WFN and MGM to shut down

zeebre12

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 25, 2015
new york
World Fishing Network and MGM are to shut down at the end of the year. It says on a Wikipedia pages for both channels. Someone must have got the information somewhere. Will WFN Canada still continue I wonder?

World Fishing Network and MGM are to shut down at the end of the year. It says on a Wikipedia pages for both channels. Someone must have got the information somewhere. Will WFN Canada still continue I wonder?
The only thing I have read about this (which may or may not be related) is that MGM now owns Epix, and the listing on Dish's website for Dish Movie Pack no longer shows Epix in that package.

I would take any information posted on Wikipedia with a grain of salt. I could literally log in to Wikipedia and post that I own Directv but that doesn't make it so!

I would take any information posted on Wikipedia with a grain of salt. I could literally log in to Wikipedia and post that I own Directv but that doesn't make it so!
If you own Directv, I guess I own Dish. I'm the one withholding every HD channel and app that exists from Bluegras. :devilish:biggrin

So both are not shutting down at all at the end of the year? If not would someone fix their Wikipedia pages?
It might be in WFN's and MGM's best interest to leave the incorrect information there. Then next year, when they don't shut down, they can spin it as "Due to popular demand from our viewers, we have decided to keep our channels on the air." They get some publicity, and generate some good will, and they didn't even have to do anything at all to get it.

I fixed the Wikipedia entry myself. AT&T just announced that they might be dropping MGM and WFN at the end of the year if they don't reach an agreement to extend its contract. It is a legal announcement that they are required to post. Some ding dong saw the notice and misunderstood what it meant.
Since AT&T is DTV and this is the Dish forum what is the relevance? Sounds like the typical negotiation ploy but does it apply to DTV, Dish, or both?

Since AT&T is DTV and this is the Dish forum what is the relevance? Sounds like the typical negotiation ploy but does it apply to DTV, Dish, or both?

It applies as it is a possible explanation for why someone modified Wikipedia to say these channels are going away.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
Again it is a possible explanation for why the wikipedia article was changed to say that the channels are going away. No one is caliming DISH is in negotiation with them.

Basically, anyone can go into a public Wikipedia page and make edits. However, it can be tracked. Instead of having a peeing contest with whoever is posting the wrong info, contact an admin at Wikipedia about the issue and they'll track the other user.

As for relevance. This is relevant. This is my first time reading this thread, but, I am a watcher of MGM. Heck, I watched Three Amigos on it just a few nights ago. If some buffoon is on Wikipedia posting wrong info, then I might foolishly assume that MGM is gone. AT&T is a big player in TV, but not the end all, be all, of which networks broadcast. Therefore, their subscribers aren't accurate in make statements about the closure of networks, just because Directv might drop them. It is important to viewers in the Dish forum, as well as any other Satellite/Cable/Internet TV forum.

Again it is a possible explanation for why the wikipedia article was changed to say that the channels are going away. No one is caliming DISH is in negotiation with them.
Man, sometimes it can be so frustrating on this forum. A post was made in the DISH forum about 2 services going away. Methinks it only natural to believe DISH would be involved since it's in the DISH forum, dontcha think? But when, a few posts later, AT&T is mentioned it clouds the water and all I have asked is - is DISH involved? Simple question answerable with a simple yes or no. Reread all the posts, there is obvious confusion now because people think the service is being shut down when actually it appears that DTV may lose them if it doesn't reach an agreement. Not the same thing. In other words it has nothing to do with DISH.

Is the US version of WFN different to the Canada version? Is there a specific US feed with a different schedule? Or is the Canada version carried in the US also? There is only one website for WFN anyway isn't there

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)