Were you charged for a DPP44 switch for a Must-Carry Install to a SuperDISH105/121?

SummitAdvantageRetailer

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 11, 2004
East Coast
Hey guys. Could you do me a favor and tell me if DISH Network charged you for the DPP44 switch for a must-carry 2nd dish install (61.5 or 148) if you already had a SuperDISH 121 installed for international channels? I'm getting conflicting answers where one side says yes, DPP44 switch is an exception to the must-carry free charge rule and another side that says no, DPP44 switch will be free. Could you guys tell me what you went through? Thanks a bunch!

Well seeing as there's no such thing as locals being on 105/121 and a wing dish, this is an impossibe scenario.

I didn’t go through this, but there is an issue in your original question
-If your locals are on Superdish, there are no channels on the wing that allow you to get the free dish. If you have a wing dish for must carry, then your locals are on 110 or 119.

You should get the DPP44 switch if you have an International channel (which constitutes a SD) and locals on 110 or 119 with a must carry on the wing.

Read some of the posts about adding the wing dish…some people are getting the DPP44 for free (must carry) or in the $100 add on package (if they don’t qualify for must carry)

BFG said:
Well seeing as there's no such thing as locals being on 105/121 and a wing dish, this is an impossibe scenario.

but if he had Int'l on 121 and Locals on 110 or 119, then it does pose an issue

But my point is that you dont need a superdish to get the locals that are not on 105/121, so I don't see why dish should have to pay for the switch because the customer chooses to have internationls.

I said locals and/or internationals. I wasn't sure if all of the local markets that are served by SuperDISH105 or 121 don't have add'l locals on the wings. I knew that my local area (Washington, DC area) has all of their locals on the SuperDISH if it's on the SuperDISH, but I can't speak for the rest of the US and Puerto Rico. ;)

The only way they would have an issue is
-locals on 110 or 119 with a channel or 2 on the wing
-International on 121

If his locals are on 121 or 105, he DOES NOT qualify for must carry because there are no channels that qualify

SummitAdvantageRetailer said:
I said locals and/or internationals. I wasn't sure if all of the local markets that are served by SuperDISH105 or 121 don't have add'l locals on the wings. I knew that my local area (Washington, DC area) has all of their locals on the SuperDISH if it's on the SuperDISH, but I can't speak for the rest of the US and Puerto Rico. ;)

No. If its on SD, all the locals for that area are on SD. Its only the ones who have locals on 110/119 and some on the wing

Washington DC is on 110 which can use a Dish500, NOT the Superdish.

By the way, this is not related to V* channels being on 61.5. I know the timing sucks and CSR's may think that it looks that way when the customer calls in for a must-carry. But I'm asking what if in those odd situations where someone might want perhaps Arabic SuperPack on the SuperDISH and want a second PBS on the wings for their kids.

By the way, this is not related to V* channels being on 61.5. I know the timing sucks and CSR's may think that it looks that way when the customer calls in for a must-carry. But I'm asking what if in those odd situations where someone might want perhaps Arabic SuperPack on the SuperDISH and want a second PBS on the wings for their kids.

Understood, but in the original question you said “locals on the Superdish”.
-Int’l on 121 and locals on 110/119 with a channel on wing…question to poll applies
-Locals on 105 or 121….question is irrelevant because its non-existant : )

Thanks for the confirm there. I wasn't sure if there was one queer local SuperDISH DMA market where one or two add'l channels popped up on the wings. Let me edit the original post then! :)

I am curious, what would E* do? I have a 61.5 for skyangel and then 110/119 for core programming. If I would subscribe for locals which are on 105... which require the SD would they install a D44 or would they charge me out the wazoo just to get my locals?

Thanks for the confirm there. I wasn't sure if there was one queer local SuperDISH DMA market where one or two add'l channels popped up on the wings. Let me edit the original post then! :)
Nope. None of the kind

You have to remember, when the SD came out, only the DP34 was available, so you couldn’t have more than 3 slots (it was done through hillbilly hookups, but Dish didn’t believe us)

mattb said:
I am curious, what would E* do? I have a 61.5 for skyangel and then 110/119 for core programming. If I would subscribe for locals which are on 105... which require the SD would they install a D44 or would they charge me out the wazoo just to get my locals?
Good question. Technically if you agree to 1 yr of locals and AT60, they should supply everything. The SD comes with a DP34 standard, but if you told them you have SkyAngel, they should give you the DP44

mattb said:

I had a customer in a similar situation. And it's hard to say because DPP44 switch is expensive and may expect you to pay for the upgraded cost to keep Sky Angel. But I've heard and seen cases where it's gotten waived. So you'll probably have to fight to get it for free. I'd call DISH directly and not a local retailer. Local retailers may not get reimbursed for that DPP44 switch.