my roof, as that is the only place i have that i will be able to get a clear LOS to the sat I want to point at with this dish, g10 (goodby rainfade on 11720 v :D ).

Anyone seen a 3" od diameter roof mount anywheres for a reasonable price?

holy crap...48x51?

Thats one big dish. I'd like to see once you get it set up what kind of signals you get on G10 :)

congrats on the new dish

Iceberg said:
holy crap...48x51?

Thats one big dish. I'd like to see once you get it set up what kind of signals you get on G10 :)

congrats on the new dish
Yeah, I figure that should make sure we have our all of RTN channels all the time :) Now just to figure out how to get it up on my roof lol.

I would put it on the ground, but there is no way I will be able to get a LOS to g10 unless i put up a 10-12' pole, and that is a huge amount of work. Just to dig the hole would require a backhoe, as I have said before digging a 4' deep hole here is a real PITA, and with disk problems in my back I am not about to try to dig it by hand.

I thought about just shimming the 2 3/8" mount that i have here, and filling the poles with concrete. The problem is I really dont think it will take a dish that large, considering that it is meant for a much smaller dish (39" x 29").

BTW, here is a pic I took of this dish last fall as it lay beside the rat shack

Attachments

• pstarsmall.JPG
    pstarsmall.JPG
    16.1 KB · Views: 295
VERY nice dish, I was up close and personal with this exact same dish today (Channel Master)

Very jealous here :eek:

Thanks Pete :)

What is funny is the ex-owner also has a c/ku bud on a trailer that used to be used for demoing c band. When I asked him about that dish he mentioned that he was thinking about setting that one up to play with FTA. I told him at that time (almost a year ago) that the p* was perfect for fta, that is when he told me to take it if i wanted it. So today I did :D

drhydro said:
BTW, here is a pic I took of this dish last fall as it lay beside the rat shack

it looks the same as 1.1m channel master ,i have one just like it

i have a 3" mount that thing is huge ,i dont like to use it ,you can get another mount from dow electronics 2 3/8 i think it's 26.00 shipped,at least that's what i paid for it.

doc you can check with mike kohl he always carries mounts that size plus he is a member here

spindoctor said:
it looks the same as 1.1m channel master ,i have one just like it
Most likely it is rated at 1.1m, it is a channel master dish. Strange tho, as it measures over 1.2 meter (121 cm x 129 cm) at least it does if i read the tape measure right lol.
i have a 3" mount that thing is huge ,i dont like to use it ,you can get another mount from dow electronics 2 3/8 i think it's 26.00 shipped,at least that's what i paid for it.
How do you like the dish mount from Dow? That would simplify stuff quite a bit, as I already have the roof mount for a 2 3/8 dish mount.

doc you can check with mike kohl he always carries mounts that size plus he is a member here
I will have to check with him to see what he has. I would much rather deal with a member or sponser here than "those other people" ;)

drhydro said:
Most likely it is rated at 1.1m, it is a channel master dish. Strange tho, as it measures over 1.2 meter (121 cm x 129 cm) at least it does if i read the tape measure right lol.

How do you like the dish mount from Dow? That would simplify stuff quite a bit, as I already have the roof mount for a 2 3/8 dish mount.

i like it it's solid,it's made for their dishes and if you decide to use a motor ,which i have u can use a split pvc pipe (the grey one)2" ,that fits perfect in the mount.
I forgot to tell you the mount has an extra plate , i guess
to be used with different dishes.

Nice, that sounds like the way to go. I will still stiffen the 2 3/8" roof mount with some cement though, then it should hold up to the high winds we get around here.

All you need now is a big old can of flat/Matt black paint!

Its the BEST color to paint your dish in snowy regions :)
As soon as the sun comes out the snow ice is GONE!

Every little helps!

After Katrina, I salvaged what was left of a 1.2 M Channel Master dish (same as yours) and the non-penetrating roof mount it was attached to. It had the 3" pole as well, but unfortunately the square base of the roof mount was rusted through, and the dish was cracked :( The 3" pole was fine though. Talk about HEAVY!

Do you have a flat roof? If so, a 3" NPRM like the one I scrounged parts from should work.

I will talk to Mike about getting one of those roof mounts that Iceberg found on his site. Thanks Tony.

Pete, excellant idea about the paint. I should do both of my Channel Master dishs. After I paint them I have some stuff to spray on those dishs, should help with snow coverage ;)

Tron, I have a fairly good slope on my roof, so I dont think I can use a NPRM :-(

As Pete said, a flat matte black works very well in snowy areas. I am going to try Krylon, I have had good luck with their paints before.

Last edited:
Yep, last thing you want are bright shinny colors! Or you may burn out LNB's!

drhydro said:
This is the biggest p* dish i have seen. It measures 48" wide by 51" tall. I was able to get the dish, lnb arms and mount. I took it all apart at my buddys house, but unfortunately there was no way that dish is going into my audi sedan. So hopefully he will be able to bring the dish itself up to my house tomorrow. I have the lnb, lnb arms and mount here.

I was looking for one like that! Can you tell me the model number behind the dish? Is it a Channelmaster?
Ex. mine is 39w X 43H
Pt # 3040642-01
mold # 1.0M 03

Thanks.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)