Western vs. Eastern Arc

RickFox

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 5, 2009
texas
I have talked to several Dish Network sellers and have come up with differing information. What is correct?

I live in Dallas, TX which is an area now supported by the eastern arc. As a new subscriber, one retailer told me I would be sold western arc equipment, another told me I would be sold eastern arc equipment.

One dealer told me the western arc was really the "legacy arc" and that all new equipment would be eastern arc compatible. The only difference would be a 1000.2 dish if I was set up for the western arc, or a 1000.4 dish if I were set up for eastern arc reception. He also said that most if not all new customers would be set up for the eastern arc reception if that service was available in the new customer area at the time of the new subscription - which is the case for the Dallas area.

The other dealer mentioned that I was in the western arc and would be set up to receive the western arc.

Anyone know what is correct?

Another issue I have is that I plan to replace my current DirecTV setup in my RV with Dish Network. One dealer stated that, overall, reception across the US (from east to west coast) would be best when using western arc reception - except for issues that currently exist on the eastern coast.

The other dealer believes that the eastern arc reception would be best as eventually, the eastern arc service will be available across the entire US.

Anyone know what is correct!

New customers in an Eastern Arc market get an Eastern Arc setup UNLESS line of site issues

Dallas is a EA market (HD locals on 61.5 and MPEG4 versions of SD are also on 61.5)

so you should get a EA setup unless line of site issues or you dont want a HD receiver

Not only are their packages confusing, so are their dish setups. No wonder they have a hard time getting new subs. :rolleyes:

Iceberg,

If I take one of my HD receivers with me in the RV, should I expect to be able to see the eastern arc satellites when in the pacific coast states?

Laddyboy,

If I'm set up for EA, I understand that I will have a 1000.4 dish installed at my home location. I thus assume that I will have to take the same dish type with me when I travel.

Will the 1000.4 dish work when pointed toward the western arc satellites?

Laddyboy,

If I'm set up for EA, I understand that I will have a 1000.4 dish installed at my home location. I thus assume that I will have to take the same dish type with me when I travel.

Will the 1000.4 dish work when pointed toward the western arc satellites?

No, you would need a 1000.2 to get everything you would be used to getting. Many people do this by using a tripod mount designed for camping. You probably should just use a 1000.2 on the road and not worry about having a portable 1000.4. The 1000.2 should work just about anywhere although the elevation will be lower the farther north and east you travel.

Laddyboy,

I was looking at the installation guide (provided on this site toward the top) and noticed there were ZIP code listings for the San Francisco area included - eg EL was 24 degrees.

It seems I would be able to use the 1000.4 there although at a low angle. Assuming I picked only 1 dish to carry, do you have any idea which one would be the best?

Also, how about carrying the 1000.2 and 1000.4 LNB's and installing the best one for the location and then pointing to the associated satellites? An extra LNB wouldn't take up much room. This would assume the reflector is the same for both antennas.

I don't think the footprint for all the EA satellites goes that far west so you definitely would need a 1000.2. On the other hand, the footprints for all the WA satellites cover all the continental U.S. except possibly the extreme NE. If you had to choose one, it would be the 1000.2. I do not know if the reflector is identical for both dishes. They are close if not identical. They may be shaped slightly differently. I'm sure someone else around here would know about that for sure. I don't. I think the 1000.4 parts are keyed so they can't be swapped with WA antenna hardware though. I would just go with the 1000.2 for your mobile platform. The 1000.2 would work fine in Dallas but E* has a spotbeam on 61.5W that covered the Dallas DMA so they designated it an EA market. I use a 1000.2 in IL and could use one also where I have a home in SW FL, although I'm in an EA market. They are planning to mirror my DMA, Tampa, on 129W as well.

Thanks for the info. It has been quite helpful. If the receivers I get work on the EA, they should also work with the WA, correct?

Elsewhere, I am going to start another thread about receivers. Once I home in on what is the best choice for my requirements, I will be set to order the service.

Thanks again.

I too have a question regarding EA vs WA.......I presently have the WA with 1000.2 dish. I currently receive my SD locals & recently upgraded to HD. My locals are available in HD via EA only. Dish will install the correc dish to enable the reception of the HD locals..........but I thought I read that the SD programming on EA was worse than WA. Is that correct?

I too have a question regarding EA vs WA.......I presently have the WA with 1000.2 dish. I currently receive my SD locals & recently upgraded to HD. My locals are available in HD via EA only. Dish will install the correc dish to enable the reception of the HD locals..........but I thought I read that the SD programming on EA was worse than WA. Is that correct?

Do you mean the picture quality? The programming content is the same. The SD channels on EA are mpeg4 encoded. On the WA, they are mpeg2 encoded. I believe they may have lopped off a few additional pixels on the EA for encoding, but I really can't tell the difference myself.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts